• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Petrol Engines E 10 petrol

dragon 87

Overdrive!
Hi everyone.
I bought 5 ltrs of E10 petrol accidentally for my chainsaw, mower & rotofil recently, but I don't want to ruin my engines...
Does anyone know if redex might cancel out any harmful effects please?
I'd waste it, but with costs as they are!
Many thanks.
Dave.

Very difficult to say... Its possible that the ethanol in the fuel could attack rubber parts, but its very unlikely in these quantities and with this kind of usage unless yuou left it in there for some time. If it was me, I would use the E10 and drain the fuel after use so it wasnt sitting in there.
You could put it in a car (or dilute it in a jerry can) with a larger quantity of E5 so it would make very little difference really.

I recently drained about 10 litres of (very) old petrol out of a car and bike that had been standing for a few years. I intent to add it to the defender a few litres at a time when I fill with diesel. Dilute fuels down enough and a bit of contamination with 'incorrect' fuels wont make a difference unless its on very modern engines.

Im using this stuff in my land rover, 2003 Skoda 1.8t and my motorbike. I also put some in some jerry cans to see how it keeps. We sell a lot of the JLM treatments where I work and have started stocking this. I have taken it home to see how effective it is. Not run through the fuel yet but I will let you know.

The Skoda seems to be happy on it with no noticable power drop between treated e10 and super unleaded. Where as I did see a difference on straight e10. Bike seems fine, and landy just sits there so will see if it goes off over the next few months. Same with the jerry cans

All of their other stuff is very effective so I am hopeful with this. You can buy it on amazon and ebay! Retails about £10 a pop and treats 250 litres of fuel, so considerable cost saving to be had if it works well for me!

Hi satancom .
Thanks for info 👍
Is JLM. much the same as redex ?
Or something else?
Ta.
D.

It's a brand like redex but they do several different treatments for oil and fuel amongst professional use intake and dpf cleaning fluids. I haven't seen anything like this sold in petrol stations yet

Hi everyone.
I bought 5 ltrs of E10 petrol accidentally for my chainsaw, mower & rotofil recently, but I don't want to ruin my engines...
Does anyone know if redex might cancel out any harmful effects please?
I'd waste it, but with costs as they are!
Many thanks.
Dave.
I bought a new Stihl blower over winter and was told that E10 is ok but don't leave it sitting with fuel in the tank for extended periods ie drain ot at the end of the season or as I got told make sure the last fill is E5 to purge the system.

Toolstation sell this stuff for chainsaws and mowers:

Toolstation sell this stuff for chainsaws and mowers:
That is worthwhile I think as my use has dropped considerably over the last 2 years.
Increased ethanol will lead to the increase in water absorbed into the fuel, meaning harder starting and more corrosion to aluminium or zinc alloys in the carb. I have found on the strimmer I get a stuck inlet needle valve now.
I think I may go for some kind of high octane additive that will help starting for my petrol generator, and one of those dinky 10L Jerry cans that you are supposed to be using at the pumps now. Or maybe two if I'm feeling extravagant.

Do you remember when there was a lot of silicone in fuels from Tesco I think that fooked peoples engines up? Were they compensated? Not sure if we can claim for rusted tanks as a result of their fuels.

The problem with most claims related to fuel is proving the link between the fault, the fuel and the specific forecourt. Even when its clear to the driver there's plenty of ways for their defense to weasel out.

That is worthwhile I think as my use has dropped considerably over the last 2 years.
Increased ethanol will lead to the increase in water absorbed into the fuel, meaning harder starting and more corrosion to aluminium or zinc alloys in the carb. I have found on the strimmer I get a stuck inlet needle valve now.
I think I may go for some kind of high octane additive that will help starting for my petrol generator, and one of those dinky 10L Jerry cans that you are supposed to be using at the pumps now. Or maybe two if I'm feeling extravagant.

Do you remember when there was a lot of silicone in fuels from Tesco I think that fooked peoples engines up? Were they compensated? Not sure if we can claim for rusted tanks as a result of their fuels.
Hi Richie_asg1 .
I rarely use these tools now either..but like all here we want the best for our engines & tools, 'cos we care...
Don't remember anything about Tesco fuel though...not tesco peeps..
👍

I had a chainsaw & lawnmower,I used to start up regularly. Or drain out completely,to keep it from going bad.
Motorcycle carb rubber bits rot out with ethanol, I've had a few bikes some almost impossible to get running right.
One bike I tried 5 sets of carbs,to find a good set ! Had them on & off so often,it began to piss me right off 🤬
The ethanol eats O rings & seals,leaves deposits if left for a while. I've removed what looks like,brown sugar crystals blocking jets,fuel & airways up.
The stuff effects fuel injection too,hear reports of knackered pumps & fuel system parts on other forums.

I have noticed that my Coleman 424 stoves generator is becoming gummed up with deposits along the internal spring quicker when burning E10 petrol. I thought E10 was supposed to be cleaner...

I had a Coleman stove used to run on unleaded,it always made the bottom of my kettle sooty.
Only ever used infrequently at motorcycle rallies,I prefer gas it's safer & easier. Than having to empty out petrol,then leave it to evaporate & dry out.

I had a Coleman stove used to run on unleaded,it always made the bottom of my kettle sooty.
Only ever used infrequently at motorcycle rallies,I prefer gas it's safer & easier. Than having to empty out petrol,then leave it to evaporate & dry out.
Ah that'll be because the generator tube was probably gummed up. There is a spring inside the tube that is there to assist in heating the pressurised petrol, when clean the flames burn beautifully blue and soot free.

This is our base camp cooker and has been brilliant. If anything needs doing parts are pretty cheap and easy to source too. It's the Land Rover of cookers to be honest.

What would you recommend for keeping for a petrol generator for emergency use? Not easy to drain properly as there will still be some in the carb.
I wouldn't mind buying a sealed can of some kind of fuel if it stores well.

Im using this stuff in my land rover, 2003 Skoda 1.8t and my motorbike. I also put some in some jerry cans to see how it keeps. We sell a lot of the JLM treatments where I work and have started stocking this. I have taken it home to see how effective it is. Not run through the fuel yet but I will let you know.

The Skoda seems to be happy on it with no noticable power drop between treated e10 and super unleaded. Where as I did see a difference on straight e10. Bike seems fine, and landy just sits there so will see if it goes off over the next few months. Same with the jerry cans

All of their other stuff is very effective so I am hopeful with this. You can buy it on amazon and ebay! Retails about £10 a pop and treats 250 litres of fuel, so considerable cost saving to be had if it works well for me!
Used up all the fuel now.. It did not separate over 2 months and everything ran fine. I filled the 1.8t back up with super unleaded on the weekend and there was noticible more punch. I was expecting it to last longer but I went camping twice in the landy so that used most of what I had bought!

Back
Top Bottom