• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2.25 petrol engine problems

Heinie1978

Shifting Up
Hello All.

I need advice. A few months ago after a short 30km drive I found my engine to be completely covered with engine oil. The breathers were'nt clogged as I built an advanced breather system. I found the rocker cover gasket to be cracked and as the oil seeped out, the fan blew it all back --- so everything was covered in oil.

I fixed this and all went well......untill last weekend. Again oil all over everything....all of the oil.
I found the oil to be blown out of the oil filler pipe on the side of the engine. Condensation in the oil,but no mayonaise.. Also had it tested to reveal cyllinder head gasket not blown. But not sure.
Want to look in the radiator today to see if there is any oil in there. If there is none...could this mean that the piston rings are fried? How can I detect a cracked block/head? Can it be a crack?

Other than that Landie runs fine even with oil spewing out. Also, oil level is at the last line on the dipstick..add any oil above that and it gets blown out...

Please help.

What was the test? I expect it was a compression test (replaces sparking plug with a pressure gauge) - do you know what the results were?

If its piston problems you will probaly have excessive crankcase fuming when the filler cap is removed (hot engine.) I'm not talking about a few fumes but thick choking stuff which will make you want to move away. The engine will probably be very oily as the fumes will force their way out of everywhere.

Does the thing run nice and smoothly or is there a slight roughness - like a weak output from one cylinder?

Hey, no compression test, they tested for fumes and oil in the cooling system a mechanic suggested this.
Although I do know that a compression test will reveal the truth....see if I can borrow the neighbours one....he is the mechanic that suggested the test.

When the oil filler cap is off and the engine runs, there is a gurgling/ slopping sound that I can hear. No heavy oil fumes.
And also no oil coming from dipstick hole if dipstick is removed and engine gunned.

:) Sounds like you have no more than an oil leak if as you say it runs fine...Why do you suspect fried rings or head gasket gone ????...what's the engine fault.. apart from being covered in oil ?? :)
The gurgling sound you can hear thro the oil filler is probably the oil sloshing around in the sump pan, water in the oil will turn it grey/white depending on how much is in it.
Have you checked the oil pipe union at the back of the block (bulkhead end)..it will push oil out and all over the block if it's loose ...also the cork rocker cover gasket can get pushed out or squashed if the three rocker cover nuts are overtightened...that'll also throw oil all over the block :)

Checked the radiator last night, clean as a whistle. No oil in the water and no water in the oil.
Oil Pressure when running is between 35 and 65 psi...text book...
Please describe the oil pipe union at the back of the engine? How will I spot it. Not mentioned in any of my Manuals.

It would seem that as soon as I put strain on the engine as in driving, oil is pushed up out of the oil filler pipe. I do not have a propper cap on it as the original was damaged and I put on an old radiator cap. Not a tight seal.
Oil is deffinatly leaking from oil filler pipe....but the breather on that pipe is clean.

Still very confused. Engine also starts on first crank and idles nicely. Slight misfire though but that due to advance not set correctly.

Please give some more advice. Any will be greatly appreciated.

:) On the back of the head, driver side, bulkhead end, is a 1/2 inch (I think) nut with a metal pipe going to it...looks a bit like a metal brake or clutch pipe....that's the one I'm on about :)

The oil filler pipe (on mine) is about 18inches long, and it stands tall from the sump...if oil is being pushed all the way up that i'd suggest that there's way too much oil in the sump ??? It shouldnt need sealing, just a cap to stop splashes
Perhaps it's leaking from where the filler pipe joins the block/sump ??? new O ring needed ??
Or...perhaps the oil is dribbling down the outside of the tube after a bit of innacurate pouring ??
Have you got the breather pipe, from the oil filler to the manifold emission control, connected ?

Hello, yes, the breather from the oil filler as well as the rocker cover breather is connected to the emission control on the manifold. We are not talking about the same amount of oil that will be on the side of the oil filler tube after an accidental spill, I'm talking about oil leaking into the cab, covering the inside of the bonnet, oil everywhere, total volume of about a pint.

But this happend only after I put oil into the engine because the reading on the dipstick mas at Minimum L (3 reading lines, Full ,Low and Min Low).

