• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Major Oil leak

JT627

In Second Gear
Hi All,
My son has a 2012 D90. Upon completing a 100 mile drive at the weekend, he parked up and noticed oil had splashed up at the back. When he looked underneath he could see oil was dripping from various places with some pooling under the engine. It was very low on oil when he checked the level. I opened the bonnet and there was oil all over the engine bay, underside of bonnet etc. I had it to the garage yesterday and they have given it a good clean, filled with oil but could find no cause for the leak!? It’s been idling for an hour and driven for a few short hops but no further oil leaks. Any ideas?
Thanks
JT

Seems a strange one that .i would go for a longer run making sure plenty of oil in it and see what happens.
Oil travels in many directions when it leaks so it may not be from where you think it is coming from ..
What engine is that 2.2 tdci ?

Have to admit - I don't know anything about the tdci - saw similar issues on 1990-2010 VW engines, where the breather would become blocked or partially blocked (they used a mesh filter on the bulkhead at the back of the engine) that would pressurise the engine and cause it to leak nearly everywhere you can think of.

Check for rubber breather hoses collapsing (spongy to touch) in case one has blocked and caused a similar issue.

Hopefully one of the tdci chaps has a better idea of possible causes :)

I would be checking several places that come to mind.. The plastic valve cover housing to see if its leaking from it's joint.. Oil filler cap. And dip tube, the breather hose connection onto the valve cover and along the rear of the block where the vacuum pump sits..
This may be right out of order.. But you take a vehicle in to a garage that's covered in oil and obviously lost a fair bit.. They clean it but can't find the source.. 🤔
That sort of indicates to me they can't be arsed to do what is necessary to find it.. Its obviously gat a problem..
Hope you get sorted..

I'm with Thinman21 on this one. I know nothing about the D90 but I've seen this type of thing before. A malfunctioning PCV system is is the only thing that can move that much oil that quickly. In my own experience they got full of moisture and froze shut, but I'm sure any kind of blockage might have the same effect.

T
I'm with Thinman21 on this one. I know nothing about the D90 but I've seen this type of thing before. A malfunctioning PCV system is is the only thing that can move that much oil that quickly. In my own experience they got full of moisture and froze shut, but I'm sure any kind of blockage might have the same effect.
Thanks will investigate with my normal garage

Back
Top Bottom