• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine died- crank shaft fault

Jessie123

First Gear
I own a discovery TD4 HSE. 8 yr, less than 60k on clock. Fully serviced, Landrover approved, MOT pass in March. Returning from Aberdeen engine completely shut down on duel carriageway. No warning lights nothing. Once recovered garage say diagnostic test found that the crank shaft had seized. Now requires a brand new engine! Mechanic says it’s a component fault. Landrover not willing to contribute to fixing this. Will deliver nothing to us for repair. So disappointed as have had Freelanders/discovery’s for over 20 years. Anyone else heard /experience of this problem ??

Hi Jessie, have a look on this site "crankshaft fault" the problem is quite common, you need to get in touch directly with Land Rover customer services as you have what appears to be a known fault. Colin

The following is a service bulletin released to dealers in 2014 by Land Rover:

========================================================================================
Reference SSM71816

Models

Discovery 4 / L319
Discovery 3 / L319
Range Rover / L405
Range Rover Sport / L494
Range Rover Sport / L320

Title Crankshaft/Crankshaft Bearing Concerns - TDv6 Diesel Engine
Category Engine
Last modified 06-May-2014 00:00:00
Symptom 499000 Basic Engine

Content
Issue:
Crankshaft/crankshaft bearing failure - TDv6 Diesel Engine.
Cause:
Low incidence of crankshaft failure are being encountered, caused mainly by incorrect location of the main bearing shells during assembly, or through rotation of the shells during normal use. A new procedure has been implemented to ensure:
- more rapid resolution of customer concerns, and
- greater visibility of failure modes in order to improve repair process and parts delivery.

Action:
For any suspected crankshaft/bearing failure, please contact your local Dealer Technical Support or FRED team for details of the enhanced customer handling procedure.
The list below summarises typical symptoms of crankshaft/bearing failure, but please contact your DTS/FRED team if in any doubt as they will be pleased to offer assistance:
a· Crankshaft is seized, engine cannot be turned either via starter motor or crankshaft pulley bolt.
b· Oil sump or engine cylinder block is holed, with oil leakage and/or metallic debris found on engine under-tray.
c· Engine makes a loud rumbling/knocking sound when running which worsens as the engine is placed under load. The engine oil pressure warning light may flash or be continuously illuminated, especially at low engine speeds.
========================================================================================

So long as your engine is the TDV6 mentioned above, then Land Rover have acknowledged that this is a manufacturing defect, and should have some liability for repair.

Hope this helps.

Al.

I own a discovery TD4 HSE. 8 yr, less than 60k on clock. Fully serviced, Landrover approved, MOT pass in March. Returning from Aberdeen engine completely shut down on duel carriageway. No warning lights nothing. Once recovered garage say diagnostic test found that the crank shaft had seized. Now requires a brand new engine! Mechanic says it’s a component fault. Landrover not willing to contribute to fixing this. Will deliver nothing to us for repair. So disappointed as have had Freelanders/discovery’s for over 20 years. Anyone else heard /experience of this problem ??

Hi jessie what was the outcome from Landrover, as it appears we now have the same problem, thanks Marie

HELP / ADVICE NEEDED
We have a Landrover Range Rover Sport 2015 model that has had complete engine failure which we have now learned is down to a crankshaft design problem noted with these models although it has never been recalled by Landrover. Stratstone Landrover have quoted us £19k to replace the engine and all components however given the nature of the problem we thought Landrover would cover the majority of the cost, they have offered us a 10% contribution. We would like to hear from anyone else that this has happened to or anyone that can offer any advice of what we can do, the car was bought at 2 years old and we have owned it for approximately 2 years but there is no warranty on the car now, never the less a car of this cost should not have complete engine failure after just 4 years of being manufactured. Thank you

I have had 2 go in the space of 6 months... the first was 2013 plate with 62K on clock, out of Warranty so no help from LR there ! kept ahold of it with the view to replacing / fixing engine.. Then bought a 66 plate with 14K on the clock.. Was quoted all sorts of prices for Recon engines / repairs for the broken D4 but eventually I came across a 2011RRS with only 16K (had been crashed then stored for 6 years) so I bought that to swap engine into my D4... Whilst this was in Garage getting engine swap the crank snapped on the 16 Plate which had now done just over 20K.. Luckily was still under warranty so LR took it in and replaced with new engine..
All I can say is be very careful if you are going for a Rebuilt / Recon engine, there are a lot of cowboys out there offering this service but from what Ive read many of them are not lasting very long..
Good luck !

