• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Has anybody used ICS steering

Pic of my faulty steering shaft -beyond re use.

Attachments

• my old S3 steering shaft.jpg
    my old S3 steering shaft.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 18
I have used ICS (about 5 years ago) and they were fine then. They did say that they had someone who for Burman, the original steering box people, maybe someone has retired.

I have my steering box on the bench.
With the adjustment backed off, turning the shaft by hand feels terrible. Heading in mind that ALL the bearings are new it feels like some of the balls are square. Difficult to determine if it is just the tiny balls in the top bearing or something more fundamental. I'll drain it today and get the size cover off.
It has always been noisy which should have warned me that all was not well

I have my steering box on the bench.
With the adjustment backed off, turning the shaft by hand feels terrible. Heading in mind that ALL the bearings are new it feels like some of the balls are square. Difficult to determine if it is just the tiny balls in the top bearing or something more fundamental. I'll drain it today and get the size cover off.
It has always been noisy which should have warned me that all was not well
It sure would be nice if someone would start reproducing series steering shafts and nuts. Even Britpart would be better than nothing. (Go on then... flame me! Haha!)

I don't know why this device keeps changing my text :mad:
Heading in mind should read: BEARING in mind
Get the size cover off should read: get the SIDE cover off

Bugs the hell out of me. I have auto-correct disabled on everything...
Me too. Problem is my fingers can't spell.

I once refused to accept a written warning until they corrected the spelling errors. And once they had it right (took them three goes) I told them where to shove their job.

I have a late 2a steering box somewhere. It had been P.O.'d so of limited use I think. I kept if to use as an exchange if ever I needed to. It won't fit the 3 so I don't know if it was worth the keeping.

I have used ICS (about 5 years ago) and they were fine then. They did say that they had someone who for Burman, the original steering box people, maybe someone has retired.
The more i read ... the more i am convinced that ics were the useless bunch of teapots..( reference ..what grinds your gears last wednesday ..) that i ever did use .. and the reason for the now probably well convinced is this..... "They did say that they had someone who for Burman, the original steering box people, maybe someone has retired...." exactly the same spiel they fed me ... but at the time it was a three way thing .. there is a person who goes to shows ..etc .. and you deal with him i think that is the .. ics .. part .. he then gives your steering box to the people to repair/refurbish ....d&a steering.... and if the person or persons . who did my shaft use to work building the burman steering box .. then that person worked in the toilets and not on the main floor because his workmanship was more suitable to his working environment...they had welded on the new wormdrive end that the only thing that would think it was straight was ..Clarence the cross eyed lion ...and i do wonder if the shaft they they can supply are no more than second hand shafts ... unless they are getting them made .. which i sorely doubt ....

Dunno if the new ones were much better... I have an army surplus NOS in my S3 that I bought from Dunsfold, been in there seven years perhaps 10,000 miles, got 2" of play at the wheel rim. Which is OK, sort of.
On the plus side, it doesn't leak.

Contrast with the box in my 63 Rambler, 72,000 and zero play after adjustment, but it does leak, even the steam cylinder oil drips out v e r y sloooowly.

Pic of my faulty steering shaft -beyond re use.
That's interesting wear. Does a ball sit in the unworn bit OK? I'm wondering if its been run very loose and that's caused the damage at the top of the ball track? Its all on one side too, would that be the place it takes load if the nearside wheel is hitting drains, potholes, kerbs?

Back
Top Bottom