• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How many nipples am I looking for?

lozzd

Trekker
Hello,

Really showing my newbie-ness now. About to grease up my propshafts for the very first time! (Slowly getting used to doing everything myself rather than getting other people to do it!)

So I think I know how to use a grease gun (we'll find out later!) but what other tips do you have, and more specifically, how many nipples are on each prop? Or do they vary?

Cheers
Laurie :eek:

Clean each nipple :eek: before you use the grease gun. Then after to clean any excess. :eek:
I use kitchen towell :D

Check also the steering joints. They could be fitted with grease nipples.

Well that was fun (not!)

Blimey. And my local place I reckon the amount of going through big puddles I do I should do it every 3-4 weeks! ******! :D

The biggest pain in the ass was getting the nipples in the right place! Not alot of room under that car! haha.

Also I've got play in one of my UJs. Shaking it up and down and left and right, it moves in one direction and not the other. That means its knackered now doesn't it? The UJ on the other end of the prop is fine, no movement at all. AND it was that prop that had really short nipples on so I don't think I even managed to get any grease in the UJs :(

I'm useless :D

Yep you'll need to be changing that u/j.

If your having difficulty getting the gun onto the grease nipples get some longer grease nipples.
Difflock sell them. There's two different thread sizes. You don't know which one until you take the old grease nipple out.

What I did was to order four of each thread size. Then a trip to my locan nut and bolt supplier to buy some Allen screws to fit where the nipples hould be.
Each time I service I have to remove the Allen screw, fit the grease nipple, grease, remove grease nipple and fit Allen screw. :eek: That way I know I wont be breaking the long grease nipples when driving.

www.difflock.com

just a thought,
im no experet but to check your uj's isnt it a good idea to release the hand brake and take it out of gear?
make sure you have the vehicle's wheels chocked though or you might run your self over.

nobber, surely you're checking for play in the UJs, thus you don't want to see movement in the transfer box/handbrake, you just want to see if theres movement in the props?

Yup, but you can tell if theres movement in the uj's as the prop will turn a bit before it turns the yolk, thus turning the handbrake drum.
Buy GKN or Hardy Spicer (owned by GKN anyway:rolleyes:) UJ's, the others are pants and made of cheese. GKN/ HS UJ's will have grease nipples too.
No matter what length nipple you have on you'd be able to grease it. Have the nipple facing towards the side of the vehicle, that give you the most space as the yolks are wider apart there due to the angle.
I think your local place want your money every 3-4 weeks:rolleyes: Twice a year I do mine, and check the axle/ gearbox/ transfer box levels too.

Cheers, Ben

No matter what length nipple you have on you'd be able to grease it. Have the nipple facing towards the side of the vehicle, that give you the most space as the yolks are wider apart there due to the angle.
Ben

Do come and show me how please Ben. Or do you have a freewheel lift that you can drop the axles down enough.
Not that I've had any experience at this :D :D :D :D

I don't say things for the sake of only if I or somebody else can benifit. :eek:

Just greased mine...

my nipples don't look very long, but I had no problems as I have a very short grease gun :eek:

the wife doesn't mind, apparently... :rolleyes:

Wish I did have a ramp, I seem to spend more time under it than in it:rolleyes: Also when you put new uj's in, have the grease nipples in the same place as the one on the other end, means you don't constatly have to move the truck forward;) Can do one prop then shift it and do the other prop.

Cheers, Ben

If your having difficulty getting the gun onto the grease nipples get some longer grease nipples.
Difflock sell them. There's two different thread sizes. You don't know which one until you take the old grease nipple out.[/URL]

Or a smaller 'head' for your grease gun which will fit on the existing nipples without all the *****ing about with longer nipples etc..?

;)

Wish I did have a ramp, I seem to spend more time under it than in it:rolleyes: Also when you put new uj's in, have the grease nipples in the same place as the one on the other end, means you don't constatly have to move the truck forward;) Can do one prop then shift it and do the other prop.

Cheers, Ben

As I said.
Come and shew me.
You can't put a grease gun end into a smaller place than the yokes have.
Grindine the end of the gun is a no no.

I first came across this problem in 1969.
That's why you get the long niples but what would I know as a time served mechanic.

Mikeau
Plese point me in the direction of a smaller head for my Wanner.
My gun has the smallest head available.
I certainly don't find it staring about.

As I've said what do I know.
Well Mike and Ben you both please shew me my job.

To both of you
Please shew me how to fit a 10mm diameter bolt inbto a 6mm hole.

