• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General Military door top, stud removal (rotating insert)

clarko74

Shifting Up
I know this is a common problem and there are quite a few threads about it, but my issue seems to be a bit different. I have alloy door tops and am trying to get the studs that fix through to the door bottoms out. Three out of the four came out without any problem, but the last one is proving to be tricky.

The steel insert has become detached from the door frame and it's so rotating with the stud as I try to remove it. There is access to the top of the stud/insert and I have used a Dremel to grind a slot into them. I was hoping to then use a screwdriver to brace the insert against the frame to undo it, but it is so tight that if I put any more torque onto it it's just going to mash up the soft alloy frame.

1000044145.jpg

1000044146.jpg

I was thinking of grinding another slot at 90 degrees to the first one and then making some sort of tool that would engage with the inset but not the stud. But before I do this and potentially grind away more than I should I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how you got the stud out? And how are the inserts fixed into the door frames as I'm going to have to secure this (or a new one) to the frame once I've got the stud out.

All of this would of course have been much easier if I had done it before the door tops were painted!

Back
Top Bottom