• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

engine swap - long term plans (dreams)

jasper110

Offroader
some time in the very distant future the 3.5 v8 will be coming out of the 110 in favour of ????. well here's the snag,should i go for;

V8
pros;
more power than current lump
sounds nice (not much of a reason)
quiet enough when driving
easily fitted

cons;
thirsty
lpg (fitted at the moment) tank takes up boot space
lpg has limited range (living in NE Scotland driving any distance is like planning F1 pit stops)
doesn't like swimming (not much of a problem)

300tdi conversion
pros;
range
get my boot space back
can paddle (i don't wade anyway)

cons;
it must be noisier than driving a V8
it'll be a second hand unit most likey with no history
possibly the same performance as i've got now (maybe a bit better)

2.8tgv
pros;
normal tdi stuff plus more power/torque
brand spanking new

cons;
how much???

pricewise i expect the V8 would come in as the cheapest, then the tdi and then (i'm already questioning why i included it) the 2.8TGV.

i don't want a petrol versus diesel post, just a point in what you think is the right direction and why.

thanks.

ps. despite my 2 kids constantly telling mummy that daddy needs a new 'big engine', she isn't falling for it!!

(I do have a petrol vs diesel bias, but anyway)

You can solve all of those problems on the V8. And as you say, it's the easiest swap.

-I have 2 underslung tanks on my 110, 90L total on mine but could be bigger still if you start to sacrifice ground clearance (my current ones dont at all)
-Fit the Ford EDIS solid state ignition. cheap (ebay/breakers) and immune to water. plus, no worn mech parts.

(I do have a petrol vs diesel bias, but anyway)

You can solve all of those problems on the V8. And as you say, it's the easiest swap.

-I have 2 underslung tanks on my 110, 90L total on mine but could be bigger still if you start to sacrifice ground clearance (my current ones dont at all)
-Fit the Ford EDIS solid state ignition. cheap (ebay/breakers) and immune to water. plus, no worn mech parts.

i'd like to see pics and details of your underslung tanks. do you have a station wagon?

I will take some.
Yes i have a CSW.
The supplier ( www.tinleytech.co.uk ) gave me what they normally fit. which is one large for drivers side & smaller for passenger, because battery box is lower. What i ended up doing is modifying the base of the battery box to bring it up to the same level as the drivers side. (Still allows std battery to fit)
So in the end i could have fitted 2 large tanks. If you wanted to squeeze more range, I think you could even get a 3rd toroidal tank in the centre above & behind the transfer box (as i have an air resevoir tank there)

300Tdi and R380 box,get it done properly and enjoy reliability,reasonable performance,a decent range,higher residual value,instant starting and no damp/water problems.If it is soundproofed it doesnt have to be noisey either.Plus not many V8's make 300,000m either.
Lpg is a pain,it rarely feeds the engine properly,is difficult to get,no one maintains the systems properly,often they are responsible for coolant leaks.Plus the insurance and Channel tunnel problems.
V8's are lovely engines,but til we can buy a cheap,decent alternative to petrol its days are over unless you are prepared to shell out lots of cash on a regular basis.

300Tdi and R380 box,get it done properly....

here lies the problem, who can do a proper job??

i agree with some of your commments on lpg regarding obtainability, if i want to drive from my place to the west coast, i have to do it during the day as the garages that sell LPG all close around 5pm. even in the town where i live. i can't get gas after 12pm on a saturday and not at all on a sunday. i have no insurance issues, and have no desire to use the chunnell.

going by your user name you have a V8?