No need to get sh*tty fella. My uj's don't have long nipples and I don't have a special grease gun. Maybe you've got smaller yolks on your props, there are two sizes.

Mikeau
Plese point me in the direction of a smaller head for my Wanner.
My gun has the smallest head available.
I certainly don't find it staring about.

Sorry. Bit too far for me to come to show you my grease gun, but I did all of mine last week and my grease gun fitted on all the nipples (prop shaft and UJs) fine without extensions, grinding down tools or doing anything special...

I cant imagine that all grease guns are created in the same factory to some master pattern, so it seemed to me that, logically, some must be smaller/larger than others. I can only think that if you have the smallest that there is and they still wont fit, then there must be something wrong somewhere.

I'm only an electronics/computer engineer. You're the master mechanic, you figure it out.

:)

Sorry. Bit too far for me to come to show you my grease gun, but I did all of mine last week and my grease gun fitted on all the nipples (prop shaft and UJs) fine without extensions, grinding down tools or doing anything special...

I cant imagine that all grease guns are created in the same factory to some master pattern, so it seemed to me that, logically, some must be smaller/larger than others. I can only think that if you have the smallest that there is and they still wont fit, then there must be something wrong somewhere.

I'm only an electronics/computer engineer. You're the master mechanic, you figure it out.

:)
Nothing wrong anywhere.
A lot dependes on the year and supplier.
I think I'll forget trying to make life easy for people.
Makes it a lot easier for me.

The thing about this job is EVERYBODY is an expert. Even the electronics enginer knows more than the mechanic.
You figure that one

Sans Parole.

Nothing wrong anywhere.
A lot dependes on the year and supplier.
Of what? the UJs, the nipples or the grease gun?

The thing about this job is EVERYBODY is an expert. Even the electronics enginer knows more than the mechanic.
You figure that one

Irrelevant.
No offense, but I dont think you require any special skills to use a grease gun. As an experienced mechanic, it may take you a bit less time to do it (or not, if you have to fit longer nipples every time), but rocket science it aint!

What is relevant is that I did mine in about 10 minutes with no problems, while other people seem to be struggling.

What would be useful is if we could figure out why it was so easy for me and so apparently difficult for others.

Sounds from whats been said here like one type of UJ has less yoke clearance than another type.

While it seems odd that any manufacturer would make a UJ that didnt allow a grease gun to fit onto it, we have to assume that they do (cause the mechanic told me so). So in this situation, fitting longer nipples would seem to be an answer.

It would be nice to find out which UJ manufacturer dont allow easy greasing, as I would like to avoid fitting these next time I change one.

MikeA

P.S - I'm not just an electronics technician, Im also the bloke whos spent over 30 years maintaining his own vehicles, including building race and rally cars and building and preparing his own engines to race specification.

Just so you know Im not entirely out of my depth when commenting or trying to make helpful suggestions... :smart:

Of what? the UJs, the nipples or the grease gun?

Irrelevant.
No offense, but I dont think you require any special skills to use a grease gun. As an experienced mechanic, it may take you a bit less time to do it (or not, if you have to fit longer nipples every time), but rocket science it aint!

What is relevant is that I did mine in about 10 minutes with no problems, while other people seem to be struggling.

What would be useful is if we could figure out why it was so easy for me and so apparently difficult for others.

Sounds from whats been said here like one type of UJ has less yoke clearance than another type.

While it seems odd that any manufacturer would make a UJ that didnt allow a grease gun to fit onto it, we have to assume that they do (cause the mechanic told me so). So in this situation, fitting longer nipples would seem to be an answer.

It would be nice to find out which UJ manufacturer dont allow easy greasing, as I would like to avoid fitting these next time I change one.

MikeA

P.S - I'm not just an electronics technician, Im also the bloke whos spent over 30 years maintaining his own vehicles, including building race and rally cars and building and preparing his own engines to race specification.

Just so you know Im not entirely out of my depth when commenting or trying to make helpful suggestions... :smart:

I suggest you read my second post.
Nowhere have I said you HAVE to use longer grease nipples. I didn't need to use long ones on my Range Rover !
As I said earlier you have a lot more experience than me it seems.
I do suggest you look at ALL my posts.
Yes I too have built rally cars from a bare shell in my back garden. I too have built engines to rally specification since 1965.
However as you seem to know ALL about the type of prop fitted to defenders I would suggest to others that they follow your advice and not mine.
By asking which u/j manufacturers fits the u/j that doesn't allow easy greasing, you are shewing how out of depth you are with the situation !!!

Back
Top Bottom