• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

how many different kinds of 19j engine are there?

There are basically four 19J engines for the UK market:

Manual steering with aircon / without aircon
Power steering with aircon / without aircon

Check your engine number on thr block to make sure it is a 19J. Next what about the parts you have? Are they genuine or pattern?

I can't remember the whole story now, but oculd it be these bits aren't fitting because it is a 19J in a non-19J vehicle, so some 're-engineering / fabrication' is going to be needed to make ancillaries go where they should?

there are four throttle cables or there abouts so it could be i need a different one.
the exhaust down pipe on the other hand , thers just one for all 19j's.
this is what wrang alarm bells. it fits on the turbo ok but where it bolts to the side of the block its way off.
could this be an ldv engine?

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 87
If it's a pattern pipe, they aren't always a very good fit. Try slackening the turbo end and see if it swings into place, it's always a good idea to connect the exhaust up loosely until you are happy it is all in line, then tighten it all up.

Never start at one end and tighten the parts, it will always need adjusting or it will hit the chassis or body.

Chris

The 1984-91 Sherpa used the 14j and 15j. Then 1991 on, they used the Peugeot, as Alex says, then a Transit engine from the later 90s. The new LDV isn't very impressive. Licence built, possibly a Tata or some other rubbish.

Chris

didnt they use 19j's in montegos or something?
anyway , ive had a look at the parts book again and there is a huge heat shield , now this bracket on the side of the 19j's down pipe , is this to hold the shield in which case its not supposed to bolt to the side of the block or does it bolt to the block?

didnt they use 19j's in montegos or something?
anyway , ive had a look at the parts book again and there is a huge heat shield , now this bracket on the side of the 19j's down pipe , is this to hold the shield in which case its not supposed to bolt to the side of the block or does it bolt to the block?

No that was a 2.0 perkins, common conversion for series I believe.

Yeah Perkins Prima. Fergie on here has a nice conversion in a Galvy chassis swb......really neat. That was a Rover engine that they gave to Perkins to develope. It`s allowed to compete in Rover trials.

Alex

so , anyways , guys , is the bracket on the td's downpipe to bolt it to the block (not sure why you would want to do this and the more i think about it , the more unlikely it seems) or is it to hold this heatshield thing on?
anyone know?

the bolt hole, shown in your pictures is to bolt the exhaust to the block,

the heat sheild bolts on a lot further up,

out of intrest is the exhaust all the way up top of exhaust against the colour from the bit on the turbo

Alec

yeah , i pushed it right up to the lip on the turbo and kept it flush all the way around, then i twisted it round to try and meet the bolt hole but it was way off ,as it is in the pic.

No but you could have cut a tear in that bracket and teased it over to line up with your holes. Then pieced another bit of metal in to fill the slot that you opened up. With a welder there is always a way.

As you are a keen Landy man it`s something to think about for the future.

I just sold a 130 amp unit to a guy for 70 quid. Which aint much when you consider the costs of all the other stuff we buy;)

Alex

yeah its certianly something to think about.
used to do a spot of welding when i was younger so im sure i could fall back into it ok.
it would make life a lot easier as well.

i know this might sound a bit daft but is bolt hole in any way a similar distance of to the diameter of the turbo. if the distance the bolt hole is off is close to the diameter of the turbo unit you may have a down pipe for a non turbo engine setup.

Back
Top Bottom