• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2.25 petrol popping through exhaust

Bilge rat 1

Big Landy Fan
Really wish I could sort this, Everything checks ok , all new parts, runs great ticks over fine till you get it nice and hot , then does this . I’m stumped, can anyone post a vid for me 🙄

Really wish I could sort this, Everything checks ok , all new parts, runs great ticks over fine till you get it nice and hot , then does this . I’m stumped, can anyone post a vid for me 🙄
Mine did that once, it was the night before we were due to set up at the Billing show. It ran great until it got warm and would run OK on tickover but would splutter and pop, especially on the overrun, and I was pulling my hair out for about 5 hours. It turned out to be a dodgy centre lead (coil to distributor), which seemed quite new as well.

I don't know where the coil is mounted on yours, but if the HT lead is traversing from the bulkhead to the engine it's gonna get more hammer than the 4 plug leads, even if the coil is on top of the engine the extra heat will soften it.

There's only a thin carbon strip inside and it's easily broken, and the unassuming shiny yellow or orange HT lead might be the cause!
It's very difficult to determine without literally swapping it with another one, as it depends on whereabouts the lead is resting at the time.
It's one of the most deceptive faults I ever had! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mine did that once, it was the night before we were due to set up at the Billing show. It ran great until it got warm and would run OK on tickover but would splutter and pop, especially on the overrun, and I was pulling my hair out for about 5 hours. It turned out to be a dodgy centre lead (coil to distributor), which seemed quite new as well.

I don't know where the coil is mounted on yours, but if the HT lead is traversing from the bulkhead to the engine it's gonna get more hammer than the 4 plug leads, even if the coil is on top of the engine the extra heat will soften it.

There's only a thin carbon strip inside and it's easily broken, and the unassuming shiny yellow or orange HT lead might be the cause!
It's very difficult to determine without literally swapping it with another one, as it depends on whereabouts the lead is resting at the time.
It's one of the most deceptive faults I ever had! :thumbsup:
Yep same as yours on bulkhead and I see where you’re coming from, May get a substitute and try it , about only thing I’ve not tried 👍

Back
Top Bottom