• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

driving with broken half shaft

redhand

Big Landy Fan
Looking at a 110CSW on Ebay with a broken front half shaft if I disconnect the front prop will it be okay to drive it in 2 wheel rear wheel drive. Need to get it from hereford to Hull assuming I bid for it and win it of course.

What's involved in changing half shaft could I take one with me and do it there How long does it usually take.

Yes you can, but I'd take the halfshaft out before driving. If it's the halfshaft it's likely to have broken at the diff end and you'll need to get the short stub section out. See if you can borrow an X-Eng magnet on a stick or buy one for about 20 quid as it makes the job a lot easier.

Better to buy a new shaft and replace there and then if you can. If it's the rear, it's about a 20min job, if front it's about 45min. Either way get gaskets etc and oil too.

Cheers

Steve

Looking at a 110CSW on Ebay with a broken front half shaft if I disconnect the front prop will it be okay to drive it in 2 wheel rear wheel drive. Need to get it from hereford to Hull assuming I bid for it and win it of course.

What's involved in changing half shaft could I take one with me and do it there How long does it usually take.

Changing a broken half shaft can be a pig of a job especially on the front, not least of which because you need to take the diff out to recover the broken bit from there.
Unless it is the CV joint that has died rather than the halfshaft, again not the easiest of jobs to do. No not really difficult, just a bit long winded, lots of stuff to take off and put back on. Plus all the shrapnel to wash out of wherever it has come to rest.
I am not trying to put you off, just pointing out that it is probably not the sort of job that you want to start doing on a truck you haven't seen before. If only because of the possible variants in half shafts and CV joints. I suppose it depends on how much time you have available to make the repair/collection.

As for driving it home with a broken shaft in there, hmmm I know we used to drive loads of miles in series trucks in the army with broken halfshafts in the back axles, but I don't recall ever breaking one in the front axle. Don't forget all the time you are driving the 2 broken ends will be grinding against each other.
It can be done, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, you would also have to engage the difflock and i am sure there is a speed restriction somewhere in this caper as well, written on a warning plate that is fitted to the fuse box cover. The speed in question is 3MPH or 5 KPH but I cannot remember the precise circumstances under which it applies. So Hereford to Hull could take a while.

Changing a broken half shaft can be a pig of a job especially on the front, not least of which because you need to take the diff out to recover the broken bit from there.
Unless it is the CV joint that has died rather than the halfshaft, again not the easiest of jobs to do. No not really difficult, just a bit long winded, lots of stuff to take off and put back on. Plus all the shrapnel to wash out of wherever it has come to rest.
I am not trying to put you off, just pointing out that it is probably not the sort of job that you want to start doing on a truck you haven't seen before. If only because of the possible variants in half shafts and CV joints. I suppose it depends on how much time you have available to make the repair/collection.

As for driving it home with a broken shaft in there, hmmm I know we used to drive loads of miles in series trucks in the army with broken halfshafts in the back axles, but I don't recall ever breaking one in the front axle. Don't forget all the time you are driving the 2 broken ends will be grinding against each other.
It can be done, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, you would also have to engage the difflock and i am sure there is a speed restriction somewhere in this caper as well, written on a warning plate that is fitted to the fuse box cover. The speed in question is 3MPH or 5 KPH but I cannot remember the precise circumstances under which it applies. So Hereford to Hull could take a while.

Was hoping disconnecting prop shaft would cancel out need to engage diff lock,

Was hoping disconnecting prop shaft would cancel out need to engage diff lock,
If you remove the front prop and don't engage the diff lock, you won't move. All the drive will go to the line of least resistence, ie the front output from the transfer box which will spin at a zillion rpm :eek:

If you remove the front prop and don't engage the diff lock, you won't move. All the drive will go to the line of least resistence, ie the front output from the transfer box which will spin at a zillion rpm :eek:

Of course didn't think of it like that. Looks like a trailer job then.

dont really see why you cant drive as fast as you want with the diff lock in. the speeds refered to earlyer refer to changing between hi - lo box. i seem to remember reading somewhere that you can put the diff lock in or out at upto 40km.hr although thats sounds a bit dodgey.

couldnt you just pull the broken bit of halfshaft out and assuming that its broken fairly near the diff it shoulf be ok to leave the rest in. i suppose you need the half shaft in to keep the oil in though. if you made a blanking plate... lol, getting a bit complex.

dont really see why you cant drive as fast as you want with the diff lock in. the speeds refered to earlyer refer to changing between hi - lo box. i seem to remember reading somewhere that you can put the diff lock in or out at upto 40km.hr although thats sounds a bit dodgey.

couldnt you just pull the broken bit of halfshaft out and assuming that its broken fairly near the diff it shoulf be ok to leave the rest in. i suppose you need the half shaft in to keep the oil in though. if you made a blanking plate... lol, getting a bit complex.

Don't think the diff would last from hereford to hull as your not supposed to engage diff unless the wheels are likely to lose traction. Transmission windup might become an issue.

If you take the front propshaft of and engage the centre diff you cant get wind up as wind up can only happen with both sides of the diff connected to driven wheels ,obviously that cant happen with the propshaft taken off and it just makes it like an ordinary rear wheel drive ,as for the broken half shaft ends rubbing ,well really only a very little bit when you are turning as at other times both bits are turning at the same speed so as long as you are sensible with the speed it should be ok to run a fair distance

i have driven with broken front half shaft and diff lock on on 2 occasions, first for approx 30 miles, second from county durham to ayr ,scotland ? miles. just took it easy, no quck gearchanges or high revs and max 50mph, no problems on either occasion:)

Back
Top Bottom