• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Hedge Hopper

Bounty

In Third Gear
For the longest time I'd been used to being carted around in a Discovery 2. I enjoyed it because of how tall it was which meant I never felt ill while riding around, front or back. This was alright for a bit but at some point I had to go my own way - what better way to do so than to continue the tradition and get my own Land Rover? Not just my first Land Rover, but my first car.

20190919_192318.jpg

It came in the form of a Freelander Td4 HSE. Bits and pieces on and off later since June and it's just about as close to the chariot of my dreams as it can get; with just one small addition that I've not been successful at.

Back to the thread title, I'm actually from a different forum and I've been keenly exploring one niche modification. However with nobody really certain what to do over there I'm hoping at least one of you might be familiar with this one

IMG-20191011-WA0002.jpg20191015_122528.jpg20191020_140348.jpg
20191020_123007.jpg

So, hello!

Morning Richie,

Good spot; ambient sensor and a loom from an MG ZT. Ammeter gets a difference across the wires so all the hardware is plugged in correctly but the T4 Testbook doesn't seem to agree with my instrument pack.

Three tries later and I've been dissuaded from going back but the process I've been attempting has been -
  • Vehicle Configuration
  • LCS Coding
  • IPK Temp [Enabled]
  • "Continue"
And I'm led to believe that I should have had a kind of 'out of range' reading at that point of -30 C, but sadly the LCD remains blank above the trip odometer so it's stumped me well and good. I was wondering if it was somewhere along the lines of being set to ECE as it's region, or because of it being a manual.. though I don't know why that would make a difference unless they made separate instrument packs for Auto/Manual vehicles.

Do you have the wiring schematic for the vehicle loom - before you start adding to it?

Other thing to try is to use a 10k potentiometer instead of the sensor to see if you get any readings at all up there. If you do you may be able to measure what resistance equals what temperature reading, and then spot what is actually needed as an input.

If it is only 2 wires involved it is probably resistive. If 3 or more it could be complicated.

Do you have the wiring schematic for the vehicle loom - before you start adding to it?

Other thing to try is to use a 10k potentiometer instead of the sensor to see if you get any readings at all up there. If you do you may be able to measure what resistance equals what temperature reading, and then spot what is actually needed as an input.

If it is only 2 wires involved it is probably resistive. If 3 or more it could be complicated.

2 wires, the input and an earth but I'm of the belief that the screen in the instruments should be showing me something regardless of whether the sensor is providing a input or not.

As for the schematic I've definitely added the input wire to the correct pin on the connector, so the sensor itself isn't to worry yet, just the vehicle programming which doesn't seem keen

Welcome to the forum @Bounty :) there is usually somebody here who knows what's what.

Me? Woooosh.... That's the sound of your project going over my head!

Morning Sandy! Not to worry - In Canada all vehicles are (were?) required to be able to read ambient temperature outside of the vehicle, the Freelander was one such vehicle so it should be possible for me to get it to work

...at least that was the working theory when I started it all

I have, it's been highly recommended since I set out on this but for reasons I'm still uncertain of, @Lovel and I arrived at very different outcomes as a result of that first step in post #1

I see you are from Cheshire @Bounty . North or South? I was in Cheshire for a few years.

North! With a little smidge of Wirral as well. Used to live in places like Ellesmere Port and Warrington before I arrived where I am

I got stuck in South Cheshire for a few years.... But Poynton, Manchester, stalagluft...whoops, Stalybridge, Crewe... All the errr, 'interesting' places :D

Left about 20 years ago.

Morning Richie,

Good spot; ambient sensor and a loom from an MG ZT. Ammeter gets a difference across the wires so all the hardware is plugged in correctly but the T4 Testbook doesn't seem to agree with my instrument pack.

Three tries later and I've been dissuaded from going back but the process I've been attempting has been -
  • Vehicle Configuration
  • LCS Coding
  • IPK Temp [Enabled]
  • "Continue"
And I'm led to believe that I should have had a kind of 'out of range' reading at that point of -30 C, but sadly the LCD remains blank above the trip odometer so it's stumped me well and good. I was wondering if it was somewhere along the lines of being set to ECE as it's region, or because of it being a manual.. though I don't know why that would make a difference unless they made separate instrument packs for Auto/Manual vehicles.

Who is doing the T4 LCS coding for you?

Once you get to the option of enabling the IPK temp option, T4 should start to write new LCS codes Which need to be followed through. Which version of T4 disc are they using DTL35X was the last Freelander version.

