• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

3.5efi poor cold running

paulwrigley

Accelerating Away
3.5 E.F.I Auto.
First time to work in the beast this morning, hmmmmmmm.
She fires up quite well and runs well on the revs when cold, but she hates ticking over until thoroughly warmed up, after which she runs like a dream.
Started up OK this morning, pulled out the drive and down into the lane, and then promptly cut out in the middle of the lane.......CHEERS!!!!!!
Took 3 minutes on the starter feathering and pumping the throttle before she'd fire again. After that, I kept the rev's up myself at junctions but once she warmed up, didn't need to, she ticked over fine (faster than when cold) and pulled like a train.
She's had new plugs/leads/dizzy cap/rotor arm. I've seen something in the manual about a cold start injector in the induction side?
Any ideas chaps?
cheers

3.5 E.F.I Auto.
Any ideas chaps?
cheers

After a bit of trial and error this weekend, we THINK we've sussed it. on the front of the engine is mounted the EXTRA AIR VALVE for start up and cold running. We recon this had gone U/S because if we diconect the pipe joint on the plenum chamber side of the valve to allow a bit more air in, the engine suddenly ticks over sweet as a nut! I tried the old suck/blow test down the tube to the valve and I can feel a diffrence in flow rate through the valve. For the first second or two, it's free flow, but then I can hear the valve click and the flow is very restricted, even when cold...........which is wrong?
Next problem is.,........

replacement valve = £150 plus........IF you can get one!!!!!!!
Only hope is EBAY, there's a guy in Ramsgate selling 2nd hand ones (which he RECONS are in good working order) for £25.
Think for £25 I might risk it!

If you take the pipe off, the revs will rise.

My 1988 RR wouldn't start very well or tickover when cold. It was the temperature sensor, the larger one near the temperature guage sender.

Chris

:)
If you take the pipe off, the revs will rise.

My 1988 RR wouldn't start very well or tickover when cold. It was the temperature sensor, the larger one near the temperature guage sender.

Chris

Ahhh, Ok, well, so far, we've found what look to be 3 different sensors. We've replaced the one on the front of the block (on the drivers side of the centreline) , then on the passengerside on the top of the block, there are 2 mounted side by side very close to each other and we've changed the awkward one at the back. So what's the other one, the one that's a bit easier to get at?
Cheers.:)

My 89 efi starts ,then cuts out after a few minutes when cold, if you don't give it a little throttle.

Our local independent LR garage advised me to disconnect the fuel enrichment as it over fuels, still starts okay but can be a bit tempramental till warm.

The mechanic said they can be a bit of a pain, especially if some of the connectors are dirty, causes the wrong voltage to be fed in so too much fuel is supplied.
Might try a new temp.sensor.

He said they had one in with flooding problems, apparantly the owner started it each morning to move it so his wife could get her car out, then switched it off-so it was always overfuelling.

Back
Top Bottom