• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Gear oil suitability - lube me up!

Red Currant Bun

In Third Gear
Is multigrade GL/SAE 75W-90 gear/hypoid oil suitable for the gearbox, transferbox, diffs and swivel hubs on a Series 3, swb, 1982, petrol, 2.25L?

Thanks and cheers.

I think thats maybe a bit thin. The minimum you should be looking at should be 80W EP, for use in sub zero temps.

Ideally you should be looking at an oil to GL4 spec...though thats more for the earlier boxes. Of course,. if EP90 is hard to get in your area, you have to use what you can get..... I have used EP80/90w to no ill effect. (well none thats shown itself yet)

Is multigrade GL/SAE 75W-90 gear/hypoid oil suitable for the gearbox, transferbox, diffs and swivel hubs on a Series 3, swb, 1982, petrol, 2.25L?

Thanks and cheers.

Is there anything more confusing and bewildering than oil specifications??? You'd think we'd have arrived at a simple system by now. I don't understand it all so this is just a guess at it. I think....
That oil sounds like its a multigrade gear oil that would probably be ok, and may be even better than straight EP 90, as it will be a bit thinner when its cold but will still be 90 grade when warm. Hypoid gears have high pressures so it will probably be ok as far as the EP bit goes. I'm not sure about the gearbox. I read somewhere that the syncho rings don't like very low friction oils as it makes it hard for them to get a grip and the sychro (allegedly) doesn't work as well and can heat the rings up and damage them. I stuck to stadard EP90 GL4 in the gearbox and overdrive.

I also went for EP90 all round, seemed most cost effective as 10 litres was enough for both my diff's transfer box, gearbox and over drive!

LOL... I read that as...

"both my diff's transfer box, gearbox and drive" Still appropriate though.

They recommend GL4 because of the phospher bronze bushings in the earlier gearboxes. They reckon the later oils eat the bronze...dont know about that myself, never seen the damage. But I stick with GL4 EP90 anyway. Our local partco charge me £8.99 a gallon..well, 4.5 litres.

Back
Top Bottom