• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

crankshaft Rear oil seal

cptcaveman

Overdrive!
Hello all,
My mates ex mil 90 fitted with 2.5 na has a nasty oil leak at the crankshaft rear oil seal.
Now we plan to change it when the weather picks up a bit, the question is what is the best way to do the job either remove the engine or remove the gearbox?
We have an engine hoist at our disposal, but we are looking for the quickest easiest option.
I have read somewhere that you need a transmission jack is that the case or will
a engine hoist be ok (with the seat box removed of course!!)
Many thanks for the forth coming advise cpt...............

If I was doing it I would take the engine out, as I reckon there is less faffing about with propshafts, gear levers etc etc.

If you are removing the engine, the gearbox will stay quite happily on its 2 x rear mounts, and a couple of bits of strong timber, between the bottom of the gearbox, and the handily placed gearbox cross member.

HTH, Sandy M.

Back
Top Bottom