• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

I installed an aftermarket central locking and alarm/immobiliser kit (Hawk) three years ago and it has worked fine until now. The passenger door was no longer locking or unlocking.
Checked the fuses and connections from the 'black box' and all ok. Took the door card and furniture off to access the solenoid and found that the connectors from the solenoid to the wiring for the black box had corroded away. Cheap little Chinesium bullets with thin hair-like wires!
Stripped the wires back and used solder connectors to join them, wrapped the joints in amalgamating tape and stuffed them back into the convoluted tubing.
All working properly again.
I should do the driver's door but I'll wait until that side plays up!

It's all about the towing side of it if the bloody thing breaks down, as we are all are aware of, not a good idea to tow any constant 4 wheel drive anywhere at any speed without dismantling half the sodding running gear, as if it doesn't add insult to bloddy injury. Although I might add the instructions on the sticker might be for the tow-er or tow-ee, I'm sure someone will correct me if in wrong

I can hear and see for that matter my MOT fella now when I tell him he's got to take my prop shafts off to test each axle, and I can hear his oppo who's probably 20 at the moment when he's asked for 9/16 spanner thinking he's probably got involved in a drug deal and someone is asking for just over an half ounce of spanner, I can't see my old wagon passing period, and still get an 150 quid bill and a large poke in the eye into the bargain

Back to your first thing I'm pretty sure that's for the eventuality of a breakdown and your going to need towing, like I said, if I'm wrong someone's going to tell me I'm wrong, but land rover ain't going to tell you how to do a brake test, but with po faced cheek are going to tell you how to take it of the side of the road without completing fucking it up

It always baffled me....' naaaaah mate, can't test 4x4 on rollers'
Me ' it has a 2x4 to 4x4 selector.....so how ye not understand that as a motor engineer...'🧐
Defender is constant 4x4 though, unlike series.
No axle (or single wheel on an axle) should be allowed to spin if the other wheels are (relatively) stationary or you risk damaging the centre diff.

Back
Top Bottom