• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How Do I? battery duff?

landydoctor

Trekker
right I've got a couple of mini's one of them is road going:D but it's battery is getting me puzzled.....

I charged it for 24 hours and tested it. Initially it was giving out 13.5volts (it was still fizzing at the time so you can hold off on your what'ya doing post...:D

but since then it has been dropping in the two hours it's been off, the Voltage has dropped from 13.5 to 12.61 volts....it's fall has sloowed right down, do you think this is just getting rid of excess charge or is it bu&&ered?? :eek:

dave

right I've got a couple of mini's one of them is road going:D but it's battery is getting me puzzled.....

I charged it for 24 hours and tested it. Initially it was giving out 13.5volts (it was still fizzing at the time so you can hold off on your what'ya doing post...:D

but since then it has been dropping in the two hours it's been off, the Voltage has dropped from 13.5 to 12.61 volts....it's fall has sloowed right down, do you think this is just getting rid of excess charge or is it bu&&ered?? :eek:

dave

hold the + terminal with a wet hand and lick the - terminal. :)

Even if it holds 12 volts it may not have enough ooomph (amps) to start the motor. Had the same problem few months ago with my batteries.. were both showing a healthy 12.? v but if you drop tested them they were dead!

sorry for being Fick but what's drop testing?? I imagine it's got something to do with how it reacts to being drained, hows it done??:eek:

:D after doing a lick the voltage test its usually a good idea to do a drop test just to be sure.
what you do is , you lift the battery up high above your head , then let it go. if it drops on your head and really hurts , its a battery , if it drops on your head and doesnt hurt , then its a loaf of bread.

A drop tester is a piece of kit you connect to the battery which simulates starting drain. Will show good/weak/bad.. Most garages will be able toi do this for you i suspect for a few quid!

cheers for that satancom.....and cheers nobber, it's a battery afterall....I did'nt want to hurt my head so I used the cat's instead:)

I tested it this morning and it's still at 12.6volts so it's holding a charge....the battery that is not the cat, the cat's crap at starting the car....just meyow's in the boot (it's a mini)

:D

quick test for a battery fitted to a car is connect volt meter across the battery. Check you have over 12.2v's and voltage stable. Disable engine (coil l/t off or diesel pump connection off tin foil over key if chipped etc) crank engine and watch voltage will drop to about 11v's keep on cranking for 15 seconds(all done in one hit) battery should'nt drop below 9v's or lose more than .3v over cranking period! You will hear if the battery is good or bad as the engine note will suddenly slow down! If passes this test will be fine.
Tony

Back
Top Bottom