• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Big puffs and a lot of smoke

This is probably just for confirmation of my prognosis.
Vauxhall Zafira 1600 Petrol circa 2010. Just driven down to Bristol and back and on 6 occassions had loss of power when putting my foot to the floor to overtake and a seriously big puff of white smoke out the exhaust which was dense enough to obscure all the cars behind me.
In that I had a section of my exhaust replaced last week and becauset they could not remove the Lambda sensor from the old exhaust, replaced it (an annoying additional cost). Isuspect thats the problem and a quick google seems to confirm.
Never seen a sensor before let alone knew what they did. Is it most likely that they have fitted the wrong sensor or just forgotten to connect it up correctly?
Thanks

Any engine warning lights or codes which you should see if its faulty or disconnected?
Have you contacted them about it?
I think you need to give them the option to investigate and put it right.
Worth checking (and clearing?) codes first to see if some other fault is indicated?

Well, Vauxhall and Zafira are foreign words to me(!) so all I can give is general advice.
Symptoms I googled for faulty sensor included high fuel consumption and excessive smoke so sounds like it could be...

If it isn't faulty, they probably didn't code the new lambda sensor to the ECU. Even when they do, it will take the car a while to relearn the driving styles, so probably use a bit more fuel for a while.

Ah yeah. Thats true enough. I replaced the O2 sensor in the Rav4 a while ago and it took a week or two to settle down fully.
It shouldnt make too much smoke while 'learning' though...

Apologies for wasting your time, but thanks as always for input. This is a mea culpa moment 🤭 Moving a friends very large painting to framers today. Flat battery on T25 (had left radio in standby mode). So went to jump start from Zafira. Lifted bonnet to be greeted by a mess of oil…… yes schoolboy error, amateur mechanic stupidly and 71 year old brain farc. I’d left the oil cap off when checking oil early Saturday morning before setting off for Bristol. Round trip of over 230 miles. Interestingly no warning lights came on. No oil in engine but may have got away with it. I’m probably scrapping it this year so just brings the day forward.
Now have to work out why there’s a red flashing light on T25.
Sorry guys

Apologies for wasting your time, but thanks as always for input. This is a mea culpa moment 🤭 Moving a friends very large painting to framers today. Flat battery on T25 (had left radio in standby mode). So went to jump start from Zafira. Lifted bonnet to be greeted by a mess of oil…… yes schoolboy error, amateur mechanic stupidly and 71 year old brain farc. I’d left the oil cap off when checking oil early Saturday morning before setting off for Bristol. Round trip of over 230 miles. Interestingly no warning lights came on. No oil in engine but may have got away with it. I’m probably scrapping it this year so just brings the day forward.
Now have to work out why there’s a red flashing light on T25.
Sorry guys
Ach, easy done. Who needs the 710 cap anyway?

T25...coolant level probably. The T4 does it too. Unless it's one of the air cooled ones, obviously...I don't remember which you have.

Later models it's a way of telling you that there's a brake light out, not that they tell you that in that manual, but I think your T25 is a bit too old for that nonsense.

Water cooled. Am going to investigate tomorrow but lots of threads on coolant light and reasons. Crudded up sender, airlock. Etc. The Joy's of owning old motors.

Back
Top Bottom