• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Audi restoration...

mikeau

Staff member
I have an Audi 80 2.0L 16v Sport edition... Fkin loved that car, but its been laid up (outdoors on grass) for far too long.
Long story...

Im debating getting it restored. Its either do somethingt with it very soon or it will be too late (may be now :( )...
I know its not going to be financially viable, but Id really like to have it on the road and be able to drive it again... I could pass it on to one of the kids maybe... I dont know. They may have to drag me out of it and into the rest home eventually to stop me from being a geriatric hooligan...

Anyway, I couldnt find anyone locally to touch it, but Ive approached this lot and they are willing to take it on and appear to know what they are doing with VAG motors;

They make all the right noises so far but Im wondering if anyone knows them at all or has used them (or knows someone who has)..?

I have an Audi 80 2.0L 16v Sport edition... Fkin loved that car, but its been laid up (outdoors on grass) for far too long.
Long story...

Im debating getting it restored. Its either do somethingt with it very soon or it will be too late (may be now :( )...
I know its not going to be financially viable, but Id really like to have it on the road and be able to drive it again... I could pass it on to one of the kids maybe... I dont know. They may have to drag me out of it and into the rest home eventually to stop me from being a geriatric hooligan...

Anyway, I couldnt find anyone locally to touch it, but Ive approached this lot and they are willing to take it on and appear to know what they are doing with VAG motors;

They make all the right noises so far but Im wondering if anyone knows them at all or has used them (or knows someone who has)..?
I had an A80 2.6 (V6 if I remember right). Loved it too. Unfortunately some %$&* jumped a red light in front of me. This was when I learned about explosive seatbelt tensioners and crumple zones; it was amazing how my coffee was still sitting unspilled in its holder while the front of the car was a mangled mess. It was repaired good as new but the magic was gone, so I traded it in.

Slooooowww!

They guy got delayed starting due to some other jobs running over (I can sympathise with that!) and then had to have (what he described as) a minor operation, and is still in recovery.

He has been in touch though and he says he is actively searching out and ordering parts while recuperating.
He messaged me a couple of times to consult about which exhaust system to order in. He says he has ordered in a few bits from suppliers (who list them on their website) only to be told a couple of weeks later than they are no longer available, so its back to the drawing board.
Sounds familiar..? :rolleyes:

Absolutely worth the effort Mike. I am not anti technology, but I do think that post 2007 tech and comfort have taken over, hence why vehicles have become enormous. Cannot think why MPG figures aren't improving. Anyway, saw a Pug 205 coming down the road yesterday... How small is that in a queue of post 2010 cars? Titchy...

Since a few people expressed interest, I will post a bit of an update.

The guy restoring it had a few health issues so the start got further delayed again after the initial inspection, but he managed to do a lot of research and parts finding while he was unable to do the physical work.

Since this model was only produced for a short time, its been more difficult finding some parts, while others (like brake callipers, brake pipes etc) are common to other models and off the shelf.

He is looking at taking the springs off to send to someone to get remade, and having some shocks made by Spax, as the Sport package had lowered suspension with different rated springs and shocks. Shouldnt be too expensive, but will result in further delays...

He is investigating the state of the engine as the next step (see pics). Compression was OK except for No4 which was very low. :eek:

6FE46C4D-103A-4817-970D-7DDB3E9A355F_1_105_c.jpeg
F6A49CA6-8E2A-4C5A-B4E0-842C759B1CB9_1_105_c.jpeg
3F957F78-E6CD-4C4C-B053-6244FAD5CF1B_1_105_c.jpeg
A420A839-DA53-4423-AD1B-EABFEBE85013_1_105_c.jpeg

Head is now off and he thinks the rings on 4 may be stuck as no obvious problems with head gasket, valves, scoring etc.

50002E19-7558-432D-8888-1D3135DB8AB3.jpeg
732A9D3A-47C3-44DD-B9D5-EA1C19726EF7.jpeg

B9BDB50C-BCBD-4AA5-A62E-E2BD14FC356F.jpeg
8EDF1F13-B916-4BED-89BF-2F3BA5003859.jpeg
8BBAD1B2-73C8-45C7-8C6E-FFB152FF9922.jpeg

Ridges arent bad and could be dealt with by honing if we go the new rings route.

He will get the engine on a stand next and strip it to check state of the bores and check the bottom end and we will go from there, as pistons for this one have proved impossible to find (makes me realise how lucky we are with getting parts for our 40+ year old vehicles!).

We might get away with new rings (can get those!) and a hone. If not, its a rebore required and we keep searching for overbore pistons, or swap in a later engine (20valve 1.8 from the TT will fit apparently, but would require swapping the ECU and deleting the cat etc).
I would prefer to keep my engine, but have to take the sensible option.