After writing the codes with T4 revisit LCS coding again to check if it has made changes. Obtain a screenshot. Tell me your LCS codes and I can verify them if the option has been selected Properly. My vehicle was configured for the UK market, it does not need reconfigured for North America to have this option.

The enabling on the instrument display will occur whether the sensor is connected or not. You just end up with -30degC until hooked up.

The enabling on the instrument display will occur whether the sensor is connected or not. You just end up with -30degC until hooked up.

That's great to confirm, I'd thought it at the beginning but I started to wonder if it was right

Who is doing the T4 LCS coding for you?

Once you get to the option of enabling the IPK temp option, T4 should start to write new LCS codes Which need to be followed through. Which version of T4 disc are they using DTL35X was the last Freelander version.

After writing the codes with T4 revisit LCS coding again to check if it has made changes. Obtain a screenshot. Tell me your LCS codes and I can verify them if the option has been selected Properly. My vehicle was configured for the UK market, it does not need reconfigured for North America to have this option.

I'd been visiting a Rover/MG independant to try and get it enabled, so the idea that they might have an older CD isn't out of the question. Not sure I'll get to ask them before the year is out but since it didn't work after several trips to them I'm inclined now to think that could be the cause

That's great to confirm, I'd thought it at the beginning but I started to wonder if it was right

I'd been visiting a Rover/MG independant to try and get it enabled, so the idea that they might have an older CD isn't out of the question. Not sure I'll get to ask them before the year is out but since it didn't work after several trips to them I'm inclined now to think that could be the cause
Are you able to view what they are doing on their laptop and obtain a screenshot or two especially the LCS codes screen might be quite interesting to see. If you can get a snapshot of the coding for the instrument pack and of course the screen to show that it was enabled.

What RDS Version are they using. Should be 6.0 for Landrover. MGROVER use 5.06 and it would require a complete software reload unless they have a dual drive?
7-A3-F51-CF-471-D-48-CD-AF17-7-F4-B1-B30-DD8-B.jpg

Are you able to view what they are doing on their laptop and obtain a screenshot or two especially the LCS codes screen might be quite interesting to see. If you can get a snapshot of the coding for the instrument pack and of course the screen to show that it was enabled.

What RDS Version are they using. Should be 6.0 for Landrover. MGROVER use 5.06 and it would require a complete software reload unless they have a dual drive?

Unfortunately they don't have any chance at seeing me this week, and of the two that own the place I got the one that isn't too savvy with the kit on the phone.

I'm off on holiday come Sunday, so it'll be a while before I get to find out what my LCS codes look like - unless there's a Testbook on Shetland, but I wouldn't hold my breath

Last edited:

7-A3-F51-CF-471-D-48-CD-AF17-7-F4-B1-B30-DD8-B.jpg
If your vehicle has been coded correctly for the the IPK temp sensor the VN string should read VN 2510000001 (checksum l)

As you can see the VN string above was my car before it was swapped over to the IPK temp sensor as the third digit was 0.

Have had a go at what I believe your vehicle specification are based on 1.8 Kseries petrol, manual box. it won’t be 100% correct. The strings below with checksums is probably close enough Though
C549-D1-FF-0-C0-E-435-C-92-CE-048601-EAD031.jpg

Last edited:
Have had a go at what I believe your vehicle specification are based on 1.8 Kseries petrol, manual box. it won’t be 100% correct. The strings below with checksums is probably close enough Though

Sorry about this - definitely won't be 100% correct because it's the M47R 2.0 Diesel, but every other option in that selection appears absolutely correct

Unfortunately they don't have any chance at seeing me this week, and of the two that own the place I got the one that isn't too savvy with the kit on the phone.

I'm off on holiday come Sunday, so it'll be a while before I get to find out what my LCS codes look like - unless there's a Testbook on Shetland, but I wouldn't hold my breath

‘But there is a T4 in Aberdeenshire if you are driving up and catching the Ferry to Shetland?

‘But there is a T4 in Aberdeenshire if you are driving up and catching the Ferry to Shetland?

Yes to of the above, but I'm planning on being up on Sunday - will they be open, or at least on the Saturday if I set off earlier?

<———- The T4 guy will be me. Saturday or Sunday or on you way back down. 20 miles north of Aberdeen

It'll have to be on the way up, I'm doing a circuit down the other coast. I prefer the Sunday but to get this project done and dusted I'm willing to visit whenever suits you, so as long as it's a time before the boat's check in ends at about 4:30pm I'm happy to do whenever

Back
Top Bottom