• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

D2 Side steps fitting progress (STC50032)

OliF

Overdrive!
I'm still working with a recovering (but still ******ed) broken left arm, so progress is slower than I'd like. :)

Physio is good so far, but I only have about 20% of my range of wrist motion and about 1/8th of my grip strength in it. Holding spanners and wrenches tight is hard work!

3 hours of work today and I have the side step brackets fitted to the chassis. I'm currently mounting STC50032 to mine which matches the chrome a-bar I've now got fitted. I grabbed a bolt kit from BritCar (STC50225) as I was missing some bolts from my eBay bargain.

IMG-20110712-00125.jpgIMG-20110712-00123.jpgIMG-20110712-00126.jpgIMG-20110712-00124.jpgIMG-20110712-00121.jpg

Now in reference to the instructions, maybe someone knows the answer. In the parts (image below of the kit) there are some new brackets that bolt the sill to the body shell. For some reason the LR install diagram (as per RAVE) tells you to remove these plates and replace them with identical ones and include a small metal plate over the refit. In the piccy below I'm referring to the angled plates under the huge bolts and the pair top right that are blck and rectangular between the mud flap plates.

STC50225.JPG

Now given the side steps are mounted to the chassis/body mount, what purpose doe this serve? Anyone have a clue? I'm stumped as all load from the steps and weight on them seems to go into the chassis and support arms.
pencil.png

Side steps now on.

If anyone else looks to do this themselves, I'd advise soaking all the nuts and screws that will need to be removed the night before with copious amounts of wd40.

When it comes to removing the old mudflaps, save yourself the time and effort and just unscrew the sides and cut the rubbers off underneath with a stanley knife. The LR fitting guide shows three bolts there. On mine they are riveted on both sides of the car. I couldn't be bothered to remove the rivets and sadly decided to sacrifice the original front flaps.

IMG-20110714-00133.jpgIMG-20110714-00128.jpg

I'm quite happy with the steps. I really wasn't after any but "short stuff" needed to be able to climb in the passenger seat easily.

I've now given the Disco a bath and discovered a few paint areas I need to touch up before the winter.

Next job.. auxiliary spot lamps.

Back
Top Bottom