• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Petrol Engines Electric off roaders

StevenFord

First Gear
There's lots of ideas floating about for electric off roaders and, I think, it all looks interesting. LR have hinted that the new Defender may have an electric drive train and there are prototype electric Defenders about already - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM9WwLso0vg
Ineos say that their attempt at a new Defender may well have an electric drive train but, unless anyone here knows differently, nobody has seen an example of their machine.
Electric UTVs and ATVs are for sale currently.
For speed try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJVtGmEUOpQ
However:
What about this for the best thing since sliced bread?: http://bollingermotors.com/new_site/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cge-DdMQxU
To my eyes the B1 is the best looking new off roader for ages and if the new Defender is not very similar it will be a grave disappointment. Look at the videos - all bolted and riveted together. 12' through load facility! Variable height suspension. Flat panels, flat glass - ideal.
What do you think?

Other companies are also offering kits to convert your series Land Rover, http://londonelectriccars.com/ but it seems the kits are also the cost of a new car, but once converted you can change the vehicle with DVLA to get zero road tax if you didn't get it before. but also means you get to drive in the Low Emissions Zones, which are spreading at a fair speed into other cities!

I had an interesting conversation with a guy from London Electric Cars. They have converted a few Land Rovers and they have enough expertise to do a fantastic job but unfortunately it was way beyond my budget. However they DID re-assure me that eventually there will have some "reclaimed" 2nd hand systems available to use for budget or DIY conversions.

There's also a company started to offer a "crate" motor/battery in a V8 footprint made to bolt in place of a conventional engine. Can't recall the name just now but it seems the obvious way to go.

Ah Ok. They went through 5 prototypes in 5 years..! Managing to set one on 🔥... Im guessing if they had bought a diesel back in 2012 they would still be running the same vehicle with minimal maintenance and lot more reliability... Some advantages with the silence when watching game, but it doesnt balance out the disadvantages to my mind...
I dont believe that BS about it being better for the environment Im afraid. I think the environmental impact of the mining and processing of materials is being vastly understated for political and commercial reasons.
I'm a long way from being convinced that moving to electric is the way to go unless you are delivering milk to the doorstep...

I agree that electric cars should really be considered 50% coal fired, especially in Germany, but if you can charge off your own solar that would be great. I was looking into an electic lawn mover but the build cost didn't stack up. I still like the idea of a Series converted to electric using scrap forklift batteris/controller/motor. This looks like under ÂŁ1000 for the electrics, no need for servo, Webasto for heater, LED lights. Would be around 30kw or less so about 45 mph and 40 mile range but that would cover a lot of my current driving as I live city centre. One concern is that I could take a tax/MOT exempt vehicle then get caught by the DVLA points / significant modifications clause and end up either taxed, ona Q plate or needing an MOT. Saw this TV show Goblin Garage where they converted Fiat 500 to EV and there was no mention of this, but these shows always avoid the important details.

Ah Ok. They went through 5 prototypes in 5 years..! Managing to set one on 🔥... Im guessing if they had bought a diesel back in 2012 they would still be running the same vehicle with minimal maintenance and lot more reliability... Some advantages with the silence when watching game, but it doesnt balance out the disadvantages to my mind...
I dont believe that BS about it being better for the environment Im afraid. I think the environmental impact of the mining and processing of materials is being vastly understated for political and commercial reasons.
I'm a long way from being convinced that moving to electric is the way to go unless you are delivering milk to the doorstep...

Sadly it looks like we are all going to be forced down this electric vehicle route.
I agree with you about the BS, there is no way it make environmental sense there aren't enough raw materials to make electric vehicles for everyone and nobody has mentioned the replacement of the now huge numbers of HGV's that are in use now.
Politicians really are tits, anything for a quick fix !

I dont think the politicians have a full understanding of the issue (nothing new there then). They are probably being misinformed by lobbyists to some degree and not seeing the big picture, plus they are being driven by the most vocal elements in society which they think is the vox populi but is actually just the noisiest and most evangelical sector.
Im not seeing the petrol companies shifting their focus to installing charge stations on forecourts so either they are waiting for demand to rise before they invest or maybe they have a more realistic vision of what is possible.

Hydrogen Fuel cells have to be the way ultimately surely? Using electricity generated from renewables to create the hydrogen. No need for masses of batteries and zero emissions from generation or use. Quick conveniant fill up similar to petrol/diesel.

Hydrogen Fuel cells have to be the way ultimately surely? Using electricity generated from renewables to create the hydrogen. No need for masses of batteries and zero emissions from generation or use. Quick conveniant fill up similar to petrol/diesel.

Could be the way, but we are going to have to make considerable investment in renewables before there is enough energy to power road transport. Until then, we are increasing our use of power from fossil or nuclear stations. Its costing a huge amount to move the source of pollution somewhere where its more easily forgotten...

Back
Top Bottom