• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Heated windscreen Wiring Diagram

Neil

Posting Guru
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the heated screen on a defender please? I just splashed out on one and whilst I suspect it is run through a relay in the same way as the HRW it would be nice to get it right.

Thanks

Have a look here for a link to the 2002 Model Year Wiring Diagram, which includes the Heated Windscreen -

https://www.lrukforums.com/showthread.php/207019-Wiring-diagram-td5-110

Seeing as your location is Ohio, I thought you might also like the LHD version.

I haven't looked to see if there's any difference -

LHDDefenderHFS.jpg

As it's difficult to see any detail on the resized attachment, here's a link to the fullsize image -

LHDDefenderHFS.jpg

so by looking at the Picture diagram, am I right in saying that if there is a break in the wire and the windscreen isnt working, then the light on the switch shouldnt come on?

If you're wiring in a new HFS from scratch then the Land Rover way of doing things is a little involved and requires some pretty expensive extra kit in terms of relays and their bespoke timer. If you're a competent electrician then you may consider my DIY approach which works the same way as the LR method but is easier to wire in. If your vehicle was built without the HFS you won't have the loom necessary to make it all work.

Have a look at my post here to see how I did it, with some switch modification guidance from Paul above...he's the switch master!

http://www.lro.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60317

Martin

Thanks chaps.

I think I will be taking the diy option. The truck dates back to '84, I renovated it it '98 and at that time I made a complete wiring harness. Partly because the existing item had been modified by a previous owner, using one colour and possibly a knife n fork, I also wanted to add many more electrical circuits than Land Rover had ever used.

Not in Ohio quite yet, awaiting a consular interview and a medical, but all being well should be on my way by the end of March. Just in time to see the last of the snow and cold temperatures. Just have to wait for next winter..........

Hi,

I have just ordered a new heated screen as a replacement for my cracked non-heated screen, so this topic has been very useful.

Having trawled a number of Land Rover sites on the subject of fitting a heated screen, some have suggested using larger sized cables, but not mention a size. What size cable should be used to connect to the heater elements?

Also can a similar switch that is used for the rear wash wipe be used, as this is more in keeping with the current dash layout i.e. fit alongside the rear wiper, or does it need to be a switch that is illuminated or has some sort of warning light?

Taking delivery of the screen next Wednesday, so just want to get the parts ordered over the weekend.

Thanks

Hi,

I have just ordered a new heated screen as a replacement for my cracked non-heated screen, so this topic has been very useful.

Having trawled a number of Land Rover sites on the subject of fitting a heated screen, some have suggested using larger sized cables, but not mention a size. What size cable should be used to connect to the heater elements?

Also can a similar switch that is used for the rear wash wipe be used, as this is more in keeping with the current dash layout i.e. fit alongside the rear wiper, or does it need to be a switch that is illuminated or has some sort of warning light?

Taking delivery of the screen next Wednesday, so just want to get the parts ordered over the weekend.

Thanks

Land Rover use 4.0mm2 cable for the supply and earth.

What style of dash do you have on your TD5, pre or post 2002 ?

You really don't want to use a latching switch for a HFS, you could easily burn-out the heating elements if you left it on for too long.

A non-latching switch that triggers a timer is how Land Rover do it.

DynaVT has posted a link to how he did it (above), using a cheaper timer relay than the very expensive Land Rover item.

A useful thread, seeing as my HFS has been performing a superb job of collecting dust at the back of my shed for the last few months. Must get it all fitted this summer.

Land Rover use 4.0mm2 cable for the supply and earth.

What style of dash do you have on your TD5, pre or post 2002 ?

You really don't want to use a latching switch for a HFS, you could easily burn-out the heating elements if you left it on for too long.

A non-latching switch that triggers a timer is how Land Rover do it.

DynaVT has posted a link to how he did it (above), using a cheaper timer relay than the very expensive Land Rover item.

Mine is an early TD5. The lower centre dash has the rear wiper to the left and the cigarette lighter socket to the right. Plenty of room in between to fit another power socket and switch.

To the right of the steering wheel, there is the hazard switch, rear heated window switch and rear fog light. There is no room on this panel for another switch, hence wanting to fit a switch similar to the rear wiper.

Thanks

Mine is an early TD5. The lower centre dash has the rear wiper to the left and the cigarette lighter socket to the right. Plenty of room in between to fit another power socket and switch.

To the right of the steering wheel, there is the hazard switch, rear heated window switch and rear fog light. There is no room on this panel for another switch, hence wanting to fit a switch similar to the rear wiper.

Thanks

There are lots of options for switches in this position.

You could buy a switch and cut a suitable hole for it in your centre panel, Carling Switches and Durite Modular Rocker Switches are popular -

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Carling_Switches.shtml

Carling-6-gang.jpg

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/modular.php

780sel.jpg

You can also buy new centre panels that are pre-cut for one or more new switches, along with your existing rear wash-wipe switch and cigarette lighter -

http://www.croytec.co.uk/products.htm

DSCF0136.jpg . DSCF0138.jpg . DSCF0140.jpg

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_centre_panel.shtml

OptionA-5.JPG

The choice is yours...

Thanks for taking the time to post those links. I liked the carling switches, and would probably move the hazard warning and rear fog light into the middle panel along with the switch for the heated screen.

Don't get to excited some of the screens are very poor, mine has only a 1" strip on the far right and a 2" strip in front
of the passenger seat that works!!

Screen was fitted this afternoon. Has 3 connections, does anyone know what they are? The fitter was not sure. He thought the centre one was an earth.

Thanks

Screen was fitted this afternoon. Has 3 connections, does anyone know what they are? The fitter was not sure. He thought the centre one was an earth.

Thanks

On a 3 terminal heated screen, the centre terminal is earth.

The screen has 2 heated zones - drivers side and passengers side, with a live connection for each side and a shared earth in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom