• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Cliff - 1981 Series 3 109 V8 Stage 1

Cliff4WD

Staff member
This will be my restoration thread. I'll try and keep it updated as things progress.

I'm really looking forward to getting her sorted and back on the road. I don't know the history, but it was rebuilt in the 90's as the engine in now is an RPI rebuilt 3.5 pulsair (11D) as fitted to the Range Rover Classic. RPI confirmed they rebuilt this in 1996 with standard cam. The pulsair system was removed so none of that nonesense to deal with. It sounds nice and smooth when running so I don't think it did many miles after the rebuild (there's only 12450 on the clock?). It needs tuning though. I might go for a webber 500 carb upgrade if I can find the money. The other main issue is the gearbox. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not until I can actually drive it. All I can hear now is a clutch release bearing/spigot bush noise, so I'm hoping the PO had just panicked unnecessarily about the gearbox. Anyway, I have the spare LT95. This has an overdrive already fitted and I believe, the higher ratio gearing. I'll have to have the box inspected by somebody more expert than me lol.

image.jpg

I intend to make as full a restoration of my Stage 1 as I can, although money will be a restricting factor. The engine runs well, it already has a galvanised chassis, but it is in need of some bulkhead restoration - there are a couple of holes in the footwells and some surface rust up near the windscreen supports and vents that needs investigating further. I imagine that I'll be stripping it down to the chassis and removing the bulkhead to do the repairs (or replace it if I have to), and most likely be restoring/replacing suspension, drive, etc. I have a replacement LT95 gearbox that the PO bought in case the existing one was no good, he said it was noisy.

Took delivery of garage tent, so managed to put it up and get the vehicle under cover. I got the 20x12 foot garage so should be ample space to work. It's freezing here at the moment so not sure how much spannering I'll be doing, but hopefully can make a start now I have shelter.

20190121-161345.jpg

I guess I need to sort out some lighting too

20190121-161554.jpg

You made a good start getting cover to work under. I thought about something similar myself, but the wind we get here, I'd be hang-gliding to Orkney.....

Theres a guy on Faecesbook that makes good repair sections for bulkheads (cant recall his name, I don't use FB, but somebidy else will remember) and of course there is YRM metal solutions whodo some quality parts.

Ahh another Stage 1 owner.. albeit slightly less 'modified' than mine!

Also maybe slightly more driveable than mine at present :fedup:

But I'm working on it (not literally at the moment, I'm at work, but thinking and planning can still take place! :D )

Welcome to the delight that is owning one of the hardest Series Land Rovers to find bits for...

I rang Craddocks yesterday and asked about a part for a Stage 1.. the chap didn't even know what I was talking about.. :eek:

I'm documenting my restoration progress on the dedicated Stage 1 V8 forum but am duplicating it here for the wider Series audience interest (and I need all the help I can get)

Took the first step and started the strip down. I want to remove and sort out the bulkhead first, so LH door off, then the vents. Not a great deal done yet but it's a start.
I've ordered some lighting for the workspace as it's a bit dim in there at the moment.

20190126-120637.jpg

The rot at the top corners is typical but should be easy enough to repair.

20190126-120648.jpg

20190126-120724.jpg

There's also work to do at the base of the pillar

20190126-120658.jpg

There are two areas of the LH footwell that have gone through. I'll either patch or replace the footwells completely.

Small hole to air your feet
20190126-120741.jpg

The worst of the rot is at the top at the seam (like they all suffer). I'll remove the dash corner cover and have a closer look inside.

20190126-120810.jpg

Hmmm, not much more to see
20190126-121412.jpg

The cover is a bit of a mess though, I'll be needing/making a new one of them.

20190126-121508.jpg

20190126-121516.jpg

Fortunately, there is no rot around the vents. For some reason, I thought there was going to be work to do on these as some rust flakes came off when I first inspected the vehicle; not the vents though apparantly. A bit puzzled but actually relieved.

20190126-120840.jpg

So carried on in the fading light and took the other vent and bonnet off, but that's it for now.

20190126-132641.jpg

20190126-145411.jpg

20190126-145436.jpg

It is obvious that she had a replacement bulkhead when the chassis was replaced; It's a different colour under the now flaking paint (poor paint job). Shame it wasn't a galvanised one like the chassis, would have saved me a lot of work. However, it does look like the rot has not gotten too bad yet, so fingers crossed, I should be able to repair it relatively easily.

Good progress so far :)

Might be as well to get replacement door pillars and feet. Mine had holes like yours at the bottom, and once the wing was stripped off and the footwell cut out I found there wasn't a lot of the pillar left on the inside. Cut out and welded whilst all in bits....

In between heavy winds, snow, and torrential rain, I still managed to fit the work tent with some work lighting.

20190130-154424.jpg

20190201-140034.jpg

Nice to be able to see what I'm doing.

Pushed on and removed the windscreen

20190201-152450.jpg

and started dismantling the dash

20190201-161652.jpg

More good news as there was no rot on top of bulkhead under the screen. The brown stuff in the photo is old glue residue that had been used to stick the rubber seals in place. Also, there is red paint showing through were the bulkhead had been sprayed over without proper prep and priming.

20190201-152514.jpg

Had to knock it on the head for today as my feet are freezing! Pretty happy so far as apart from the welding to the footwells and a bit on the top LH corner of the bulkhead, it's rock solid, so mainly cosmetic. Obviously there's loads to do yet and the mechanicals are less likely to be so straight forward, but encouraging so far.

BTW, does anyone recognise if this bulkhead looks like a Stage 1 version or a 110 or something?

Managed a few hours today so cracked on and removed the dash assembly.

20190205-163800.jpg

The heater duct/lower crash pad was in the same state RH end as was the washer pump cover.

20190205_163821.jpg

20190205_163831.jpg

Not sure I'm going through finding a replacement anytime soon; I'll probably have to try and fabricate my own.

The front plate crash pad was only slighty corroded.

20190205_170243.jpg

20190205_170256.jpg

So, progress slow but steady.

20190205_170746.jpg

Interesting find was the original key no. label still attched to the instrument cover

20190205-170434.jpg

Ahh another Stage 1 owner.. albeit slightly less 'modified' than mine!
I rang Craddocks yesterday and asked about a part for a Stage 1.. the chap didn't even know what I was talking about.. :eek:

That doesn't surprise me. I find the people at Craddocks very badly infomed when it comes to pre-Defender knowledge, and very difficult to get a straight answer from. A bit like dealing with your local Council !!šŸ˜Ŗ

Back
Top Bottom