• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

UK Gatescarth Permit Lake District

Jbravo

In Second Gear
Hi

I have a spare permit for any Defender 90 or similar who would like to join me going up Gatescarth Pass on 13th May.
The other defender owner I was going with has had to cancel and you aren't allowed to go as a single vehicle

Hi

I have a spare permit for any Defender 90 or similar who would like to join me going up Gatescarth Pass on 13th May.
The other defender owner I was going with has had to cancel and you aren't allowed to go as a single vehicle
To far for me to go otherwise would love to have joined you ..are you camping or just for the day drive ..

When I saw your offer I thought yes.. I should be home but wondered why you were stipulating a 90 or similar 🤔..
I've had a Google and think I've grasped it🤣.. Mine is a 110 so I'm assuming that's a no no.. Seems odd.. I thought maybe based on vehicle gross weight might make more sense to damage mitagation concerns🤔

When I saw your offer I thought yes.. I should be home but wondered why you were stipulating a 90 or similar 🤔..
I've had a Google and think I've grasped it🤣.. Mine is a 110 so I'm assuming that's a no no.. Seems odd.. I thought maybe based on vehicle gross weight might make more sense to damage mitagation concerns🤔
Only 4x4 with wheelbase of 90 allowed up the pass.

More to do with the tightness of some of the bends ...

Only 4x4 with wheelbase of 90 allowed up the pass.
Is this a new stipulation, as several D2 trips have been made around the Gatescarth ?

I just checked, and it actually states:

10. 4x4 vehicles with a wheelbase of over 100 inch are not permitted to drive Gatescarth Pass. This is because of the damage caused by larger 4 x 4s. Please read the Driver and Rider Guidance for more detailed information. You will be refused access on the permit day if your vehicle does not meet these requirements.

That would explain why the D2s were OK then, as they have 100" wheelbase.

I can't join you though unfortunately :lol:

Last edited:
After a few uuutube vids I’m thinking it’s not that bad for a 110 ..can’t see the reason why ..unless there are some sections of the trail that are tight ..wish it was nearer .

I have to admit to being interested in this despite being a novice at green laning.
I also don't know about going with someone I've never met. 😅

After a few uuutube vids I’m thinking it’s not that bad for a 110 ..can’t see the reason why ..unless there are some sections of the trail that are tight ..wish it was nearer .
It's got some really steep/tight bends with a loose surface ....
Meaning shunts in a lwb vehicle and possible heavy damage to the already delicate surface .

Back
Top Bottom