• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1971 Series IIa 88" Overhaul

Thanks for the link! Man but those guys really make a lot of stuff. I could see myself getting carried away ordering goodies from there. 😆
There a good video by way of introduction to them;

and I see they now have their own channel

It's ALIVE!!! 💥 It took some fiddling around to get the timing reasonably set but it does run and the engine sounds great. No knocks or weird sounds and the oil pressure came up right away so that's good. The only problem is that it won't stay running unless I pump the throttle continuously so there's a carb issue of some kind. No big deal - at least the engine seems good.
So it's carburetor teardown time. It seemed to be in excellent condition when I overhauled it so it'll be interesting to find out what's wrong with it. Hopefully I can cure its woes quickly and get on with things! 😀
Yeehaaa!
Video please... :D

There a good video by way of introduction to them;

and I see they now have their own channel

Yeehaaa!
Video please... :D
Thanks mikeau, Yeehaaa indeed! I'm pretty pumped about it. Hmmm... at 56 years old am I allowed to say I'm "pumped"? How about "stoked"? Nope. I'll stick with pumped. 🤣

That being said I'm having trouble making it run well. The engine sounds excellent mechanically and starts easily but won't stay running unless I'm pumping the throttle almost continuously. Basically I'm running it off the accelerator pump. I've statically set the timing to 3 degrees BTDC and tried moving it around a bit from there but it doesn't make any difference. The points gap is set to around 0.015" so that should be alright I think. I had the distributor rebuilt and recurved by DistributorGuy Jeff so I trust that it's good. I carefully rebuilt the carburetor and have since removed it and checked it again and it's all clear - accelerator pump is strong, jets and ports clear, throttle shaft snug and well sealed, etc. I'm not sure where to go from here. I seems like a carb problem to me but the carb seems good. It kind of feels like a massive vacuum leak but I can't find one. I think I'll post this issue on the regular Series forum so more people see it and maybe the pro's will chime in and help me out.

As for a video, yes I will try to post something but only after I get it to idle properly. Nobody wants to watch me struggling and cursing as I try to keep my newly rebuilt engine running! 😁

Doesnt sound like timing is the issue - although that will obviously need setting once its running.

Sounds like its running (very) lean.. how do the plugs look after it stops running? wet or dry?
Assume you have turned out the mixture screw..?

Have you re- checked the fuel level in the float bowl?
Can cause all kinds of problems if too low (or high - and of course, if the float valve is sticking).

Not easy with one person, but if you can start the engine and spray something flammable around the carb/intake then you might get some idea if its pulling in air somewhere (very obviously, do this in a well ventilated area and take all necessary precautions).

Try giving it a rev and block off the throttle body with your hand (or something less valuable). This should create vacuum in the venturi and pull fuel through the jets etc.
May just clear something you have missed.

Doesnt sound like timing is the issue - although that will obviously need setting once its running.

Sounds like its running (very) lean.. how do the plugs look after it stops running? wet or dry?
Assume you have turned out the mixture screw..?

Have you re- checked the fuel level in the float bowl?
Can cause all kinds of problems if too low (or high - and of course, if the float valve is sticking).

Not easy with one person, but if you can start the engine and spray something flammable around the carb/intake then you might get some idea if its pulling in air somewhere (very obviously, do this in a well ventilated area and take all necessary precautions).

Try giving it a rev and block off the throttle body with your hand (or something less valuable). This should create vacuum in the venturi and pull fuel through the jets etc.
May just clear something you have missed.
It does seem like it's running lean doesn't it? I mean if I have to add gas to make it run then I guess that's obvious. I have tried covering the carb intake while it's running to choke it but because it's running so erratically I can't really tell if it's helping. I suppose it probably is as the problem seems to be fuel starvation. It just doesn't make sense as I know for a fact that the main jet circuit is clear from the bowl to the venturi so why isn't it getting gas?! Logically speaking I guess that means that the bowl isn't supplying enough fuel so I'd better look more closely at the needle & seat and the lift pump too. What an interesting puzzle! 😄

Back
Top Bottom