• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

is your harness safe?

redhand

Big Landy Fan
I've been thinking of fitting rally/race style safety harnesses in the 110 and have been looking round the net for the best type to buy and for help on fitting em once I make my mind up what to buy.

Well I came across this page saying that Y type harnesses (3 point) should never be fixed behind the seat more than 4" below your shoulders. http://www.gforce.com/pdf/harnessinstall.pdf

I've seen a couple of landies where this strap goes behind the seat and down to either the floor or the back of the bulkhead. So where / how have you fixed your safety harness. does anyone know what the ARC regs are on fitting harnesses.

Its becuase in a heavy front impact it will compress your shoulders.

I have a 3 point haness and its attached to the top of my bulkhead. But not sure how low it is below the seat. But its not that much of a difference!

Propably a lot better than the original lap belt :)

Its becuase in a heavy front impact it will compress your shoulders.

I have a 3 point haness and its attached to the top of my bulkhead. But not sure how low it is below the seat. But its not that much of a difference!

Propably a lot better than the original lap belt :)

Yes I know what you mean. I'm thinking of putting some sort of hoop or bar behind the seat to attach mine to. as I have a bad back anyway I wouldn't want to make it worse. I may even put in an internal roll bar and that would hopefully solve the problem.

According to the MSA, the belt should, ideally, be mounted just behind the shoulders, betwwen ten degrees above and ten degrees below the horizontal. It is accepatable however to be up to 45 degrees downwards. So, on most road cars, the belts are fixed in the gap between the base and top of the rear seats.

On a Land Rover, I would attach them onto the top of the bulkhead with suitable re-inforcement.

According to the MSA, the belt should, ideally, be mounted just behind the shoulders, betwwen ten degrees above and ten degrees below the horizontal. It is accepatable however to be up to 45 degrees downwards. So, on most road cars, the belts are fixed in the gap between the base and top of the rear seats.

On a Land Rover, I would attach them onto the top of the bulkhead with suitable re-inforcement.

I have decided to do something similar but I am going to make a bracket which will bolt to the bulkhead and finish at the same height as my seat back, maybe a little lower and I will attach the seat belt to the bracket this will hopefully solve the problems of spinal compression and excessive stretching of the belt in the event of an accident. As I said earlier my back is bad enough as is it.

Back
Top Bottom