• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Cab/dash upgrades

pjh1968

In Fourth Gear
Hi guys,

Can I see your cab/dash upgrades for TD5 Defenders please trying to get some inspiration.
What media players have you installed?
What have done on the passenger side oc the dash it just seems a waisted space.

Thanks

None of mine are fitted yet - it's stripped back to the bulkhead being insulated. But the whole cab is being upgraded. Some of these photo's have been on other threads but this is what I'm doing.
1. The centre console has been replaced with a MUD console - not the TD5 version. I'll have to modify the brackets to make it fit. The reason I've done this is so that I could fit a standard set of switchgear rather than the different shaped switches you get with the TD5 console. Double Din Alpine HeadUnit going in the centre. 12V and double USB sockets. Light padding, leather and stitching to match the new front seats.
2 3.jpeg

2. Drivers Console - leather and stitching to match. I replaced the clock with a rev counter. It has a different bezel. This has been replaced this week with a OEM rev counter with the same bezel (twice the price :(). The gauge bezels will be covered by billet aluminium covers - satin grey to match other billet fittings in the cab. See below.
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 07.55.37.png

3. The 'A' pillar covers, upper and lower dash, grab handle, fuse box cover and door cards are all now padded, leather and stitching to match the new seats. eg
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 20.54.57.png

4. I've customised a cubby box and had it upholstered to match. Driver and passenger window and seat heater controls and a double USB socket are also fitted here. There are a couple of other modifications but these are the visual ones.
15.jpg

5. These are the Exmoor Trim seats I've bought - arrived last week. Matching gear and handbrake gaiters on the way.
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 08.11.00.png

6. All door furniture, fuse cover knobs, gear knobs, stalk ends and vent knobs are all dark satin grey billet aluminium to give a contrast to the black leather and a close match to charcoal lining fabric used on the headlining and any other surfaces which are not carpet or leather. eg
IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg
IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_4279.jpeg
IMG_4280.jpeg

7. New fibreglass charcoal lined headlining.
8. MUD high level parcel shelf and console housing a CB unit and new LED white/red light. Note - sun visors re-covered to match the parcel shelf colour and blend in.
9. Map light on flexible stalk with white/red light.
9. Exmoor Trim premium carpet and rubber over mats with raised edges.
10. Seat box protectors and aluminium kick plates.
11. 15% tinted door windows and 5% tinted heated windscreen (rear cab has 70% tinted glass).
12. High level unit (not finished) behind the seats containing speaker boxes, lockers (rear facing), some electric switches and sunglasses cases. eg
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 21.51.35.png

13. Bulkhead removal and clad (not finished) to provide a clean finish, a couple of storage recesses for things such as first aid kit, vertical space for the sub-woofer and a small storage bin. Items such as Life Hammer will also be fitted here. eg
IMG_4512.jpeg

14. A seven speaker HiFi system. Two tweeters, two speakers under the dash in the usual place, two high level speakers behind the front seats and a sub-woofer. The Double Din Head Unit mentioned earlier and a DAP Unit make up the system.
15. Before any of this - a lot of sealing and insulation for noise and warmth.

There are other non-visual mods but these are the major items. Hope it sparks some ideas of your own. Good luck.

None of mine are fitted yet - it's stripped back to the bulkhead being insulated. But the whole cab is being upgraded. Some of these photo's have been on other threads but this is what I'm doing.
1. The centre console has been replaced with a MUD console - not the TD5 version. I'll have to modify the brackets to make it fit. The reason I've done this is so that I could fit a standard set of switchgear rather than the different shaped switches you get with the TD5 console. Double Din Alpine HeadUnit going in the centre. 12V and double USB sockets. Light padding, leather and stitching to match the new front seats.
View attachment 528255
2. Drivers Console - leather and stitching to match. I replaced the clock with a rev counter. It has a different bezel. This has been replaced this week with a OEM rev counter with the same bezel (twice the price :(). The gauge bezels will be covered by billet aluminium covers - satin grey to match other billet fittings in the cab. See below.
View attachment 528256
3. The 'A' pillar covers, upper and lower dash, grab handle, fuse box cover and door cards are all now padded, leather and stitching to match the new seats. eg
View attachment 528258
4. I've customised a cubby box and had it upholstered to match. Driver and passenger window and seat heater controls and a double USB socket are also fitted here. There are a couple of other modifications but these are the visual ones.
View attachment 528259
5. These are the Exmoor Trim seats I've bought - arrived last week. Matching gear and handbrake gaiters on the way.
View attachment 528260
6. All door furniture, fuse cover knobs, gear knobs, stalk ends and vent knobs are all dark satin grey billet aluminium to give a contrast to the black leather and a close match to charcoal lining fabric used on the headlining and any other surfaces which are not carpet or leather. eg
View attachment 528261View attachment 528262View attachment 528263
View attachment 528264View attachment 528266View attachment 528265