My ideas are 1. There is too much oil in the engine and dipstick reading may be wrong.
2. Oil is being pumped up towards the pistons etc, but the route back is blocked/guncked and oil can't flow back so increased pressure forces oil out of hole with minimum resistance...leaky oil filler cap.

How am I doing?

My gut tells me my piston rings and cyl head is fine and that the problem is somewhere else..its just that I don't know what more I should do.

When did you last change the oil filter ? A blocked filter and build up of 'gunge' in the filter bowl base can give problems.

If this is sudden dipstick should not be a problem - but overfilling would give this sort of problem. The inverted cup on the dipstick (that sets the length) should be fixed to the disptick obviously. Just worth a quick check that that has not moved.

Guide - I just measured my dipstick. The bottom of the cup is 490mm from the bottom of the dipstick, the 'High' mark is 414mm from the bottom of the cup and my dipstick tube is 295mm long from the top to the engine clamp nut. Just check the dipstick tube clamp nut is done up while you are at it (you should not be able to move or rotate the tube).

Caution: Hopefully someone else can confirm the dipstick length I have given as my engine has an oil cooler and that may change the static volume (haven't checked the dipstick part numbers).

Found the pipd at the back of engine,will remove and clean over the weekend,see if it does anything. Can anyone indicate symptomes of fried piston rings and also symptomes of blown cyl head gasket?

:) Can I suggest that you dont remove it yet ??... a wipe with a clean rag will show if it's leaking...if it's not leaking then leave it alone. I'm assuming that you cant actually see the oil pouring out of anything while the engine is running ?? The oil on the underside of the bonnet is helpful...if it's (mostly) at the back, it's possibly the oil pipe to the head...if it's more at the front then my best guess would be the crankshaft front seal...and the oil is being thrown up onto everything..:rolleyes:

Oil mostly at back . I assume oil only thrown out when driving ie. engine under some strain. When idling no oil being pushed out. I am 95% sure Oil spews from under filler cap. What would this mean?

Oil mostly at back . I assume oil only thrown out when driving ie. engine under some strain. When idling no oil being pushed out. I am 95% sure Oil spews from under filler cap. What would this mean?

Mostly that there's too much oil in there !! ... Or, that there's a big pressure build up in the crankcase, are all the breathers clear ? Does it smoke loads ? - I can see that you're a lot worried about it being the rings or head..Both of those things will give a range of symptoms, lots of smoke being a common one to both of them.
Both will also cause a noticeable loss of performance too. Back pressure or blow by from worn rings would cause the crankcase to pressurize...a compression test is really the only way to check that one out properly.
Clean all of your engine bay and engine ...that way you stand a chance of seeing where the oil is coming from...it's a nasty job but very much worth it..Try using one of the de-greaser products on it.
Oil on the back of the engine bay is most likely from the oil pipe I described, it'll maybe need a new copper washer...

If your convinced it's the filler cap try wrapping it in kitchen roll then cling film if kitchen roll soaked after drive that will prove it for you.
My 2.5 Sherpa diesel was blowing dipstick out and spewing oil everywhere ut still pulled well and no excess oil i exhaust.
When eventually decided to take head off and have a look gasket was blown and pressurising oilways. replaced gasket and has been no bother since.
It has been suggested to run engine with breather out to see if you have excess crank pressure did you do this after a run when engine hot?

Morning all

This weekend, went to clean the engine, found most oil to be on the rear of the engine, mostly on passenger side. But I changed the rocker cover gasket 4months ago and its as solid as a rock. (Changed it because of oil leak due to gasket being torn) Maybe it is leaking at the rear, will look into that, but as it always are in series llandies, when I wanted to crank the engine, the battery was dead....figures.

Will jump start from other car and then let engine idle for a while and look for any oil leaks.

Will keep in touch.

Hi there,

I wish I had an answer to your rpoblem, but rather I'm just letting you know you aren't alone - I have the exact same problem on my bosses series IIA 2.25 petrol!

I rebuilt the engine last year and he'd only driven for a few miles when oil was spewed out of the oil filler neck and all over the engine.

Since then, I've completely stripped and rebuilt theengine again - but still the problem persists!