I will take some.
Yes i have a CSW.
The supplier ( www.tinleytech.co.uk ) gave me what they normally fit. which is one large for drivers side & smaller for passenger, because battery box is lower. What i ended up doing is modifying the base of the battery box to bring it up to the same level as the drivers side. (Still allows std battery to fit)
So in the end i could have fitted 2 large tanks. If you wanted to squeeze more range, I think you could even get a 3rd toroidal tank in the centre above & behind the transfer box (as i have an air resevoir tank there)

thanks, i'm looking forward to seeing the pics. is it difficult to plumb in extra tanks, and what sizes do you have??

here lies the problem, who can do a proper job??

i agree with some of your commments on lpg regarding obtainability, if i want to drive from my place to the west coast, i have to do it during the day as the garages that sell LPG all close around 5pm. even in the town where i live. i can't get gas after 12pm on a saturday and not at all on a sunday. i have no insurance issues, and have no desire to use the chunnell.

going by your user name you have a V8?
Not at the moment,just spend lots of time fixing V8 Disco's and RR's,most of which have poorly set up Lpg systems.Tomorrow mornings job is to put the heads back on a 4ltr Bosch injected engine,today was Disco v8 SRS faults.
I'm just fed up with giving big bills and bad news to people who thought they were on to a good thing.Joys of running a LR garage !
Sorry, but I dont know of a good garage to do your conversion near you,worth another thread see if anyone can recommend a good place.

300Tdi and R380 box,get it done properly and enjoy reliability,reasonable performance,a decent range,higher residual value,instant starting and no damp/water problems.If it is soundproofed it doesnt have to be noisey either.Plus not many V8's make 300,000m either.
Lpg is a pain,it rarely feeds the engine properly,is difficult to get,no one maintains the systems properly,often they are responsible for coolant leaks.Plus the insurance and Channel tunnel problems.
V8's are lovely engines,but til we can buy a cheap,decent alternative to petrol its days are over unless you are prepared to shell out lots of cash on a regular basis.

Jon, Without wanting to get into a handbag fight - theres not actually one correct statement in that lot. (shakes head pitifully)

I have a 55L + 36L, but as mentioned 2x 55L could be fitted, with seatbox mods.

now that is interesting, i reckon along with my 70 ltr in the rear it would give me a range of around 440miles +petrol should i need it! this would solve my biggest gripe of, range. looking forward to the pics and then i'll give tinleytech as buzz.
thanks

Pics attached.

Note: the 36L tank is neat & is well above chassis members, the 55L is a bit more exposed, but no lower than the central members.
If you are into serious off-roading then maybe this is not for you, but for general/light off-road the clearance is not signficantly affected.
The tanks are 3mm steel & Tinley told me they can stand a lot of punishment.

p.s. I can thouroughly recommend Tinleytech, they were very helpful & a fair bit cheaper than some competitors.

Attachments

• IMG_0049 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0049 (Medium).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0050 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0050 (Medium).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0051 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0051 (Medium).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0052 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0052 (Medium).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 23
Pics attached.

Note: the 36L tank is neat & is well above chassis members, the 55L is a bit more exposed, but no lower than the central members.
If you are into serious off-roading then maybe this is not for you, but for general/light off-road the clearance is not signficantly affected.
The tanks are 3mm steel & Tinley told me they can stand a lot of punishment.

p.s. I can thouroughly recommend Tinleytech, they were very helpful & a fair bit cheaper than some competitors.

thanks very much for the pics. i'm not too sure about the 55 ltr tank,but will think about it. the 36ltr however looks very neat.my 10 is used a a camping wagon with only light offroad use. are these the only tanks you have or is there another in the loadbay? also what knid of range have you got?
many thanks.

These are my only tanks. 90L (i get about 75L into them) I've not actually noted the range, but i live in Geneva & gas stations are plentiful in France where i normally travel.

As you say, you could add 2x 36L to your current tank & have a very neat install.

If you are interested in the Ford EDIS ignition install to cure water issues, its very easy & cost me about 70 quid. look at the end of the thread on LR4x4.com here : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7010&st=40

I do like that setup there HoSS! Very tidy. I can only think of a few occasions on 'typical' off road stuff that would cause those tanks to get hit or knocked, but if you're careful then that shouldn't really happen anyway. :)
It reminds me a lot of the Series 88-inch setup, as the petrol tank is under the driver's seat and is fairly vulnerable as a result.

At least with running on gas, you can tell if it's running rich as it'll absolutely stink of the stuff! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom