• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Anyone thinking about going electric ?

Mixed if I’m honest, at the moment, I like the interchangeable nature but you end up stuck to a brand.

I’m also eyeing up some of the older tools on eBay like the old qualcast mowers which were built to last as the quality is excellent and the carbon in manufacture is already spent/sunk.

Last edited:
I've mentioned before the biggest polluters.

Aircraft.

When will we see electric aircraft? You can't remove one engine and say everybody must do the same, without removing them all.

Money would be better spent on improving broadband, let people work from home, reduce travel and the reliance on oil burning vehicles.

That all being said, electric motorcycles seem like good fun.
It is happening.

https://www.airbus.com/innovation/zero-emission/electric-flight.html

There was talk of an electric powered plane been used on one of the Island hop routes to see how it works in real world.

I’m also eyeing up some of the older tools on eBay like the old qualcast mowers which were built to last as the quality is excellent and the carbon in manufacture is already spent/sunk.
No disagreement on that one, think it is more to do with modern things made to the absolute minimum specification they can get away with. Tesla is a good example of poor quality control when it comes to modern manufacturing processing.

Have read as many replies as possible since my contribution some pages back.

The idea that there will be the infrastructure to go all electric in 15-20 years time is for the birds. We will still be driving land rovers fuelled with petrol/diesel.

There is a lot of hyperbole on this topic in the media. It is similar to the hot air surrounding fully autonomous cars (without any human input) which many glossy press releases promised would have arrived by now.

People shouldn't get whipped up. I'm hoping by the time it becomes difficult/illegal to run a car with an internal combustion engine, the whiz kids at Formula One or the airlines will have developed suitable alternative fuels. Thats what I'm hoping anyway, but it will be two-three decades away yet.

I've mentioned before the biggest polluters.

Aircraft.

When will we see electric aircraft? You can't remove one engine and say everybody must do the same, without removing them all.

Money would be better spent on improving broadband, let people work from home, reduce travel and the reliance on oil burning vehicles.

That all being said, electric motorcycles seem like good fun.
You might think its pie in the sky but the space elevator concept I mentioned a while back would do away with powered aircraft.
They could be hoisted up to the high atmosphere and then merely glide to a destination.
Fantastical I know and a bit of a leap from EV and almost certainly not in my lifetime.

You might think its pie in the sky but the space elevator concept I mentioned a while back would do away with powered aircraft.
They could be hoisted up to the high atmosphere and then merely glide to a destination.
Fantastical I know and a bit of a leap from EV and almost certainly not in my lifetime.
Yes…..but is the elevator powered ev & batteries or fuel cell system 😂😂😂

Think the only problem is with current materials and the gravity on this planet the weight per square meter is too much. We need a whole suite of new materials and manufacturing processes for something like that.

Likely to be possible somewhere like Mars with current tech….just need to rebuild a manufacturing base there. That’s all!

No, it's happened to me 3 times recently while out walking the dog. Narrow country lane with little traffic, walking and talking to swmbo and suddenly realise there's a car behind us wanting to pass. Neither of us heard it come up the hill and sit behind waiting.

I've had it happen to me with a petrol peugot 206. I'm not denying the issue, I'm just saying it's not a valid reason in favour of IC engines

The law of conservation of energy applies here....can it be circumvented by using solar.??
Despite my flippancy (a natural defence mechanism) it's a serious question.
Can there be an energy source that is 100percent efficient looking at it in global or even cosmic terms?

Not so much about efficency, I just simply meant hydrogen is made (over 95% currently) via same million year old biomass out the north sea, like our petrol and diesel

I forgot to add….anyone wondered why Toyota hasn’t developed a pure EV……..the people who brought the Prius to market…. the biggest car manufacturer in the world…
I’ll let you guess why….
Has anyone guessed yet? 😁

The trillions they've invested in the development and support industries for manufacturing IC engines?

I expect Toyota will eventually delete the petrol powered electric generator and relplace it with hydrogen fuel cell electric generator

They’re going big on hydrogen. Someone (who shall remain nameless) told me the strategists at Toyota had developed an EV but recognised that everyone else would do the same therefore battery resources would become a potential issue and that they would be consistently battling other OEM’s. What they needed to do was disrupt the market the way they did with Prius, and indeed the way Tesla has done. So to get one step ahead they looked at what was beyond pure battery, what the drawbacks of pure battery were /are. They then started down the track of hydrogen fuel cells recognising initially tech would only work for trains, trucks, busses etc, gradually they worked on refining the tech, increasing speed of manufacturing, increasing capacity, reducing size.

Did you know:

first generation Mirae fuel cell took 15mins to manufacture?
latest mirae now takes 30seconds per fuel cell!

first generation Mirae range was about 250miles
Latest mirage is officially 400miles but with eco driving techniques they achieve over 600miles on a tank,
Supposedly they’re working on a 1000mile range version but that will be a few years away. But that will be a marketers dream at the right price point.

the tank size is also reduced increasing storage space.

mots not perfected yet, and the hydrogen internal combustion engine is another facet of the potential of hydrogen fuel cells.

I think Toyota have their strategy right, they are thinking longer term than most, the only risk to them is the refuelling network being in place. My personal view is this will happen as an industrial supply network will be set up for farmers, hauliers, rail, marine applications, not to mention the apparent switch to hydrogen for homes!

just some insight combined with a few opinions based on those interactions in industry.

Back
Top Bottom