7. New fibreglass charcoal lined headlining.
8. MUD high level parcel shelf and console housing a CB unit and new LED white/red light. Note - sun visors re-covered to match the parcel shelf colour and blend in.
9. Map light on flexible stalk with white/red light.
9. Exmoor Trim premium carpet and rubber over mats with raised edges.
10. Seat box protectors and aluminium kick plates.
11. 15% tinted door windows and 5% tinted heated windscreen (rear cab has 70% tinted glass).
12. High level unit (not finished) behind the seats containing speaker boxes, lockers (rear facing), some electric switches and sunglasses cases. eg
View attachment 528267
13. Bulkhead removal and clad (not finished) to provide a clean finish, a couple of storage recesses for things such as first aid kit, vertical space for the sub-woofer and a small storage bin. Items such as Life Hammer will also be fitted here. eg
View attachment 528268
14. A seven speaker HiFi system. Two tweeters, two speakers under the dash in the usual place, two high level speakers behind the front seats and a sub-woofer. The Double Din Head Unit mentioned earlier and a DAP Unit make up the system.
15. Before any of this - a lot of sealing and insulation for noise and warmth.

There are other non-visual mods but these are the major items. Hope it sparks some ideas of your own. Good luck.
Wow!!

It's going to look amazing!

If you don't mind me asking what's the cost for the seats, dashboard changes, double din player and cubby?

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking what's the cost for the seats, dashboard changes, double din player and cubby?
There's a question.
1. As far as I can remember the leatherwork cost me about £900. That's the 'A' pillar covers, the entire dash - top, front, lower parts, fuse box cover, each end including the passenger grab handle, both door cards, the centre console, the drivers console and the cubby. There's some quite complicated shapes involved in the leatherwork, including both white and diamond stitching.
2. The cubby box - mine had been messed about with so much I bought a cheap new one. I made the changes - fitted a vertical wall to turn the inside into a cube and make a triangular void in front of the new wall for the switchgear to recess into and hide wiring, a bottom cable hole into this void to get cables to the switches, a MUD4x4 tray to fit into the top. Still got to fit the hinges and stay. The inside is suede lined with a non-slip rubber floor and the outside is a close match for my seats. Here is a link to the work
3. The seats came as part of a package from Exmoor Trim. I bought the seats, premium carpet and upgraded leather gaiters with white stitching to match. Prices are on their website - I got a bit of a discount for a large order - depends what you buy. Personally I went to their showroom and tried every seat they offer. For me the one shown above came out on top. It has seat heaters and lumbar support. The base is longer which provides more upper leg support (really noticed the difference in back to back trials). The headrest is adjustable. It has good lateral support, without having to climb over the rock hard seat bolsters you often find on sports seats. Comes in a choice of finishes.
4. The Double DIN Head Unit is a matter of personal choice - what make? what specification? what will fit (not all will)? Huge variation in prices depending on what you are after.
5. I also replaced the analogue clock with a Rev Counter. All stalks have been replaced as they were getting a bit slack and the indicators would not cancel. I've also changed the ignition module so the ignition and door locks are now all 'keyed the same'.
6. I can't remember the price paid for the billet fittings but not cheap - in the hundreds. It would depend on what you bought, whether you go for standard or bespoke anodising colours. I used Optimal for all external billet fittings and Croytec for all internal billet fittings. Croytec will customise and John was very helpful.
7. Other changes will be a Moto-Lite steering wheel, Optimal Quick Release Boss, Optimal Swivel Lock and Optimal Lock Dock, Clutch Pedal Lock. These are the visible security deterrents (plus deadlocks to be fitted). There are other security features I'm not going into on-line.
8. I've used Carling Switches and Blue Sea sockets.
9. While the dash is dismantled I've de-rusted, refurbished and painted all the 'internal' parts.
Prices for this lot is simply a matter of shopping around for the best prices and haggling for discounts. I don't want to think how much this little lot adds up to - not cheap though.

Forgot a couple of things:
The high level parcel shelf and console came from MUD4x4. Price is whatever it is now, less any discount you can haggle.
Ditto the new MUD LED interior light.
I'm putting in a CB unit into the high level console - lots of choices and prices.
The headlining and recovered sun visors came from LaSalle at £395+postage. Looks to be good quality although won't be fitted just yet. Got electrics to run before this can go in.

Back
Top Bottom