As you'd expect with a rebuild, there's no crankcase compression or anything like that. I too have that hissing/gurgling sound you mention which is definately coming from the filler neck.

The problem only seems to occur when the oil gets hot and I can make it happen with the vehicle stationary by keeping the revs high (you should try it!).

If I find out the cause I'll let you know - I'd appreciate you doing the same for me. :)

Good luck.
George.

Hello There.

Wel, its been a month or 2 and I havn't been in my garage since......work and holidays being hectic.
But as today is Friday, I've got a date with my garage.
I havn't been able to get oil spewing under heavy revs, and it would seem to me that the oil is only spewing out when I'm driving...that is pulling along the heavy 109 body.

Was wondering if I should use some sort of cleaning agent in the oil and then flush it.
What do you think?

Can this cause any problems?

George, seeing that you rebuilt the engine, did you renew the piston rings?
If so, then it doesn't make sense. YET it happens.......anyone else out there....help please, the price of oil is too high to let it spew all over the place.

Hi Again,

When I rebuilt the engine, it had the works! Rebore & Pistons, cam-bushes, cam- chain, seals, gaskets, oil-pump, etc, etc.

I drained out 2 litres of oil on Friday (so thatthe level dropped to just above the minimum mark) and gave it a gentle run around and the oil leak had stopped. I intend to run it up again on Monday (when I get it back from being MOT tested) and will then see if it leaks when I hold high revs on.

Talking to people, they all go straight for the mystical crankcase compression (which I don't have and which is the easy option!)

Can I ask, before your 30km drive which highlighted this proble, had you had problems before?

My engine was fine UNTIL I had work done on it and rebuilt it the first time. I'm just interested as to how your problem started.

I'll do a bit more poking around over the weekend and see if anyone has anymore ideas as to what may be giving us both this trouble.

Regards
George.

My thoughts on using flushing oil - don't!

I used flushing oil in a Ford Pinto engine many years ago - to try to get rid of that horrible white, oily gunge that the Pinto seemed to suffer from. Two days later, it blew up on the motorway!

Flushing oil often removes carbon etc, that is helping a worn engine stay together - you use it at your peril! lol

Regards
George.

I havn't been able to get oil spewing under heavy revs, and it would seem to me that the oil is only spewing out when I'm driving...that is pulling along the heavy 109 body.

Was wondering if I should use some sort of cleaning agent in the oil and then flush it.
What do you think?

Can this cause any problems?

:) My main suspects for your leak are now the sump pan gasket or the rear crankshaft seal - Theory: When you are testing it and it is stationary the oil is sitting in the sump, below the level of the join. As you drive it the oil is sloshed to the back of the sump pan where it rises up the back of the block, helped by the crank - the resulting rise in pressure at either or both of the seals is forcing the oil through. This may also be amplified if the crankcase is being pressurized through having worn rings - a compression test will answer that bit ;)

Dont bother with flushing oil, modern oils have enough detergents in them to keep on top of carbon build up etc (mostly) and theres not much to be gained by using them in this case ... Instead, perhaps do a change with an el-cheapo oil, run it for 50miles and then get rid of it and use some good stuff :) But dont bother until you've checked for the source of the leak, clean every part of the engine and you'll be able to see more clearly where the oil is coming from ... Sounds like your date in the garage is with a rag and a lay down underneath a landrover :D how romantic eh, perfect ...

Hey all.

Histrory of my Landie.
Had it for about 45 days and on the way home, the accelartor got stuck and I was flying down the road.....scary... steped on the clutch and engine over reved, broke a ring or two.
Had it replaced as well as the cyl head skimmed at reputable mechanic.
Went fine after that, then first problem with oil leaking was on a camping trip up in the mountains.
The seal on the oil filler cap blew and resulted in oil everywhere.
After this it comes and goes.

Recently it is everytime I drive a further distance..ie. roads with a 100km/h speed limit (not that I drive that fast.)

George, I also had this sneaky suspicion that everytime the oil blows out it's when the oil has been topped up.
As if the engine only wants a set amount of oil (on the L of dipstick) anything more will be blown out.

Wil refrain from engine flush then...can not afford a engine blow up.

Back
Top Bottom