• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

EWS Winches feedback wanted

shadyadie

Trekker
I'm thinking of getting an ews winch anyone got one.

I am lead to believe that they can be slow, but I only want it for self recovery.

Also I am thinking of mounting it on the back and not the front,
with the plan that I should be able to go back from where I have come from. Any thoughts

I'm thinking of getting an ews winch anyone got one.

I am lead to believe that they can be slow, but I only want it for self recovery.

Also I am thinking of mounting it on the back and not the front,
with the plan that I should be able to go back from where I have come from. Any thoughts

dunno about EWS winches mate but i can recomend champion one's, there not expensive and a good strong winch, i have them on to recovery trucks and they give no bother at all.

As for putting it on the back, I might be wrong here but you can get a tray to mount it in i think, someone else might be able to confirm that.
Cheer's Baz:)

I've bought it now, Now i'm having second thoughts

where do I put it
option 1 front of hybrid (would need to move spare wheel and fix the radiator in the back)
option 2 back of hybrid ( would need to move the spare wheel to make room)
option 3 front of rangie for green laning ( would need to make a bumper for it)
option 4 give up and sell it.

I think if you are using it for self recovery it is better on the back. Why pull yourself further into an obstacle? Then again, where is the fun in the easy option!! (as long as it's not on a green lane!)

I've bought it now, Now i'm having second thoughts

where do I put it
option 1 front of hybrid (would need to move spare wheel and fix the radiator in the back)
option 2 back of hybrid ( would need to move the spare wheel to make room)
option 3 front of rangie for green laning ( would need to make a bumper for it)
option 4 give up and sell it.

Option 5 put it on a revolving turntable under the middle, then you can go forward's, backward's and side to side :D

Got the winch on wednesday night
The power pack, fixing bolts and wire sleeves and claw are missing, have emailed company, but no reply as yet!

So I can't check if the winch is working :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen systems which allow you to route the winch cable either front or backwards from a centrally mounted winch, depending on what pull you need. Don't know how it works but I've seen it used a few times. I think Ibex trucks use a similar system.

Infact I even saw a photo in Total Off Road a few months back (think it was coverage from something at Whitworth) and a guy had a fairlead on the top of his rollcage, so he could route the cable out that way to right himself after a roll.

Though I suppose your fuel tank would get in the way of mounting a winch centrally in the rear tub.

Is it legal to carry a puncture repair kit instead of a spare? If so, I'd do that cos I bet the hybrid doesn't do too much mileage without the company of the rangey (plus caravan too quite often...) meaning you can always have your spare to hand in another vehicle.

Alternatively just buy a cheapo winch bumper and stick it on the Rangey, and carry on relying on the rest of us to tow the hybrid out of the muck at trials and playdays... ;)

Back
Top Bottom