• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My car is terminally ill!

roythebus

Accelerating Away
My trusty 2008 TDV8 Vogue has died! I got it about 8 years ago and apart from a transfer box failure and the usual wearing out hings hs been quite reliable and was running nicely. I had a problem a few months ago with the steering lock jamming and some vibration from the sront end. I got all the front suspension rubbers changed and a couple of weeks later new discs and pads all round and new caliper. I'd recently put a new battery in as the previous one wasn't holding the charge. I was getting just on 30 mpg at motorway speeds and it was running sweetly.
Then it developed a problem of occasionally going into limp mode. Switch off and restart and the fault would clear, so I booked it into my indy garage on the south coast. they put the computer o and it showed some sort of air imbalance on no.4 injector. They took it for a test run and it started grey smoking and stopped. It wouldn't turn. Long story short, it took a day or more to get 3 injctors out, with the 4th coming out today. Expecting diesel or water to have caused hydraulic locking with suspected injector failure , engine oil came out!
Has anyone else had this problem? They suspect piston ring failure has caused it. The car has been regularly serviced by this garage and was about 1000 miles overdue for a service, but all the other stuff has been wasted! Feeling a bit gutted at all that money going to waste.
Now looking for a cheap alternative!
The car has done about 380,000 km so not done too bad over all.

Yes, I've looked into that, it'll cost too much to do that, i need something to get me going again quickly, I need it for work. A repalcemnet engine is about £3500-£4k fitted, I can get another car for that money. Just looked at a 10 reg Sprt with 3600 diesel, now concerned about timing belt life on that one if it has a belt.

As an update on this, it's now on ebay as a non-runner. cut my losses, shame because it was running really nicely for the last few weeks. Now replaced by a 2010 sport with black trim and red stripey bits. Not too bad on mpg, doig 25-8 mpg on motorway runs, but has a lumpy feel to the steering. Nothing is ever cheap with these cars!

Meanwhile, if anyone's got a decent V8 diesel they want to part with or want a car to go with a decent engine...the ebay sale fell through, time-waster based in Kenya, which is what I expected to happen

New car, the DAB radio doesn't have any reception nay ideas where to start looking? I've heard the aerial fin on the roof gives problems.

Also from the terminally ill car, what's the easiest way to drain the fuel tank? It's got about 70 litres of diesel in it!!

Thanks for that, someone else suggested that under the back seat there's a hatch for access to the fuel pump, take that out and pump or suck fuel out from there. Anyone tried that yet?

I drained a full tank of petrol from a dying SAAB 9-5 by using the Fuel return as a bleed point.
Connected in at this point and started the motor then opened the valve gradually to allow fuel to flow along fuel hose out into 5gallon cans.
Took only a few minutes to empty the tank for very very little effort. no cutting lines, jumping relays or disassembly required

Back
Top Bottom