• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How Do I? Handbrake questions

TBM

Extreme Landy Fan
I'm sick to death of banging my left leg on the handbrake on my series and what to give myself a bit more room in the footwell.

I've looked at using the Range Rover handbrake and seen some of the excellent conversions done on Defenders.

In the parts manual for the series transmission brake and it seems that, like the defender, it relies on a expander which is pulled out when the handbrake is applied.

Is it as simple as finding a way of attaching the Range Rover handbrake cable to this expander?

Or is it possible to swap the series expander for a defender one? Do you think it's a straight swap?

Finally, has anyone got a Range Rover handbrake they'd like to sell me? ;)

Right, got a second hand RRC handbrake and cable from fleabay for just over £20 delivered. Bargain.

Has anyone got a diagram of either the Defender handbrake set up or the RRC handbrake set up so I can see what I've got to fabricate/bodge to make it fit?

Anyone interested in pictures when I do it?

Here are a couple of pics of the Defender set-up, and three different RRC set-ups used over the years. Might have some better pics, will post them here if I find any :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be enough movement on the RR cable to match that of the movement on the vertical rod connecting the relay to the SIII lever. You'll beed to fabricate a mounting to hold the outer sleeve of the new cable stationary relative to the brake back plate (if you go direct to that) or the relar pivot point if you connect to the relay.

The other option is to go foor the X-Eng brake disc system which uses a 200Tdi lever and cable. More expensive, but you know it will fit with the minimum of hassle and cobbling, and is reputed to be far superior to the existing set up on any LR transmission brake.

There should be enough movement on the RR cable to match that of the movement on the vertical rod connecting the relay to the SIII lever. You'll beed to fabricate a mounting to hold the outer sleeve of the new cable stationary relative to the brake back plate (if you go direct to that) or the relar pivot point if you connect to the relay.

The other option is to go foor the X-Eng brake disc system which uses a 200Tdi lever and cable. More expensive, but you know it will fit with the minimum of hassle and cobbling, and is reputed to be far superior to the existing set up on any LR transmission brake.

Thanks Snagger. I'll be raiding my box of motorbike cabley bits!

The X brake is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at early 90's and 110's.They have the rod system from the gearbox to a bracket then to a cable.
I have no idea on what year though.

Yes I gave Colin the idea. That's my Defender in the bottom pics.

HTH

Have a look at early 90's and 110's.They have the rod system from the gearbox to a bracket then to a cable.
I have no idea on what year though.

Yes I gave Colin the idea. That's my Defender in the bottom pics.

HTH

Thanks, I'll have a look for that.

Here are a couple of pics of the Defender set-up, and three different RRC set-ups used over the years. Might have some better pics, will post them here if I find any :)

Bernie, is there any chance you could email me a larger picture of the far right RRC handbrake set up along with the page with the part numbers?

I can PM my email address is required? Thank you.

Bernie, is there any chance you could email me a larger picture of the far right RRC handbrake set up along with the page with the part numbers?

I have just pulled a full Defender handbrake off my Defender. That's the backplate and brake drum.
If you'd like it I'll check that it's there tomorrow.
You make arrangements for collection.

Yep can do, PM me your email address

I've just thought about this again.
The 90/110 had a rod brake system into the drum. A cable to a bracket then the rod.
Bernie do you have a picture of that set-up.
That would be easier then trying to fit a full Defender set-up.

Can't seem to find any different ones from those I've already posted, apart from the series set-up, which is what he has already :D

Hello,

How about the hand brake set-up from a LHD Series? I have a LHD and if I had the same problem I would put the hand brake lever in the other footwell. Mine has the holes in the seat box on both sides.

The handbrake I've got is the one in the far right picture - there's a couple of circlips missing so I need to order them. The plan is either to remove the series rod and replace it with the cable (I've got the relevant P clips to secure it all together). I may have to fabricate a couple of brackets.

Or, to make a lever that is a) pulled by the cable and b) pulls the rod. Using a piece off slotted plate I can increase/decrease the distance of pull on the rod by the cable. (Pivot at top and either rod above cable, or cable above rod).

I'm trying to stick to the K.I.S.S. method whilst spending the least amount of money! £4.00 for the handbrake, £8.00 for the cable and a couple of quid for clips so far.

Hello,

How about the hand brake set-up from a LHD Series? I have a LHD and if I had the same problem I would put the hand brake lever in the other footwell. Mine has the holes in the seat box on both sides.

I imagine it would be too far to reach, with harnesses my reach is limited. I think the series handbrake is an appallingly ugly bit of kit anyway!

Back
Top Bottom