9BDDFE64-0633-4977-BB66-1D2AA4ECF3EA_1_105_c.jpeg

E6E9B4C7-29CC-4800-855C-F986E60586DB_1_105_c.jpeg

He needs to get work done on some other vehicles while we search for parts/consider options.

I'll post another update when something interesting happens!

Attachments

• 8BBAD1B2-73C8-45C7-8C6E-FFB152FF9922.jpeg
    8BBAD1B2-73C8-45C7-8C6E-FFB152FF9922.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 20
A bit more progress this week.
Engine on the stand, stripped, cleaned and inspected ready to go to get the block skimmed and the bores honed.
60EE1F27-0343-4B51-A43D-5D0F27F5E6A9_1_105_c.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 14.10.43.jpeg

Bores were measured and look good with minimal wear, no ridges etc

B9DD3571-A54A-4BEA-9EAB-38153CD14797_1_105_c.jpeg
4BDC8E2C-A39E-484F-9811-48132488627A_1_105_c.jpeg
8946F1A1-6311-41F2-A411-B8F29FEE3492_1_105_c.jpeg

Pistons look OK, just need cleaning and new set of rings.

C765056E-314E-4F32-BB54-846FC25C5676_1_105_c.jpeg
494319E6-0133-4FAF-AC26-5A342C84DFD9_1_105_c.jpeg
7E0C6EDA-5F4B-4647-BEDF-40F95BFADE78_1_105_c.jpeg
A537BE19-1C0F-44C4-A239-E8C535EDB0DA_1_105_c.jpeg

Crank is good, just needs a polish.

PHOTO-2024-01-26-14-11-13.jpg

Low pressure on No4 looks like being caused by a leaky valve, so head needs crack testing, then he will rebuild with new guides/valves/springs etc (assuming its OK).

The springs need to come off and sent to be remade as replacements arent available. Not expensive but will take a few weeks to make.

In the meantime, hes trying to find if parts are still available to rebuild the gearbox, and will strip various parts off for cleaning and painting or powder coating...

Good progress even if it’s taken a while . Looks like you’re at the bottom of the progress curve and it should be all positive going forward.

Good news the engine is rebuild able as it’ll be nice to keep it original 👍

Yeah. We discussed options to replace it should it have been unsalvageable.
Some good ones, including the 1.8 TT engine which is apparently a fairly straight fit but would have entailed ECU swap and reprogramming etc. and probably have worked out a bit more expensive. Nice to stick original though.
That original 2.0 engine is adequate and any more power and I could get myself into trouble... :whistle:

any more power and I could get myself into trouble... :whistle:

Very wise words and thought process. I've reached a point with my Volvo that I'll either kill myself (or worse others) or loose my license. Neither are worth it even though the power and torque is very nice it's really not needed for anything other than flexing. I've lost all appreciation for what the car actually is. I ought to replace it with something considerably more practical and logical like another land rover :D

Loving how thorough the inspection has been before any commitment to this or that. Always nice to have backup engine ideas too. The pot with low compression I'm assuming is at the end with very clean valves etc? Is it head warped / gasket or dreaded head or block crack allowing coolant from the galleries to pass in.

I have to concur, when I had my 3.6ltr 250bhp flat 6, I was always going faster than I should have. I stick to the limit nowadays and feel pretty bad that I was ever that daft.

Glad to see the Audi is progressing. Makes me a little bit nostalgic for my old A80 2.6 V6. Must see if I can find a photo of it somewhere.

Very wise words and thought process. I've reached a point with my Volvo that I'll either kill myself (or worse others) or loose my license. Neither are worth it even though the power and torque is very nice it's really not needed for anything other than flexing. I've lost all appreciation for what the car actually is. I ought to replace it with something considerably more practical and logical like another land rover :D

Loving how thorough the inspection has been before any commitment to this or that. Always nice to have backup engine ideas too. The pot with low compression I'm assuming is at the end with very clean valves etc? Is it head warped / gasket or dreaded head or block crack allowing coolant from the galleries to pass in.

Im really pleased with his work. He is very thorough but without wasting time, and keeps me informed every on all progress with plenty photos, I only post a selection of what he sends me.

Unsure on the cause of the low pressure on 4.
No obvious cracks etc, but after cleaning he put some brake cleaner in the combustion chambers and number 4 leaked away quite fast.
He sent me a video but dont know if I cant re-post it here...

Its going to be stripped, cleaned, crack tested and then skimmed if its OK, then rebuilt with new valve gear. Engine will be like new when its done!

Looks like valve not seating tight and allowing leakage. I'd guess there was a small puddle of brake cleaner under the valve stem. A quick valve grind should cure that.
It probably would, but this guy wants to do it properly (and who am I to argue)... so the head (and the rest of the engine) will be stripped and rebuilt using new parts where they are available and not stupidly priced.

I know its going to cost, but you cant take it with you can you.
He is actually very reasonable and not taking the p1ss at all, just doing a bang-on job and charging fairly.

Back
Top Bottom