• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine ONLY starts when ignition key is released

ollie88

In Third Gear
Hey guys,

So I went for an 800km drive last weekend, quite an adventure but all went well until I discovered my 1974 series 3 would only start when releasing the ignition key... super weird, it cranks like usually just seem to not ignite when cranking? Any ever had this issue?

Also my landie has some pretty chaotic wiring due to a former LNG installation that I took out, the LNG switch and computer are still connected because when I disconnect them it won't ignite either (it does crank though) so I would really benefit from a simple electric wiring schedule for a series 3 Santana :)

Thanks in advance for your help! Here's a pic from my Landie in its most recent shape (cheers from Colombia)
86AF87D4-8EEF-4D27-8853-A114BB123165_1_102_o.jpeg

....my 1974 series 3 would only start when releasing the ignition key... super weird, it cranks like usually just seem to not ignite when cranking? Any ever had this issue?
We're not jealous of the weather....

The coil... does it have two wires connected to the + terminal?
And is there a ballast resistor?

One wire would connect to the ignition switch through the ballast resistor, and the other wire would connect direct to the starter or the starter solenoid. It sounds as if that second wire has come adrift.

As Neil said, that is a setup found on V8s, including mine, and that is the symptom when the 12V feed goes missing.

When you turn the key to the ignition on position, with both the charge and oil lights on it should be putting 12v down to the positive side of the coil, when you turn the key to the start position that voltage should still be there along with a 12v feed down to the starter solenoid.
If the switch goes faulty it can sometimes lose the supply to the coil in the start position.
You may have a faulty switch.
Or it could be some other previous owner shenanigans in the wiring loom.

Thanks so much guys, I will go check tonight what I can find out. But given that i;ve been going down A LOT of bumpy roads I suspect it may have been that one of the wires came loose... will keep you posted ;)

Back
Top Bottom