• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

DVLA engine change

i have come across a bit of an irritation. i tried to get the engine change official while i was getting the landy all back together. they inevitably requested another evidence letter, so i went to ask at the friendly local garage. they did it for me before but this time they said that they are not allowed to. apparently the letter can only come from a garage that does MOT's in house, and because they take cars elsewhere for the actual test they cant officially do anything.
now, i dont mean to sound like i dislike the garage as they have been very good in the past. however this sounds a bit like they cant be bothered to me. the dvla letter doesnt say anything about an accredited garage or anything. it simply says "a receipt of purchase on headed paper, from a garage, confirming the engine number, engine size (cc) and fuel type for the replacement engine." - "and inspection report provided for insurance purposes" - "written confirmation from the manufacturer showing the engine number and size" of course i didnt buy the engine from them as i did it all myself privately but it wasnt an issue last time.

then of course i cant insure it as the dvla says its diesel but its is petrol. the next closest garages are likely to charge a small fortune to look at it but they are at least 6 miles away and my favoured garage (who i like because they understand classics) for MOT's is a little further than that. i dont have a trailer or vehicle big enough to tow it around and i am sure you cant legally tow it unless its insured unless its on a dolly with at least two wheels off the floor.
really not sure how to get on with this now. does anyone know the official standpoint on this kind of thing?

It sounds like an excuse to me, like they can't be rsed. I had my evidence letter written by a local garage, a one man operation, not an MOT station, with no bother. In fact he dropped by on the way home from work and didn't want any pay for doing it; needless to say, I tipped him a tenner. I could have sent my own headed letter to DVLA but that might have raised a question if anybody actually does more than glance at it, (which I doubt). It does look like you'll have to bite the bullet and get it done elsewhere; perhaps you had better go in person and talk to another garage, explaining your difficulties.

Just do the same as the rest of us .....

Make up A letter head on your computer and use your mobile (Just incase) and print it off....couple of oily finger prints (not an issue usually ;)) and bobs your uncle

I have got this to come with the DVLA. Engine number is long gone on my Prima engine, they riveted a little aluminium plate to the block with the number on it....the plate has rotted away a long time ago....Rivets are still there. So it will have to be a substituted number from my boat!
I also have a colour change to do....

Chris, if this is still a problem I can write the letter (no charge), as I'm a Chartered Engineer and recognised as "competent". I would need a paragraph lisitng what you have done and photos showing the engine in the vehicle, if you can get one with the number (torch/mirror) thats nice but not vital. Also need one with the registration visible and any other pics showing the installton that helps me so i can say it is safe and has been done. The DVLA only require me to say its been done but its best to be covered and be able to say "done and done well". I would then print off and sign the photos and post back to you. It will take a week or so allowing for the post but it is one solution.

as above, if an historic vehicle you don't need a garage to "certify" it

Mine is definitely a historic vehicle (1969) G reg.
How do I handle the DVLA to get the fuel type changed from Petrol to Diesel?
My log book does not have an engine number or engine capacity printed on it. My 88" is a 271 chassis prefix for 88" Diesel utility, someone shoehorned a Rover V8 in the front a long time ago. I have fitted a Perkins Prima from a Rover Montego (I was going to say its a Rover 2.0 Diesel, which isn't technically a lie!) Early SII engine ha ha
Also I need to change the colour, the same hero that fitted the V8 put a coat of Blue paint badly on top of Bronze Green....so i'm going back to bronze green.
I have also replaced the chassis (Which I won't be telling them!!)
I just need to know the best way of doing this without making myself a load of trouble

Took this from the link below.
Correction of engine details on a V5C

With the vast majority of tax classes, e.g. PLG, these are dependent on engine size/type. This means that when an engine change, or correction of the engine details, is notified to DVLA, there needs to be independent verification of the new engine details before DVLA will accept the change. The Historic Vehicle tax class is one of the few tax classes which is independent of engine size, so changes in engine size/type are not subject to independent verification by DVLA.
http://www.imps.org.uk/legislation.html
Was also mentioned on a few Landrover forums.

so in actual fact, the smart move would be to get a garage headed letter before even attempting to submit the change of details ?

I think its a balnce between being accurate and creating hostages to fortune. In my view you want the basics right - engine fuel type, capacity, colour as you need to be covered for the insurence. I appreciate that you inform the insurer of the detials, but my insurence got held up because my decription "camper with lift up roof" did not mach the DVLA record "truck". DVLA refused to change as they said Landrover bodies are demoutable and so the body type (uniquely) is not a permanent feature. Some trueth but no use to me. Ended up compromising on "4x4 utility" which both the DVLA and insurence accepted. Where I would be careful is things like turbos and horsepower, I would stick to fuel and capacity and leave it at that.

I think its a balnce between being accurate and creating hostages to fortune. In my view you want the basics right - engine fuel type, capacity, colour as you need to be covered for the insurence. I appreciate that you inform the insurer of the detials, but my insurence got held up because my decription "camper with lift up roof" did not mach the DVLA record "truck". DVLA refused to change as they said Landrover bodies are demoutable and so the body type (uniquely) is not a permanent feature. Some trueth but no use to me. Ended up compromising on "4x4 utility" which both the DVLA and insurence accepted. Where I would be careful is things like turbos and horsepower, I would stick to fuel and capacity and leave it at that.

I thought the same....Bare minimal information!

Shall I just fill out the amendments part of the V5c and send it to the DVLA as mine is a Historic vehicle?

I have no cylinder capacity listed- its left blank. Engine number has, NOT STATED next to it.
All I am looking to do is Change Fuel Type to from Petrol to Diesel and Colour from Blue to Green.
I'm still thinking I might wait until I have progressed further with the build incase they decide that they want an inquest

i have mine in hand now. unfortunately it is 1977 so not exempt yet. however, when i first did the diesel conversion the V5 was practically blank. it said it was petrol but no engine size, number or power. they still insisted on evidence then though. now that is did have all that stuff listed it is probably always going to need these things if i should ever change the engine again (not that i am planning to of course).
i think i will be sorting a letter out before sending the V5 off in the first place in future.

I think the acid test is insurence, now that the insurers check the DVLA vehicle details they can refuse cover if they see blanks or if your info is differnt to the DVLA records (as happened in my case). If they accept cover there's probably no need to do anything but I think you could run into trouble if the engine is bigger than standard. If its historic DVLA won't care, but insurer could cover on "assumption" of standard engine unless notifed otherwise, then pull cover if the assessor opens the bonnet and finds anything bigger than 2.25L. Insurers are getting seriously picky and looking for any way to weedle out of their comittments. Freind of mine rolled a car, police report referred to "crates of tomatoes across the road", his father ran a greengrocers so they refused cover as it was being used for business on domestic cover. He'd have been ok if the boot hadn't opened. Silly thing is he was dropping them off as a favour on his way to somewhere else. They should have refused cover because he was a terrible driver, but that's another story.

Freind of mine rolled a car, police report referred to "crates of tomatoes across the road", his father ran a greengrocers so they refused cover as it was being used for business on domestic cover. He'd have been ok if the boot hadn't opened. Silly thing is he was dropping them off as a favour on his way to somewhere else. They should have refused cover because he was a terrible driver, but that's another story.

i'm sure he tried to claim, the reason he crashed was the crates of tomatoes all over the road :)

Back
Top Bottom