• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Any Advice?

she looks like she has been neglected from the word go

the more i look... the more i agree with you...

i have just gone through some of the pics the seller emailed me and everytime i look a bit closer... the uglier it looks...

i am starting to think its perhaps not the right one...

i suppose ets , if your willing to put the money and work into it then the one on e bay might be worth going to have a look at.
but it does look tatty.
now , one things does strike me , who is the guy selling it , why is he selling it (is he selling it on behalf of the nt?) and why chuck in the wheels and seat?
the interior will need sorting , have you priced one up yet? you said youd want it painting so if i were you id get a quote on that and it will probably need a good dose of waxoil.
also did you ask him the usual defender questions? door bottoms etc?
if you do want to go and have a look defo bring someone with you.
i dont know much past b reg 90's but id certianly go over it inch by inch just to make sure.

I would say you're a bit too hung up on the mileage. A Tdi (200 or 300, it don't really matter) is only just run in at 100K, PROVIDED its had regular maintenance, especially oil changes. What really matters is how those miles were done. If it was all in low range on rough ground and it only got washed so the mechanic could get near it when something broke, then it will be a dog and a money pit. However, if it was 100,000 enthusiat miles, occasionally off-roaded and then maticulously cleaned afterwards, then all should be merry and bright.

as one who has bought 2 of these things this year (stolen) I had NFU pay up no quibble £8k for an N plate with 116k on the clock and £6500 for an M with 90k. I reckon £5.5k isn't bad. A hard life? yes but thats what it was made for - its a land rover

Paul, that looks like a 300TDi, which usually have a small quirk around that amount of miles, or so I've heard...... But then again if you look after it, it should go a few more at least!

Maybe so, but I'd still rather by a 100K landy thats been cared for and spend the money personalising it than spend less on a low mileage vehicle that may well need attention to chassis, bulkhead and door bottoms. Ask Nobber how far the price difference goes towards making a bad one good again.

As I metioned earlier, a lot of the problem parts can look OK, but all the trouble is hidden on the inside, door bottoms and bulkhead especially. If its been neglected, as the vehicle in question clearly has been, chances are this rot will break out sooner rather than later.

Paying a mechaninc to fix things that break (maintained regadless of cost is the advertiser's way of putting it) is not the same as looking after a vehicle.

Paul, that looks like a 300TDi, which usually have a small quirk around that amount of miles, or so I've heard...... But then again if you look after it, it should go a few more at least!

Yes its a 300tdi and not mine:( But its got a lot of the extras already on it. Just get some knocked off as it needs new wheels, they are not rated for a 110. But it dose look god for its age.

Paul

Ask Nobber how far the price difference goes towards making a bad one good again.

minus the cost of the initial vehicle , with second hand parts where possible , somewhere sround 2.5k so far.
thats without buying nice things like seats , tyres , power steering bits etc.
although mine was in far worse a state than this one.
ets , it wouldnt do any harm to go take a look but i wouldnt be expecting to be driving home in it.
personally if it were me looking for one id be looking for a chelsea tractor , hang in there , with all this carbon emission , higher tax and bad press id say there should be a few 110's on the market that might be a lot less work than this one.
but like i said , it wouldnt do any harm to go have a look.

Back
Top Bottom