• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

jury duty?

biggmark

Trekker
one for legal minded ppl,mrs going on jury duty tomorrow,so do you think that jury duty is an infringment to your "human rights" in that you are forced to attend court against your wishes??????? mrs bloody terrified and with her job she goes into some rough areas,shes worried about comebacks,considering that one off her clients lives next door to a drug dealer :eek: whats ppls thoughts

one for legal minded ppl,mrs going on jury duty tomorrow,so do you think that jury duty is an infringment to your "human rights" in that you are forced to attend court against your wishes??????? mrs bloody terrified and with her job she goes into some rough areas,shes worried about comebacks,considering that one off her clients lives next door to a drug dealer :eek: whats ppls thoughts
I have done a week at jury service it is not easy to get out of you can get out if your self employed or you know the defendent i do understand your concern i was not self employed at the time it was a few years ago but i quite liked it the hours were good 9am till 3pm i am sure she has nothing to worry about :)

I'd plead insanity. There's no way I could make an unbiased decision. At any point in time I would change my mind. It would likely be the opposit of what anyone else thought based on what people looked like in court. I wouldn't retain any of the facts as being true but would go on how I feel & that could depend on whether or not I'd become bored & needed to go for a ciggie.
My idea of justice doesn't often tally with others & I'd refuse to believe anything on the basis that one side or the other were telling me it were the truth. Complete sceptic, total waste of court time & money, a moccary (sp?) of the system in action. I'd be charged with contempt of court & breaking the law if I even began to pretend to comply.
One should always be true to ones word & mine can change depending on all manner of factors not all of which are known by me.

I hope your Mrs copes better. Often you won't get picked but still have to hang round for another case & line up again. There's no way of knowing if it's going to seem cut n dried, 'they're guilty' or one that plays on the mind for some time after.

My other half has done it once & 2 yrs later they asked again but he was awaiting surgery so wrote them a long letter to be excused & we haven't heard since.

I'm not sure if fears of retribution need to be considered as real or not.
When 2 youths were taken to court for beating up my son the stuff about not being harrassed was laughable. One of the accused was in his class & the 18 other youths he couldn't name were in the same school so he was threatened daily but they were smart about it. No threat was taken seriously by the school & the kids said they'd stab him outside of school anyway so it would have been a police matter not theirs.
Even when they paraded around our house or tried bottleing them when they went to the shops, we could not prove that it was related to the court case.
Not worth living in fear. A justice exists for the guilty somewhere down the line. Not sure that the innocent always find theirs though.

biggest prob i got tho(thru family)is i know a lot off the idiots that may well end up in court,as soon as they hear her name then they think "ohh she`s related to so and so",and if verdict doesnt go their way ........well me gotta go sort them out lol or send family lol but i think she`ll cope ok ,well she got to cope with ppl who suffer from Dementia(and she gets all the worst cases :( )so a court case should be a piece of cake for her lol i hope

I suppose all you can do is be a support for her and get through it by feeling that your are doing the right thing.
She's not allowed to discuss the case with you anyway so you aren't going to know who the accused are & I don't think they give out the jurers names but I could be wrong on that. It's a bit of a pain when they recognise your face but you don't know them. Strangers become a threat & by association you can't be sure who is a friend. Just remember that's no way to live your life & you'll both be fine.

She can submit a sick note from her doctor, saying that she is to sick to attend.Although the GP will not normally give sick notes just cos your scared to go, however if you have a, lets say a bad back which makes moving very difficult,,, well then thats reason enough.....

When you go to court wear your best suit and a blue tie and try to look like you're planning to find them guilty regardless of the facts. Have a go at falling out with the prosecutor too. If they think you look like you'd be unsympathetic to criminals there's a good chance they'll object to you and you'll not end up on a jury at all. May be worth a try.

What if everyone shirked,skived or feined sickness out of their civic duty and responsibility of Jury Service?

I'm sure if someone had committed a crime against you (rape, GBH etc), you would want the Crown Court to be fully manned with a jury in order to come to a fair and just verdict.

AJ

do you think that jury duty is an infringment to your "human rights" in that you are forced to attend court against your wishes???????

I think jury duty is key to our human rights. Without it, human rights are completely at the mercy of a single judge or if the court asked for volunteers, then they'd be full of the 'hang em and flog em' crowd who'd return this country to the dark ages in a blink of an eye. By randomly selecting jurors, there is the chance of getting some sort of intelligent objectivity and insuring human rights for everyone. Remember, innocent people end up in court as well as guilty ones. We have a responsibilty to protect them.

mrs bloody terrified and with her job she goes into some rough areas,shes worried about comebacks,considering that one off her clients lives next door to a drug dealer :eek: whats ppls thoughts

Does she know yet what the case is? I didn't think that you found out until the case came to court. The chances of it involving someone she's working with or near is extremely slight. Crimes occur all over the place , not just in rough areas. It could be a crime of passion in the 'posh part' of town. If however, it does turn out to be someone she knows, then she can always claim a conflict of interest and get removed.

What if everyone shirked,skived or feined sickness out of their civic duty and responsibility of Jury Service?

I'm sure if someone had committed a crime against you (rape, GBH etc), you would want the Crown Court to be fully manned with a jury in order to come to a fair and just verdict.

AJ

Well said that man!

Just go and go your duty.

I would love to do jury service but I have never been called:(

cheers, Tim

You can do mine if you want. Next month.

I still think it's something that has to be done, but I worry that as I've been called up once, and will go, they may see me as an easy target and call me up again very soon. I'm the only chap in my office doing what I do, and so two weeks off really is going to get in the way.

If your Mrs knows some of them, then surly she should not be being called up?

AJ
Call me a cynic but do you believe in the system?

Call me a cynic but do you believe in the system?
Jury Service or the Criminal Justice System?

I do believe and have faith in our Criminal Justice System although there is always room for improvement just as with most things.

AJ

She can submit a sick note from her doctor, saying that she is to sick to attend.Although the GP will not normally give sick notes just cos your scared to go, however if you have a, lets say a bad back which makes moving very difficult,,, well then thats reason enough.....

That's also fraud ;)
Also if you are signed off sick and you attend work and have an accident you are also not insured... not the best route to go IMHO

It did bother me for a time wondering how I could prove insanity. I would have to argue my case, give valid reasons & have them be believed and understood. In doing so a Judge would consider me sane, having thought it through to it's conclusion and knowing the possible consequences to my actions I'd probably still be locked up for contempt of court. So it would probably be easier to bow most politly & say yes with the majority... which would definetly make me mad.

Back
Top Bottom