• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Inner wings

Jon V

Offroader
Any idea why Landrover used steel for the inner wings?
I am thinking of repair/replacing the rusted through steel with ali on my 2a.
Cheers

Dont know for sure mate,but two things spring to mind,
1] protection against fire. Round those times, fire in the engine bay was an ever present thought and anything to slow it down before it prevented you from vacating the premises was A Good Thing.

2] Steel is better able to cope with vibration and stress, thus slowing down the arrival of stress fracturing and other like problems.

Ash

Cheers

I thought that i would get a clear answer but now i am more undecied than ever. I posted this over at Motorheads, he and Des have told me that they have ali panels but others agree with you about heat ect.
I will have to have a dig in the shed and see what metal i can find. If i have enough ali i will probably try it and see how it lasts.
Thanks
:)

Jon, I still see you are a little confused.

On my wings there is a 2nd short panel running parrallel with the engine.
That one is ally.

The Mudshield ( steel ) I referred to is against the front of the Bulkhead Footwells & bolted through them.

Des.:cool:

Its cool Des, I understood what you were refering to.
I am just hoping to reduce the future rust areas as i rebuild and replace rusted bits. The Footwell mud shield is a prime example.
Its the strength factor that i am mainly unsure of.
Just to help my confusion i have now posted it on LRE :rolleyes: aswell.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom