• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
Clam shell puller

Review Clam shell puller

andy63 submitted a new resource:

Cam shell puller - Bearing puller

Not so much a review as I haven't used it, but at the price they are available at atm,( around £80) if you do or plan to do any say differential work I think they appear to be good value compared to what you would normally pay for this type tool..
I decided to get one after seeing a few you tube vids give it the thumbs up..
View attachment 518825

Read more about this resource...

I have just used one on my Salisbury rear axle. It effortlessly removed the bearing from the pinion. Then I did the two differential carrier bearings. These have shims behind them that are hardly visible. It removed the bearings without nipping the shims.

Nothing can get under the inner race and it seems to work by pulling on the cage but holds it all tightly together with the clam shells. So there's no distortion and the bearing lifts off. I tried to use my £18 Makita copy impact driver to spin the threaded rod that pulls the clamp part up. Ended-up using an air impact to do this. You only need to hold the rest with your other hand. No vice needed.

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2788.jpeg

I have just used one on my Salisbury rear axle. It effortlessly removed the bearing from the pinion. Then I did the two differential carrier bearings. These have shims behind them that are hardly visible. It removed the bearings without nipping the shims.

Nothing can get under the inner race and it seems to work by pulling on the cage but holds it all tightly together with the clam shells. So there's no distortion and the bearing lifts off. I tried to use my £18 Makita copy impact driver to spin the threaded rod that pulls the clamp part up. Ended-up using an air impact to do this. You only need to hold the rest with your other hand. No vice needed.

View attachment 525169

View attachment 525168
Great info.. Not used mine yet..

Back
Top Bottom