• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2001 landrover freelander 1 1.8L k series gs twin cam 16v.

landrover7654

In Second Gear
Currently have a 2001 1.8L freelander twin cam 16v k series and I have been told that it has a bmw engine but still not sure. Checking if anyone would know ,thanks.

As you are lucky enough to have the 1.8 K series engine, designed by Rover in the Mid 1980's and was very advanced for it's age, it met most emissions requirements without the catalytic converter other manufactures fitted. (Honda had nothing to do with the Rover K Series, they did make an engine that they also called the K Series but that was made much later and after the split from Rover cars).
Now you need to take some precautions with the K series.

Do you know the history of the engine in any way, i.e. has it had the head gasket replaced in the past?
Make sure you check the thermostat if you have no history, maybe even worth replacing as if this weakens instead of slowly letting the cold water in it can rush in to the engine causing water shock which can cause problems, mine cracked the rear of the block... though mine had done by then a decent high mileage, I put more miles on it in two years than it had done before I bought it!
Again if you do not know the history, it is worth doing the timing belt and replacing the water pump to ensure it has good coolant flow around the system.

The K series lived on in MG cars, and a updated version is in the MG3 currently, though it is the last version of it...

Their is an updated head gasket that is better, developed by Lotus when they put the engine in the Elise but also you should get metal dowels to replace the plastic ones to locate the head... the original K Series engines had metal until BMW bean counters changed them to plastic, bit of heat and the head can move! (Also a common problem most BMW engines, including the TD5)

I have had a few K Series engines in various vehicles from the Rover group and found them to be great engines and would not worry about having another in the future.

Hey I have a 09 lr2 looking to do engine swap. What be my best option for engines ?!
You would be best starting a new thread to ask that question.

Also you need to give some hints at what you want from the engine swap, more torque for off-road ability, better cruising speed on the motorways, more fuel efficient, quieter etc.

You would be best starting a new thread to ask that question.

Also you need to give some hints at what you want from the engine swap, more torque for off-road ability, better cruising speed on the motorways, more fuel efficient, quieter etc.
Hey ok thank you for the advice!! I’ll try make a new post thread with more info

Back
Top Bottom