• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How Do I? ignition relay again.

nobber

Extreme Landy Fan
im trying to have my motor running (19j) by the week end guys and i need to order up some ignition bits.
now first thing i need is a relay.
ive found two here but dont know which one is right.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...ys/relays.html

they are both high current relays , both 70 amp but one has a BrKt. and the other does not. so whats a BrKt. and do i need one? (r70 and r70n half way down page.)

second thing is the cable from the battery to the relay , what kind of cable do i need for this?

cheers,
Rob.

Seems similar to whats on my 12v side. so I would say yes. Im sure someone will be along to confirm shortly.

Series LRs dont have ignition relays - it all just runs through the ign switch and starter solenoid. If I'm not mistaken, the 2.5 and Tdi Defenders all use the SIII petrol ign switch. If that's right, you can just connect the solenoid to the ign switch start position like I have on my 109.

ooops , sorry , its not an ignition relay , its the heater plug relay im on about.
im still thinking in 'petrol'.

Nobber,

I've just had a look in Microcat and I see there are a couple of different part numbers for this relay.

Go to the dealer, take your VIN number with and ask them for the right relay. It seems that LR may have made some changes in the looms at some point.

Also, I've used VWP when I've been in the UK on business and they aren't particularly fast in delivering stuff. If you send that order form off tonight, you won't have the stuff by the weekend - sorry, but that's the truth.

The VWP 70A relay is what I used for the heater plugs because I had a petrol switch that had no heat position on it and was using a separate push button. Getting one with a bracket is handy as it allows you to attach it to something.

Nobber,

A couple of years ago, I fitted a Perkins diesel engine into a Series IIA that previously had a 2.5 petrol engine. That truck didn't have one relay, so I had to make up a loom with things like an ignition relay, glow plug relay, high and low beam relays etc.

This photo is was of "work in progress", but it shows the glow plug relay as well as the much thicker wire going from the battery to the relay and then into the heater plug. The second (thinner) red wire leading away from the heater plug goes to the dashboard so that I could have a visual indication of whether the relay was working or not.

I used a 40A relay for the glow plug.

Attachments

• DSCN0610.JPG
    DSCN0610.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 24
Nobber,

A couple of years ago, I fitted a Perkins diesel engine into a Series IIA that previously had a 2.5 petrol engine. That truck didn't have one relay, so I had to make up a loom with things like an ignition relay, glow plug relay, high and low beam relays etc.

This photo is was of "work in progress", but it shows the glow plug relay as well as the much thicker wire going from the battery to the relay and then into the heater plug. The second (thinner) red wire leading away from the heater plug goes to the dashboard so that I could have a visual indication of whether the relay was working or not.

I used a 40A relay for the glow plug.

cheers bud , thats a very similar set up to what i was thinking of doing.

..... I've used VWP when I've been in the UK on business and they aren't particularly fast in delivering stuff. If you send that order form off tonight, you won't have the stuff by the weekend - sorry, but that's the truth.

That is unusual :( , I have used the company on many occasions and have no complaint about service or delivery times at all.

Reckon the last time I used them was to order a 70Amp relay and socket [with bracket] to wire up the Heater plugs on my 200tdi Ninety:rolleyes: .

That is unusual :( , I have used the company on many occasions and have no complaint about service or delivery times at all.

Reckon the last time I used them was to order a 70Amp relay and socket [with bracket] to wire up the Heater plugs on my 200tdi Ninety:rolleyes: .

Maybe they are really good at getting stuff into Jiffy bags and down to the Post Office to be with you in the morning, and just less good at packing those HUGE boxes that they send by courier.

Back
Top Bottom