• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Mounting spare wheel on S3 rear door.

chris_debian

Trekker
Hi,

I'd like to mount my spare wheel on my S3 Stationwagon rear door. I have seen the bolt-through bracket kits that you can buy, but want to make sure I get it right.

My rear door looks like it has a patch on the bottom half of it, which i've seen on other Series vehicles. it looks the same shape as the mounting bracket. Is it related, at all.

I have enclosed a pic, hopefully you can make-out the detail. I had to shrink the pic to 800x600 for the forum.

Cheers,

Chris.

Attachments

• ldr3_800_600.jpg
    ldr3_800_600.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 95
It looks like someone had a spare mounted there before and covered the mounting with that plate. There is a lot (that would be A LOT) of opinion that mounting a tire here is a bad thing. Personally, I think it is a good place and I have my 235 85 x 16 tire mounted here with no problem. Well, a little different and I would find it a problem to mount it right there. That is the normal spot to mount the spare BUT it puts it too blessed low. The bottom of the tire interferes with the tow bracket and hangs low enough to snag on the ground when crossing a ditch or going up a steep incline. so low that it could seriously damage your door when dragging on the ground. The fix is easy, when you take the interior panel off the door to put on the bracket, you will notice the bracket nicely fits up a bit higher. Put it here and your spare won't drag on the ground and won't rip your door apart when off-roading. My tire is mounted a bit different because I don't have the whole weight on the bracket, I have four 1" inch rubber spacers mounted to the door that the widest part of the sidewall rest on. This takes the stress off the bracket and spreads it over the whole door. When mounted in the higher location, some of the tire does intrude on the window but is not overly intrusive to your rearward view. The spacers have to be mounted so there is enough room to get your hand on the door latch, this is an important adjustment when mounting in this location and doesn't exist when mounted in the ground dragging position.

Mine had one mounted when I bought it, but I'm with the "It's just not for me" crowd. Yours was definitely a bit lower than mine was. It was an OK setup, I suppose. I've just never been one who liked a lot of extra stuff hanging off it. I like things tucked neatly away inside whenever possible. (If you lived nearby, I'd give you the bracket I took off, as I'm sure I'll never use it again.)
Just my opinion.:)

George

Attachments

• rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 71
Hmmm,

Interesting comments. I like the look of the tyre on the bonnet, but it reduces my field of vision, and it makes the bonnet a little heavy (not the end of the world!).

Thanks,

Chris.

I have mine mounted on the rear door but higher than both photos suggest.

Take off the inner door panel and you will see the door frame, part of which is almost in the center and almost a square. I used that as a guide for the size and position. Make the bracket and bolt to the door using the door frame to strengthen the mount.

I have found this to be the best place for my spare wheel.
Any probs and I will try and get photos this weekend, its pi55ing it down now and blowing a gale to boot.

Russ,

The weather is the same here, I will not be doing any work on the Landy, today, or tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Chris.

If you intend to use it off road seriously consider mounting the bracket higher- and possibly add a third hinge to the rear door to help take the extra weight and distribute it a bit better. Those are both common mods over here. I used to have mine on the back in the stock position but after some gnarly off road adventuring the tire caught as I departed a ledge and bent the whole rear door.:eek: After that episode I kept the spare inside or on the hood. I'll likely replace my rear door spare carrier this year with a jerry can holder.

The problem with the spare on the door that I found (apart from the strain on the door, and the hinges) was that A)if you mounted it in the lower position, you had to drop the towball down to clear it when you had a trailer on, and B) in the higher position its a struggle to get to the door handle. (205 x16's)

I have since got some 8 spoke wheels, and they wont fit the spare carrier anyway, as the offset is different. So, mines on the bonnet. (which I had to alter the carrier for too, again cos of the offset)

I have had mine in the rear against the tub bulkhead, but this reduces carrying capacity, on the bonnet which I agree looks good but it does affect how much of the road you see in front of you. This is more apparent when manoeuvring into a parking spot etc. I now have it on the back door. I fitted a military wheel mount to a Wolf rear door which has 3 hinges to ease the strain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you are going to use you landy for, I seen the spare one on a play day site, crack the bar going across the middle and break the rear glass when the vechicle came to a sudden stop in a bog

On mine i place behind the bulkhead using the proper fitting makes the door lighter too.

Behind the bulkhead, using a clamp, was my preferred option.

Unfortunately, as I have a SWB Stationwagon, the clamp does not appear to be compatible. If the wheel is upright and clamped, you wouldn't be able to fold the seats down, fully. Hopefully that makes sense! :)

Just a word of caution from my experience when i was in the trade.
We did see quite a few series landies where some well meaning person had improved the rear departure angle/tow bar usability by raising the spare wheel carrier on the back door by remounting it above the crossbar. This worked fine untill the vehicle was subjected to rough roads and tracks, this was in pre parabolic days. The result was that the carrier not having all 4 sides supported anymore only the bottom and sides basically tore the middle out of the door. I cured this on mine before it happened by fitting an extra crossbar higher up in the door frame so that the carrier had all 4 sides supported again.

Attachments

• P1120001.jpg
    P1120001.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 70
I cured this on mine before it happened by fitting an extra crossbar higher up in the door frame so that the carrier had all 4 sides supported again.

Thats very much what I have with mine. It was fitted lower down, so I have a piece of steel on the outside as well, to fill the first lot of holes, and the steel on the inside like Phils.

AND, now I dont carry the wheel on it....:D Its strong enough to stand on though, when reaching into the roof rack!

I have mine mounted on the rear door but higher than both photos suggest.

Take off the inner door panel and you will see the door frame, part of which is almost in the center and almost a square. I used that as a guide for the size and position. Make the bracket and bolt to the door using the door frame to strengthen the mount.

I have found this to be the best place for my spare wheel.
Any probs and I will try and get photos this weekend, its pi55ing it down now and blowing a gale to boot.

Well, I got the photos at the weekend, but how do I get them on here?

Russ.. resize the pics to 800x800 pixels maximum, then click reply (to makle a new post). Further down the reply to thread box (bleow submit reply) is a a button "Manage attachments".

Click that, it opens up a box for you to browse for the pic you want to upload. Find the pic on your hard drive, and then upload the attachments. When its uploaded them, you can close the window, then submit your post in the usual way.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

I'd like to mount my spare wheel on my S3 Stationwagon rear door. I have seen the bolt-through bracket kits that you can buy, but want to make sure I get it right.

My rear door looks like it has a patch on the bottom half of it, which i've seen on other Series vehicles. it looks the same shape as the mounting bracket. Is it related, at all.

I have enclosed a pic, hopefully you can make-out the detail. I had to shrink the pic to 800x600 for the forum.

Cheers,

Chris.

on my dads series 3, my bro put a swing arm on the back looks ok, as the rear door was a tad bit crap and flimsy, i'll post up some pics of ours on here later, but personally i like the look either way.

I hope this works and they are worth the very long wait.

The one of the inside clearly shows the 6 mounting bolts. Also shown is the center(third) door hinge I added.

The side view shows angle iron welded to the top of the plate, this was added later because the plate was flexing.If I ever made another I would still make it out of the same materials, thicker plate would mean more weight.

The outside view shows the hight of the wheel on the door.

Attachments

• wheelcarriersideview.jpg
    wheelcarriersideview.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 21
  • wheelcarrieroutside.jpg
    wheelcarrieroutside.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 28
  • mounting boltsinside.jpg
    mounting boltsinside.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom