• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Early swivel ball lube question

Barlow

Trekker
I have a 1983 90 with original front axle. So the swivel balls are lubricated by the Diff oil I believe. Has this been superceded by the one shot grease packs, or do I depend on the oil still?

I have a 1983 90 with original front axle. So the swivel balls are lubricated by the Diff oil I believe. Has this been superceded by the one shot grease packs, or do I depend on the oil still?
Unless somebody tells me differently, I'm pretty sure the swivel housings are intended to be lubricated quite independently of the final drive unit, the seals should stop transfer of oil from swivels to axle tube and vice versa. The swivel housing should be filled with oil of recommended spec and level. One shot grease can be used instead of oil although opinions on efficacy are divided.

Thanks Cliff. I think I was wrong to be honest. You fill the hubs with oil until it leaks out from the level plug, duh.
Good to know grease has replaced it though, I'll use that. Thanks again :)

I used grease on my 1988 oil had leaked everywhere,coated the insides of the wheels etc big mess. Rebuilt the whole assembly,buy courteco seals though one of my cheapies blew in two months !

On the ones Ive done the seal does separate the diff from the swivel unit and one shot grease then lubes the CV joint etc.. and also adds the great aroma and mess when changing them !

Back
Top Bottom