• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Discovery 1 Instrument panel into Defender 300tdi is it possible?

tomreade

Accelerating Away
Hi
After days of me trying to fit a Discovery 1 300tdi instruments into my Defender 300tdi I've only got afew lights to work.
Has anyone tried this before?
Or in fact is is even possible? :confused:
ive seen photos of a Arabian defender which had the whole Discover Dash fitted with the instuments etc.

If this is indeed not possible has anyone got a Electronic speedo and a Temp guage for sale?
ANY help or hints would be great
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note about the temperature gauge and sensor, the defender sensor is a different resistance to a discovery one, so if you are fitting a discovery temperature gauge, make sure you fit the correct sensor (green disco, black defender).

I found this out when we fitted a disco 300 tdi engine into my defender and nearly had a heart attack as the temperature gauge swung into the red on my first test run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It had the green sensor in it, i replaced it with a new black one and everything works fine. :)

anything is possible, it just depends on which bits of the disco dash you want to fit, whether its the whole thing or if its just the clocks into the defender housing?

why do you want a disco instrument panel any way? why not fit a mud or raptor dash in the middle?

Its just the instument pannel Speedo Tacho etc into the Defender Binnicle.

Im only doing this as at the time it made sence as a new set of Defender Dials would set me back a fair bit!

Yes, it should be quite possible - and I seem to recall seeing an article in one of the mags some years ago showing the results on one such transplant.

What you will ned to do is look at the Disco wiring diagram and loom to see which signal is on which pin of the connector. Then do the same for the Defender. As I can't remember what the connector(s) is/are like on the Disco, I assume they are different. Or I have very vague recollections that the connectors are the same, but the pinout different.
Either way, both are "very basic" electrically, so it's only a matter of getting the right wire in the right hole.

I don't recall the Disco having an electronic speedo - but perhaps they changed it after mine was built (early 2 door V8). If you have an electronic speedo then you'll need the transducer (I assume the same as used on the V8 for the ECU), if not then you'll need the Disco speedo cable (I do know that the speedo heads have different fittings).

Great help guys!
If only I could find that Magazine article!
Its an electronic speedo and i have the transducer :)
Has anyone got a Discovery 1 300tdi colored wiring diagram?
Tom

Just a note about the temperature gauge and sensor, the defender sensor is a different resistance to a discovery one, so if you are fitting a discovery temperature gauge, make sure you fit the correct sensor (green disco, black defender).

I found this out when we fitted a disco 300 tdi engine into my defender and nearly had a heart attack as the temperature gauge swung into the red on my first test run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It had the green sensor in it, i replaced it with a new black one and everything works fine. :)
Can you remember the part number for the sensor Paul ?

Back
Top Bottom