• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Big nut keeps coming loose.

nomoreleafs

Offroader
The big nut under the steering box keeps coming loose,not loose loose like it will fall off, just loose enough that I can feel it through the steering.
The tab washer is really awkward to knock over,does the washer have to be fully knocked over all the way round for it to stop coming loose?At the latest attempt I could only get about half of it over.

It's because the drop arm isn't tight enough on the taper, just a slight bit of movement is amplified in the ball joint. Don't torque it up, just belt it with a hammer and keep tightening the nut. Once the arm is tight on the taper, the nut won't move again.

Chris

I was a bit dubious about how tight to do it.I will show it who's boss next time.
Is it worth getting a new arm just in case it is worn.

A lump hammer is the smallest hammer a landy owner should own!

No it's not, a little tapping stick is required to climb under cars that fellows have just fitted engines to. So when they start them up you tap the chassis and they go all white and poo themselves....hehe....had that done to me (while working with someone) we had just fitted a 5.7 litre Chevvy engine to an overfinch Classic that had cooked itself and we couldn't get it to run right!!

Back
Top Bottom