HELP / ADVICE NEEDED
We have a Landrover Range Rover Sport 2015 model that has had complete engine failure which we have now learned is down to a crankshaft design problem noted with these models although it has never been recalled by Landrover. Stratstone Landrover have quoted us £19k to replace the engine and all components however given the nature of the problem we thought Landrover would cover the majority of the cost, they have offered us a 10% contribution. We would like to hear from anyone else that this has happened to or anyone that can offer any advice of what we can do, the car was bought at 2 years old and we have owned it for approximately 2 years but there is no warranty on the car now, never the less a car of this cost should not have complete engine failure after just 4 years of being manufactured. Thank you
My 2015 Range Rover sport has done exactly the same thing today but it did pay for extended warranty and Land Rover are fitting a new engine free of charge

This has just happened to me bought a 2015 RRS from main dealer with 26k on the clock - within 24 hours the crankshaft has gone. They have offered me a new engine or my money back for the car. Any thoughts on which way I should go?

This has just happened to me bought a 2015 RRS from main dealer with 26k on the clock - within 24 hours the crankshaft has gone. They have offered me a new engine or my money back for the car. Any thoughts on which way I should go?

It depends whether you are happy to continue to own that particular car, or whether you would rather get your money back and go elsewhere.

Al.

I think I would get my money back and walk away. Buy something that is not a JLR product.
26,000 miles is a puny distance for something as central to the function of a vehicle as the engine. Honestly, that is a pathetic effort from whosoever designed the engine, built the vehicle or sold it in the first place.

Take the money back, buy another non LJ LR product, I have had LRs since 1963, no way will I buy a modern LR product at my age unless JLR assure reliability, (not likely!. Colin

Hi All

The exact same thing has happened to me very recently, car currently being inspected by dealer. Whilst I wait in fear I would be keen to hear the final out come of @marieotley case with her 2015 RR Sport?

Also has anyone here found an actual copy which confirms the manufacturer has confirmed the fault? I hear it is available on TopIX and was sent to all dealers but can't see any actual confirmation other than people just saying the report was published.

Look forward to hearing...

The following is a service bulletin released to dealers in 2014 by Land Rover:

Reference SSM71816

Models

Discovery 4 / L319
Discovery 3 / L319
Range Rover / L405
Range Rover Sport / L494
Range Rover Sport / L320

Title Crankshaft/Crankshaft Bearing Concerns - TDv6 Diesel Engine
Category Engine
Last modified 06-May-2014 00:00:00
Symptom 499000 Basic Engine

Content
Issue:
Crankshaft/crankshaft bearing failure - TDv6 Diesel Engine.
Cause:
Low incidence of crankshaft failure are being encountered, caused mainly by incorrect location of the main bearing shells during assembly, or through rotation of the shells during normal use. A new procedure has been implemented to ensure:
- more rapid resolution of customer concerns, and
- greater visibility of failure modes in order to improve repair process and parts delivery.

Action:
For any suspected crankshaft/bearing failure, please contact your local Dealer Technical Support or FRED team for details of the enhanced customer handling procedure.
The list below summarises typical symptoms of crankshaft/bearing failure, but please contact your DTS/FRED team if in any doubt as they will be pleased to offer assistance:
a· Crankshaft is seized, engine cannot be turned either via starter motor or crankshaft pulley bolt.
b· Oil sump or engine cylinder block is holed, with oil leakage and/or metallic debris found on engine under-tray.
c· Engine makes a loud rumbling/knocking sound when running which worsens as the engine is placed under load. The engine oil pressure warning light may flash or be continuously illuminated, especially at low engine speeds.

So long as your engine is the TDV6 mentioned above, then Land Rover have acknowledged that this is a manufacturing defect, and should have some liability for repair.

Hope this helps.

Al.

Thank you for sharing this, it is the exact problem with my car. Do you know where I can find the official publication from Land Rover?

Thank you for sharing this, it is the exact problem with my car. Do you know where I can find the official publication from Land Rover?

Hi,

It was only ever an internally released notification to dealerships, I think, rather than a public document.

Al.

Hi,

It was only ever an internally released notification to dealerships, I think, rather than a public document.

Al.

Seems unlawful almost. Land Rover are aware of an inherent manufacturing fault and have only released details to retailers and not the consumer. I almost crashed my car with my 2 year son in the back when the fault become apparent. Surely this can't be right. My dealer is now sending a report to Land Rover regarding my car which I am not allowed to see. All very ambiguous.

Had a tdv6 3l autobiography for 4 month, cost me over £50,000.full LR service history,only 43,000 miles 2016 model 2 year warranty....guese what engine ceased. Warranty do not want to know. How can they do this? It's daylight robbery! What can I do? Any ideas?

Take it back and request a refund on either of the following grounds: Goods not fit for purpose. Or goods not of merchantable quality. Sale of goods act 1975 is the relevant legislation and you are entitled to a full refund.

Thanks for that. Apparently the dealership are chasing land rover for some good will!!! I don't feel much of that at the moment. Been driving/owning landies for 25 years, if I do get this put right I will ship it out at a loss and get me a Nissan Micra!

Back
Top Bottom