• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Hello from a Total dipstick!

DefenderBill

In Third Gear
This first appeared as a reply to a thread but I'm learning fast now to do a new post!
Hi, :bigwave:
:newbie:
I'm a novice at these forum thingys, and also relatively so with the Land Rovers. I did learn how to drive in a Series IIa years ago and am about to buy my fisrt Land Rover. The in between years (33 of them) have been Landyless, It may be a mid-life crisis (according to her indoors-- who has just been bought a Honda CRX del-sol DOHC Vtec-:rolleyes: - as her mid-life crisis), but I feel my life needs a Defender in it. Trouble is, I'm having trouble weighing up the 300Tdi vs Td5, and can't even decide 90 or 110 at the moment.
So I'l be logging on to try and gauge peoples opinions, & see if there isn't anything out there that will help me make my mind up! But me and my dog need a Landy soon..............

Hi and welcome.

Have a good trawl through the sections and see what others use/need there 90s/110s for to assist you in making your decision.

AJ

Hello and welcome.

CRX, mmm quick as S**T, but really wouldnt want to be in one if thew worst hapened, not renouned for their structual integrity....
:eek:

Cheers

Hello,

Back again, & having a good plough through some interesting threads.
I may have decided that 110 SW is what I need, the extra forward facing seats are going to be useful in providing a safer ride for extra passengers when needed. (Not all the childers have flown the nest yet........ but very very soon)!
Are ex utility vehicles worth looking at?
I've heard Environment Agency are better than most for looking after their fleet. IMHO Landies are not supposed to be bright and shiney, s**t and briney is more the image.

Any one got any input?

Thanks to those that took time to reply to my introdution.
Regards to all

:Mexicanwa

welcome :)

If you need the room (for ankle biters or 'stuff') then go 110. Despite the imposing size, easy to park, just watch out for car parks less than 2.1m high :rolleyes:

90s are 'cuter' according to my owner....

welcome :)

If you need the room (for ankle biters or 'stuff') then go 110. Despite the imposing size, easy to park, just watch out for car parks less than 2.1m high :rolleyes:

90s are 'cuter' according to my owner....

i get the same trouble with the PS10 i can get in without the canopie but if i forget ive got it on i ratel every sign in sight

good fun trying to back out of car park entries in big city rush hour as youve got 20 cars trying to get in.

Hello to you all,
I'm still undecided, but resigned to needing a 110 if I'm to be practical and sensible, but have always wanted a 90!
Dilemma.
Therefore I'm still looking.
No-one has commented on the pro's and cons of ex utilities vehicles, surely they can't be that bad.
Regards
DB

Hello to you all,
I'm still undecided, but resigned to needing a 110 if I'm to be practical and sensible, but have always wanted a 90!
Dilemma.
Therefore I'm still looking.
No-one has commented on the pro's and cons of ex utilities vehicles, surely they can't be that bad.
Regards
DB

hello and welcome

bigest problem with ex utillity veichals is that the engines do a lot more time than the rest of the machine. they tend to be serviced in acordance with the milage schedual but in the interim they spend a lot of time siting by the side of the road or rail line with the engine ticking over and if the miles had been done instead then they would probably have missed 2 services. this is usualy just to keep the work force warm or to dry them out. if you are byeing a nice tidy looking ex utility its worth remembering that although low milage you may have to replace the engine. through hours used.

hello and welcome

bigest problem with ex utillity veichals is that the engines do a lot more time than the rest of the machine. they tend to be serviced in acordance with the milage schedual but in the interim they spend a lot of time siting by the side of the road or rail line with the engine ticking over and if the miles had been done instead then they would probably have missed 2 services. this is usualy just to keep the work force warm or to dry them out. if you are byeing a nice tidy looking ex utility its worth remembering that although low milage you may have to replace the engine. through hours used.

You're quite right hodghog, this is exactly what I do as a driver for NHS Out of Hours GP service, I usually sit in the Honda CRV with engine running whilst Dr. is in seeing patient!
The 110 I had seen was 'T' reg 134K miles and appeared to have been serviced frequently both mileage and/or date wise.
I know bulkhead/ windscreen surround are areas prone to corrosion but under 'normal' conditions at what age would this become apparent?
Still can't resolve the 90/110 dilemma, will be looking at a 90 tomorrow!
Again thanks for the input
Regards
DB

Last edited by a moderator:
You're quite right hodghog, this is exactly what I do as a driver for NHS Out of Hours GP service, I usually sit in the Honda CRV with engine running whilst Dr. is in seeing patient!
The 110 I had seen was 'T' reg 134K miles and appeared to have been serviced frequently both mileage and/or date wise.
I know bulkhead/ windscreen surround are areas prone to corrosion but under 'normal' conditions at what age would this become apparent?
Still can't resolve the 90/110 dilemma, will be looking at a 90 tomorrow!
Again thanks for the input
Regards
DB

im sorry i cant help there as i drive a spanish clone all be it one on steroids)

good fun trying to back out of car park entries in big city rush hour as youve got 20 cars trying to get in.

You try it in an ex-mod 109" on steroids with a Canvas roof and no bleeding reverse light! People soon move when you continue to roll towards them!

Hi everyone,

Search over, I am now proud owner of 300tdi in a 90.
Only had it one day and her indoors as bugg*red up the rear door handle/lock!
Such is life with a Landy, I think I'll call her Linda.
DB

Back
Top Bottom