• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Cooling fan removal - What is the special spanner needed?

Wild Rover

Overdrive!
Hi there I was just reading through the Haynes manual prior to tackling a radiator replacement on a 200 Tdi and noticed the mention of a special spanner for unscrewing the viscous coupling. there is a picture but it does not show the spanner. Does anybody know what is so special about it. It just looks like a thin spanner to me. Can anybody tell me what to use to slacken this coupling.

Thanks

Tis very thin. I need one too actaully, where's the best place to fit one? Need to get round to fitting my kenlowe fan.

it is only a thin spanner, cranked at both ends (the one i got)

you can get them from a good moter factors / tools place (halfrauds for one) not to expensive cant remember the exact sizes now on each end,

Cheers guys will get down to Half*~<s before I drain the coolant then. Oh yes and will double check size for spanner 34 or 36.

Cheers and wish me luck. Doh, 32 or 36 sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
there was a thread about this a few weeks ago

picture as well. almost certain a 32mm, halfords do one about £5 funny shape thing

cut a 32mm wide "n" shape out of thick card/plastic and check

Left hand thread normally requires a tap with a mallet

Cheers, just checked it with a tape and I'm sure its 32mm. My local Halfrauds have never heard of a viscous coupling wrench but I found this on the net if anyone needs one. www.difflock.com/ has a range of Land Rover Special Tools. £5.10 for the wrench. I will try around here though as I only have 3 days to replace my radiator and difflock do not do overnight special delivery. Don't trust first class post any more since the royal mail told me that first class delivery is from 3 to 10 days before it is considered late.

Its 36mm on a 300Tdi and 32mm on a 2.5TD, not sure about the others. The spanner I bought was made by Laser Tools, cheap and cheerful at £5 but it is invaluable. It has a 32mm one end and 36mm at the other, specialy bent to get at the viscous coupling. It is a left hand thread, a light tap with a hammer will loosen it and then you should just be able to spin the fan and it will undo itself.

Bernie

Ditto Bernig I have a laser tools one. got it for about 8 quid at my local parts place.
Maybe asking for a Viscose fan spanner might help. ;)

My local does post so if you can't find it then you could order one off them.

99% certain its a 32mm on a 200Tdi.

If you have an angle grinder and a bit of 2mm or 3mm plate, make yourself one.

You only need about an inch crank on the shaft.

Dont forget its a left hand thread and try to find a willing slave to hold the belt tight (to get tension on the pulley). Leaving you free to hit the spanner with a hammer to shock it loose!

You may also need to keep reminding yourself to count to ten and take deep breaths!

Cheers, just checked it with a tape and I'm sure its 32mm. My local Halfrauds have never heard of a viscous coupling wrench but I found this on the net if anyone needs one. www.difflock.com/ has a range of Land Rover Special Tools. £5.10 for the wrench. I will try around here though as I only have 3 days to replace my radiator and difflock do not do overnight special delivery. Don't trust first class post any more since the royal mail told me that first class delivery is from 3 to 10 days before it is considered late.

can't realy belive that, i got mine from there and was a laser one,

then saying that the 2 stores locally here, are completeley different, one is larger and carries a completely different range of stuff, (more styling in the one) but got mine from the smaller one.

Yes tried another Halfords and they had loads so rushed over and got one (9.99). All done now although didn't need it to undo the coupling as it came off as I span the fan clockwise.It was just resting on the thread which was a bit scary, so two taps with the hammer when it went back on. Oh yes and it is 32mm.

Back
Top Bottom