• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

free guitar

landydoctor

Trekker
here it is...thought I'd post it here so you can all see the result when it's done... the paint isn't too bad but I'm goign to flat it back and put a new topcoat on. The pickups have been messed with and the originals are missing... it's got an assortment of knobs...non of which are the originals. on the face of it you wouldn't bother
But I think it culd be quite nice.:)

here's some pics of the guitar as I found it. It had been stored under a set of stairs in a damp part of the house so has quite a bit of rust here and there..

Attachments

• guitar1.JPG
    guitar1.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 75
  • guitar2.JPG
    guitar2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 82
the first of my jobs was to get all the green $hite that has accumulated on the frets..I started with some brasso taking care not to get it on the wood....then thought feck this and got the dremel out and polished them all:D:D looks okay though.
the first one is what they looked likebefore my grubby mits got on them:D

Attachments

• frets before.JPG
    frets before.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 54
  • frets after.JPG
    frets after.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 61
  • frets after polish.JPG
    frets after polish.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 65
nice one Dave , might be an idea to allow it to dry out slowly before you mess with it too much.
guitars and damp don't really mix too well.
did it have strings on it when you found it?

yeah that's what I thought. I left it in the utillity room..no heating in there... then i'll bring it in when it's had time to settle down a bit.. It least it's all dry now..
It had strings on it when I found it, but who ever put it away was doing so for a long time.. He's loosen'd all the strings off... I've checked the neck join and it's solid and still has quite a bit of spring in it :)

The down side is all of the knobs have seized :( so they're comming out and I'll replace em with the propper les paul ones.

Is it one of the Les Paul copys? Surely you didn`t find a real one. I think he`s rubbin it in a bit Nobber. He`s got a nice inside job goin while your gonna be out with the sniffles trippin you on that 90:D

You`ll be phonin him asking how he got on with guitar today and he`ll tell you how much bother he had gettin em nobs off in the kitchen while you`ve been in the wind tunnel covered in grease:D......... "I`m strugglin mate. At one point today I had to turn the central heatin off.".....:D :D
Alex

I took it to a shop last night to see if the guys there had any idea of it's age. They said somewhere between 1971 and 1975.... I've decided to keep the guitar as close to original as possible. I've ordered up two Gibson Humbuckers to replace the DiMarzio ones that it currently have. I managed to free the knobs up but the internals look thike they're past it. All of the woring has been stripped and a new loom has been ordered with new switches and pots.

The Jack was a brown lump of crud! I had to grind it off with the dremel (great tool)

I'm replacing all the hardware on the guitar with new Gibson parts... I know it's an Ibanez but it's as close as I could get to the original parts.

I'll post some pics tonight:)

Right, been a busy chappy. I wired up the guitar and got a bit carried away and finished it :D:D

All my new bits came this morning (first pic) I decided to go for chrome rather than the gold look..and I have to say the finish looks great.

The old hardware was way past it, here's a pic of the old bridge against the new one....I dont think the old one would have been up to much :D

I got cream pickup surrounds to highlight the cream in the inlay. It was so thereputic getting all the shiney bits on :D Job done! hooked it up to my amp and I very chuffed!!

Attachments

• headstock.JPG
    headstock.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 52
  • down.JPG
    down.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 59
  • finished top.JPG
    finished top.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 49
  • bridge old and new.JPG
    bridge old and new.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 62
  • new bits.JPG
    new bits.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 38
here's some pics of the guitar as I found it. It had been stored under a set of stairs in a damp part of the house so has quite a bit of rust here and there..

Much, Much, to rude to post the words here but if you wish to know the definition of the words 'Rusty Guitar' then follow this Urban Dictionary link. (Be warned words are very 'Adult Content' and as such are not suitable for young children, people who suffer from nervous disorders, heart problems, bad backs, or a general malaise)

Last edited by a moderator:
:D:D:D jesus!! I'd never heard that one before..and trust me I've got some colourful sayings :D:D

I lecture at a well know University, and believe you me, the saying that Students have and that I hear on a day to day basis, are both imaginative and would make your hair curl even if you were bald!:eek:

to discribe a lady who's been about a bit my favourite is "her lady garden's like a wizards sleeve (or clown's pocket...depends what mood i'm in) :D

to discribe a lady who's been about a bit my favourite is "her lady garden's like a wizards sleeve (or clown's pocket...depends what mood i'm in) :D

For that type of female my favourite is: It is like dangling a worm in a dustbin!:D

I got cream pickup surrounds to highlight the cream in the inlay. It was so thereputic getting all the shiney bits on :D Job done! hooked it up to my amp and I very chuffed!!

My dad makes instruments, and he says the same thing, just looks like allot of work to me :D

Looking good By the way..

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom