• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

90 Td5 Fuel Pump

THE RICKSTER

Shifting Up
Hi everyone.

Got myself a whirring noise coming from the fuel pump in the tank. From my mechanical experience pumps get noisy when they are on there way out. Therefore i am going to change it. Read on the job card that there is a special tool required. Has anybody done this job before and know how special this tool is? Are special tools easy to obtain from Land Rover? Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks The Rickster

Rick, I reckon if the tool was available from Land Rover it would cost a fortune.

I'll check the other pages of the Workshop Manual tonight and see if there's any dimensions of the tool and we, I mean you, can make one. :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone else has removed the pump from the tank and another method can be used without the 'special tool'.

AJ

The tool required to remove the locking ring from the fuel pump housing is LRT-19-009.

Can the job be done without the tool?

DSC00109 (600 x 800).jpg

Cheers,

AJ

Most in Tank pumps we use a Composite Hammer and a pry bar. Tap them round.

Vectras don't have cut outs, Rover 75s have a plastic nut. So it's make do and a clout.;)

Chris

Most in Tank pumps we use a Composite Hammer and a pry bar. Tap them round.

Vectras don't have cut outs, Rover 75s have a plastic nut. So it's make do and a clout.;)

Chris

Thanks for the link. had a look at the tool and see what you mean by just knocking it around. Used that method many a time!! Thanks very much for the advice.

Ricky

Thanks for the link. had a look at the tool and see what you mean by just knocking it around. Used that method many a time!! Thanks very much for the advice.

Ricky
:eek: You use that method on helicopters and not the special tools!

So when do you want to sort it out Rick?

mmmm its only military copters you work on?? Or is there any charter companies we should be aware of?? :D

Cheers

Just spent the last 4 hours taking out the tank, fitting the pump (no problem) but we just can't get the tank and supporting plate back on.

Checked the manual and it just says refit. Is there a special way it goes back on?

Any tips or advice appreciated.

I am aching all over after wrestling with that tank last night.

I've since read in an old thread that the tank is a well known tight fit and a sod to get in and out. The thread mentioned two sturdy tyre levers and a copper hammer would be required!! :eek: We were using a crow bar but still couldn't get it in.

Have you got it sorted yet Rick?

AJ

Probly best you can now walk your physical test :D
If it was today I'd certainly be taking that option. :eek:

Sorted the tank this afternoon. The 90 was on ramps so, to give more maneuverability of the tank, we dropped the 90 onto stands under the chassis allowing the rear axle to drop right down but it still required substantial force to get back into place.

Now we know what to do, I reckon it's 1.2 or 2 hour job. :rolleyes:

AJ

Back
Top Bottom