• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Help! TD5, changed starter. Cranking, not starting. Any obvious pointers?

Adriang

Shifting Up
2002 TD5, just fitted a new starter as the solenoid was starting to play up, devil of a job with that top nut.

Back together, reconnected the battery, and its cranking like a champ, but not starting.

The starter that went in is a Denso unit. One that came out is labeled up as a LR unit.

I've checked all I can think of, and now stuck. Usually it starts on the button.

Any pointers, thoughts, ideas on the obvious before I start from the beginning tomorrow?

Check the starter RPM (should be between 200-300 rpm, can't remember exact for TD5).

I'm wondering why you replaced the starter in the first place, what problem was you having before you swapped it over?

The other obvious culprits to check are the fuel pump; check that it's running, and the crank position sensor (CKP).

Last edited:
Chances are the disconnection of the battery is whats caused the problem not the starter itself.
As per Cliff’s advice use a nanocom or hawkeye to check cranking rpm and voltage at ecu while cranking.
Even a cheapo obd2 coe reader should give you crank speed and ecu voltage. Probably not much else though as D2 is not standard OBD2 compliant.
If the battery connection or battery itself is at all iffy the engine will spin but voltage too low at ecu means injectors dont fire => wont go
If the new starter is ‘noisy’ electrically, this can interfere with the crank sensor and again you get problems => no go

If the starter was swapped out because of clicky clicky but only cranking intermittently then bear in mind the solenoid contacts can be replaced for cheap and pretty easily. That way you have a spare starter ready to use ( or sell on)

thanks, useful info.

Reason for the initial swap out was 'clicky clicky', the solenoid was playing up and starting to get worse. Intention is to repair it and keep it as a spare that I'll never be able to locate when I need it.

Its a really easy cheap and satisfying fix
Which makes the inevitable ‘invisibility cloaking’ when you need it…all the more tragicomic.

Back
Top Bottom