• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Land rover series 3 Pistons

Tico79

In Fourth Gear
Hello, recommendations on Bearmatch pistons to rebuild a new engine, quality and reliability.

Cylinder Block, Connecting Rod, Camshaft will be sent for inspection

who has had good and bad experiences with this brand

Land Rover Series Petrol 2.25

I appreciate your recommendations

Thank you

Legends

Hello, recommendations on Bearmatch pistons to rebuild a new engine, quality and reliability.

Cylinder Block, Connecting Rod, Camshaft will be sent for inspection

who has had good and bad experiences with this brand

Land Rover Series Petrol 2.25

I appreciate your recommendations

Thank you

Legends
Assuming petrol engine these the best supplier in Uk,but you could contact them for advice.

If it needs a rebore can the company doing the worknot supply them?

Shipping to Costa Rica maybe an issue!
The shipping would be to Florida USA and then I will move them to Costa Rica. My sister is traveling from Florida to Costa Rica next month.

I don't know if I told you that I don't want to invest a $ in the current Cylinder Block because at some point the previous owner broke it and welded it one side. I'm going to buy some used and have them inspect them carefully before I put a $

I think I will buy them today from Tunners.I sent them an email asking for the available measurements and brand, most likely the cylinders will need to be sleeved
In the block will use, it would be very lucky if the cylinders are at STD or .10, so I think will good size 20 or 30 pistons

what you guys think

Last edited:
The shipping would be to Florida USA and then I will move them to Costa Rica. My sister is traveling from Florida to Costa Rica next month.

I don't know if I told you that I don't want to invest a $ in the current Cylinder Block because at some point the previous owner broke it and welded it one side. I'm going to buy some used and have them inspect them carefully before I put a $

I think I will buy them today from Tunners.I sent them an email asking for the available measurements and brand, most likely the cylinders will need to be sleeved
In the block will use, it would be very lucky if the cylinders are at STD or .10, so I think will good size 20 or 30 pistons

what you guys think
I think I’d wait until the block has been lined or rebored so you know the size you definitely need 👍

I was going to say the same but then perhaps time is a factor and he cant wait and needs to get pistons ordered so his Sister can take them over..?

In which case its a gamble which ones you will need once the the block has been inspected.

If it were me Id probably buy the largest oversize as;
A. Its unlikely to be rebuilt and need new pistons again
and
B. more capacity is always better! :D

I was going to say the same but then perhaps time is a factor and he cant wait and needs to get pistons ordered so his Sister can take them over..?

In which case its a gamble which ones you will need once the the block has been inspected.

If it were me Id probably buy the largest oversize as;
A. Its unlikely to be rebuilt and need new pistons again
and
B. more capacity is always better! :D
A good point đź‘Ť

I hope between today and Wednesday to send the block to be inspected. Turner told me that 2 to 3 days will take for the the pistons to be in Florida after ordering .

so I'm going to try to check the block first.

and yes the idea is that my sister can bring them

Question, are the series II, IIa, III blocks the same for both diesel or petrol 2.25 - 3MB.

I want to know to choose the correct blockthis is the Cylinder Head in the current block and some block numbers.

Engine Number 151019617

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 32
You can buy liners that restore it to standard size, that might be an option worthy of consideration.

I'm considering doing that.

The only thing that stops me is knowing if the welding in this part will affect me in the future or present.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-19 at 9.39.38 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-19 at 9.39.38 AM.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 30
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-19 at 9.39.27 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-19 at 9.39.27 AM.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 30
That welding....it's not in a water jacket, not getting any pressure on it. It looks like it's been dropped and broken. Or been hit....or had a rod break and spit it's way out (doubt it, there, but who knows?)

Years ago before we had decent antifreeze we used to drain the block down at night. I have seen cracks in the block Stitch welded and then a lead plate over the top. So I don't think I would be massively worried where that is.

That's not to say if a better block without a weld presented itself I'd turn it down.

That welding....it's not in a water jacket, not getting any pressure on it. It looks like it's been dropped and broken. Or been hit....or had a rod break and spit it's way out (doubt it, there, but who knows?)

Years ago before we had decent antifreeze we used to drain the block down at night. I have seen cracks in the block Stitch welded and then a lead plate over the top. So I don't think I would be massively worried where that is.

That's not to say if a better block without a weld presented itself I'd turn it down.
A mechanic friend gave me a block, he says he has about 7 and he's going to choose the best one.

but the block is going to need liners

I think I will order the pistons from Turner STD

Back
Top Bottom