• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2000 Td5 110 Power Loss Under Load

MIKESLANDY

Offroader
Hello all, my brothers 110 is acting up again, she lacks power under load ie. towing or doing 65 , it starts missing. He replaced the fuel pump and filter 6 months ago, had the head done 3 weeks ago. I suspect a loss of fuel pressure, bad regulator??. Where is this item and are there any checks he can do.?
Thanks in advance
Mike

MAF sensor fault?

Try waggling the connector. The dealer sorted mine a couple of months ago.

Another thought. it may be sucking air into the fuel system.

Thanks for the replies guys, just had a word with him he tells me that she motors away fine at 60 on the flat but when climbing she starts chugging as if going over rumbe strips, or if he is towing at 40 the same thing happens.
Sorry for the vague descriptions.
Mike

Sounds to me like its an overboost issue,when the engine is really working hard and making lots of boost the wastegate needs to open to control max boost.If it cant waste enough the Ecu see's a potentially damaging situation and cuts fuel output - the boost then dies off,the fuel is restored and it statrs to make power again then rapidly oveboosts again.
Drivers report it as a misfire,but its not,its just the ecu shutting down then opening up again.Usually on defender spec TD5's its caused by the wastegate arm siezing up in the turbo housing.Disconnect the arm at the turbo end and check that the arm is nice and free.WD40 is your only hope if it isnt.DO NOT adjust the length of the operating arm or you will have even more trouble.Check the little pipe on the boost capsule is ok too.Beyond that you really need Testbook to see what else is going on.

Thanks guys, will check out the MAF sensor and what seems more likely is the boost wastegate as the head was just skimmed and perhaps all was not reassembled correctly, I presume this is sort of a dump valve on the turbo??
Will pass on the info and report back
Thanks again
Mike

Thanks for the help guys, turned out to be the boost wategate was stiff and not opening fully, spot on Jon. All is now well, not sure if he lubed it or not but is now working fine, loads of power.
Cheers
Mike

Sounds to me like its an overboost issue,when the engine is really working hard and making lots of boost the wastegate needs to open to control max boost.If it cant waste enough the Ecu see's a potentially damaging situation and cuts fuel output - the boost then dies off,the fuel is restored and it statrs to make power again then rapidly oveboosts again.
Drivers report it as a misfire,but its not,its just the ecu shutting down then opening up again.Usually on defender spec TD5's its caused by the wastegate arm siezing up in the turbo housing.Disconnect the arm at the turbo end and check that the arm is nice and free.WD40 is your only hope if it isnt.DO NOT adjust the length of the operating arm or you will have even more trouble.Check the little pipe on the boost capsule is ok too.Beyond that you really need Testbook to see what else is going on.

I agree with you Jon, It sounds like its overboosting under load and the wastegate arm seizing sounds the most likely fault. I had a similar problem on my supercharged MGB but due to the layout of the components it just had no power at all.

Back
Top Bottom